Author Topic: Diary, week ending 31st July  (Read 4276 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Diary, week ending 31st July
« on: Monday 26 July 21 08:41 BST (UK) »
Well unusually I am starting the week off

It is very dull and overcast and we have had rain overnight, good news is my water butt is nearly full up, the wet weather has brought out  slugs, found 18 between last night and this morning, one cheeky one was actually hanging from a sweet pea bloom,  it is a lot cooler so I might ditch the shorts for a few days

What a shame the weather has turned just when the children are home on summer holidays, I am sure there will be lots of baking and painting going on if it is a wet week.

I have been gifted a DNA test kit, oh dear, didn't want to do one to be honest but I will have to now, wonder what that will prove or disprove

It is now Monday 26th, I hope everyone has a great improvement this week healthwise, we still have to be careful and aware

Take care folks

Louisa Maud

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary, week ending 31st July
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 July 21 17:57 BST (UK) »
A big contrast in your weather LM to here in the North East, it's been hot and sunny here although there's some rain forecast tomorrow afternoon.

I've managed to do a bit of gardening today with plenty of rests. Very glad to read that Caroline's OH is so much better.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 July 21 18:26 BST (UK) »
Lovely to hear that Roobarb and Caroline’s OH are starting to feel a bit better and able to tackle a bit of gardening again.  Hope things continue that way.

LM my OH recently received his DNA results, nearly 60% Scandinavian apparently although most of his ancestors that I have traced have not ventured out of Yorkshire!  We keep getting jokes about urges to go shopping at IKEA now.

Son was home for weekend for his birthday and has now gone to visit his Granny and other family members in Wales for a few days.

Take care everyone

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 July 21 23:02 BST (UK) »
Another week starts and here we are in the last week of July 😱

We’ve been waiting for rain but it turned out to be a beautiful day…so plenty of work done in the garden!

Glad to hear you’re making progress Roobarb…small steps back to normal unlike my OH who I think either feels he needs a challenge, is bonkers or plain stubborn!
He decided to cut our beech hedge today all 50ft of it… took him most of the day with frequent stops and my help but he feels he’s getting somewhere… tomorrow could be a different story!

LM it will be interesting to see what your DNA test turns up you may get some surprises…
Pinetree - I’m not sure how much credence you can take from the ethnicity part of the tests although mine came out fairly accurately… as far as I know…
Enjoy the sunshine while it lasts…

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 07:44 BST (UK) »
Gosh Caroline, I think I should take back the word “bit” when referring to your OH’s gardening efforts. It must have been very worrying and frustrating to be laid low for so long.

I must admit I see the DNA ethnicity estimates as more of a bit of fun than anything else.

Well first day back in the office today after working from home since March 2020. A bit strange but I’m sure it will soon feel like I’ve never been away.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hope your OH is okay today Caroline after that amazing amount of gardening. Sounds pretty exhausting even on a normal day, let alone post virus!

A big change for you Pinetree, hope it's all gone well at work.

A first for me too today, my first day out of self isolation. I went for a short walk around the field, was walking more slowly than usual but it wasn't long before I got tired. Cut across a corner and came home, felt quite breathless. Will have to build up slowly, however frustrating it is!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 15:38 BST (UK) »
Glad to hear you are up and running albeit a little slower than usual ,Roobarb,
and Caroline’s OH, amazing.

Well the thunder has arrived, rain but not as heavy as the sound effects would lead you to believe.
Am expecting a visit  from United Utilities re drainage at the front of the house, I have a service contract  with them.
Good if the problem is obvious when they come - anytime up to six O’Clock.

I can never relax and get on with things when waiting for someone ,especially when the time given is so long , would leave the front door open and vestibule one closed but the rain might blow in.
I have a doorbell ,and it is loud so I should just bat on.
I must also get a lock or at least a bolt on the inside of the vestibule door  then I can safely leave the front door open .

Will finish the chicken from Sunday for tea, tasteless, from M&S,supposed to be garlic butter ,but though it smelled delicious  ,taste was not nearly as good as the smell, and rather tough again, but done just to instructions so not me!
I am fed up with blurb that quite frankly is all too often just not true!

Well , will try to get on ,so look after yourselves and hope those ill will continue with good recoveries,.
Cheerio.
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 16:00 BST (UK) »
I am finding chicken is quite tasteless lately thought  it was me  but  my  husband  said  the same

We had a deluge of rain last night, a reasonable morning but rain again at lunch time, in and out with the washing, I decided to empty the whole of a double wardrobe and wash everything, what an idiot, I never realised I had to much "stuff", the charity bag should do well, sleeves to short now unless I keep my arms by my side, can't have my bingo wings flapping about

Everyone who is suffering take it easy and do a little and often, no good rushing to get better if you are affected again after, easy to say though isn't it?

I found a pattern last week so I thought I would make myself a blouse in white cotton, similar to embroidery anglaise, won't be wasted if it doesn't turn out as expected but I will give it a go, makes a change from masks

Caw1, the cousin who sent me the DNA has already had his done, mine should be the same as his on his maternal side which shows  Swedish blood, I should have as well if I can understand the results

My daughter's boss wanted her back at work 2 days a week, it would mean she would be in something not much bigger than a cupboard for 1 day on her own, she said she might as well be at home and just go in for one day and sit at her usual desk.

Looking brighter, lets hope  it stays like it, take  care everyone

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 20:11 BST (UK) »
Not a happy bunny today!

Was woken up by workmen digging up the road (cable) at 7.00am!!!   No warning whatsoever.   Noise unbelievable which went on all day (hence the thumping headache I have right now).   Luckily, I didn't have to go out as barriers across our car park entrance.

When it finally quietened - around 5.30 - I looked out the window and was pleased that they had organised it so we could now drive out of the car park but could only turn right as road still blocked on left.   This pleasure was short-lived however - just a few yards up the road on the right is a barrier going right across the road so road is blocked both ways.   Have these men got no brain cells!  Clear a way so we can get out then have a barrier  both sides!!!!   Worried for a neighbour who works at the hospital as currently there is no way she can get in and she has no clue. 

Will have to have a word with the men in the morning as I have to go to my nephews at 10am to look after 3 of the children, whilst he and his wife take another for a medical appointment with a consultant.   If I am unable to get out he or his wife will have to come and pick me up.   However, even if I am able to get out okay what will be the situation when I come home?   My sister had her hip done on 19th but has had problems with blood stats since.   Finally came home this afternoon and my b-in-law asked if tomorrow I would go and sit with her whilst he goes to a meeting around 6pm.  I'm obviously happy to do that but what will I find when I come home in the evening?   Will the road be blocked both ways again so I can't get into the car park?   Nowhere around to park - heaven knows where all the people who usually park in the road are having to park. It's a nightmare!

So, looking after 3 of my great nieces tomorrow morning/early afternoon then over to my sisters to sit with her for a couple of hours (at least no cooking for me as having dinner at my sisters).

Just need to know I can get home okay.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk