Author Topic: Diary, week ending 31st July  (Read 4255 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary, week ending 31st July
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 31 July 21 15:37 BST (UK) »
Good to read the improvements in health folks, it really is encouraging ,then I nearly threw my iPad at the radio, some employers want it mandatory that people returning to work must have had two vaccinations.
There are objections, civil liberties etc , so once more pussy footing around a major issue!!!
I see nothing wrong in insisting that people are vaccinated, for goodness sake, we are by no means out of this .
Ooooh it gets me mad. We all have civil liberties and one of mine is that eventually I will be able to circulate in company knowing everyone has been
vaccinated.Iam sure many more feel as I do.

Except in extreme cases where a definite threat to health will ensue, I see black and white in this, the rest of us ought all to be vaccinated . !
No vacillating about vaccinating!
Wishy washy legislation.!

Bought some “ Healthy  Glow “ Rose oil by Lacura  Aldi’s brand.
Promised me a warm rosy glow to my skin ,it gave a glow alright, and a prickling sensation that threatened a rash ,so upstairs, washed it off thoroughly .It is going back.

Walked down the road to town passing my old home ,I wandered through the gardens marking where a church used to be , things I had planted doing well,
roses, pyracanthus ,Rowan tree, ferns etc. Went behind the houses and my little strip of garden there is doing well, the climbing Rose needs pruning ,fuchsia gone mad, could not see into my courtyard garden ,but I am glad,my fish in the pond ,I would have fish napped them I think had I seen them.
A neighbour saw me and we had a chat and I admitted I was so sorry I left despite it being such a big house with hard conditions to cope with .
No going back now !
Shut up and get on with it!

Dry today, but a very dark heavy sky ,the containers need a good feed but if I water them with a soluble food like Miracle Grow, the neighbours will think I am mad after the rain we have had!
Think there has been a hedgehog in my back garden ,I don’t put slug pellets there ,poo on the grass this morning when went to feed the fish .
I would put cat food out but Henry the over the Lane cat would get it .
Well ,this won’t get the baby a new bib and tucker!
So cheerio, look after yourselves and thanks for the encouraging news .
Viktoria.

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 31 July 21 20:17 BST (UK) »
Thursday headed North for our little holiday. We have for the last couple of years picked a Med cruise but thats not happening yet I'm not sure I'd be happy.
 So staycation it is. First stop was the Royal Armouries in Leeds well worth the visit as we spent 4 hours looking around. We overnight at the nearby hotel and our next stop on Friday was York and the National Railway museum. The weather was against us and it rained and rained so our walk into York became a splosh!
 Our home for the week is Shortflatt Tower in Belsay Northumberland. A good base for the local sights and sites! So first site on Saturday was Housesteads Roman Fort along Hadrians Wall. Lovely clear views for miles. Then into Carlisle to visit the Castle and look round. More Roman ruins tomorrow at Vindalanda and Cheaters hoping for good weather.

The break will do us all good even with all the sightseeing lots booked and lots to see.

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 31 July 21 21:31 BST (UK) »
Sounds lovely Tazzie, we've had some lovely weather here in the North East, unfortunately Friday was when the rain arrived. The forecast is much better for the coming week, I hope you have a great time.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 01 August 21 10:57 BST (UK) »
Well folks, talk about rewarding bad behaviour, well it seems rather like that to me.!
Paying young people -mostly- to get their vaccinations!
We as a nation are wishy washy pussyfooters in these matters.

It ought to be the other way round , fined if you don’t get vaccinated because it it is not a personal choice anymore, it is crucial to this country’s move forward to get rid of the virus as much as possible ,or at least contain it.

Honestly, if I were a Nurse given only a 1%  pay rise after their valiant efforts last year and 3% this year I would be tempted to use blunt needles but being a Nurse,  of course I wouldn’t .
Funny what money can be found for isn’t it!
Viktoria.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 01 August 21 11:36 BST (UK) »
Second post today .
Up late last night .
Neighbour was still up,(I can hear her TV .)
Went to bed ,did  bit of a crossword then did not remember checking both doors were fully locked etc .
Went downstairs and  the front door first,TV next door still on.
Very late for my neighbour,I looked and curtains still open also vertical blind .
I went round but could not make out much so got a very bright torch and shone it in ,and there she was just in front of her chair ,on her back,
eyes staring.
I have a key but phoned her daughter and offered to go in but she lives just a few minutes away by car so came immediately .
I stayed up a while in case I could be of help but they did not phone or come
 round .
This morning her daughter called and thanked me, it seems  when she got up to close the blinds and curtains to go to bed her feet tangled in a soft throw
she puts on her knees,it was cool yesterday .
Checked over by ambulance crew ,a later check as they were passing
and she was still in bed when daughter spoke to me this morning .
But her little face, I thought she had died.
She is a lovely neighbour ,I wish I felt comfortable just going in - it could mean vital minutes but I need to be told by her daughter I feel .
Gosh, I hardly slept but I know her daughter would not have left her .

Fine today, more hedgehog poo on the grass ,must look for something to put some cat food  in but cats can’t get to it .
Cheerio.
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 01 August 21 12:32 BST (UK) »
That must have been an awful experience for you Viktoria but thank goodness you checked on your neighbour, heaven knows how long she could have been laid there otherwise. Hope you feel more settled now.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 01 August 21 15:16 BST (UK) »
Just trying to catch up ..
The twins are really coming on Annette .. they look so happy in the photo .. real water babies!

That is great news that your husband seems to be turning a corner, Caroline.  That must be such a relief to you both.

I am glad you are getting there, Roobarb.  It is good to know you are taking things gradually and you sound like you are improving well.

I hope you have lots of lovely memories from your Northumberland holiday Tazzie!

Viktoria, that is such a good thing that you were there to get help for your poor neighbour.  I am sure she and her family will appreciate having a good neighbour like you close by.  I agree though with Roobarb this must have been an awful experience for you to have to deal with.

My diary:
Spent most of the week working dayshifts.  Got in late Friday night after 12 hour shift and decided to wait until next day to put garden recycling bin out.  However, on Saturday the wagon turned up super early and I made a dash to the garden at dawn to get the bin.  Threw a coat over my nightie and pulled on wellies for wet grass.  So embarrassing that the men were pulling up just as I was pulling the bin out.  I hadn't even had time to rake a comb through my hair.  (My hair really needs a cut again now.  I must try and make another appointment soon.)  When a man took the bin handle from me I just fled back into the garden.  I decided to wait until later after they had gone to pull the bin back up.
Went to the library yesterday (my day off) to try to  look something up for someone on RC.  Did shopping (my favourite bread shop is going to close for their 2 week August annual holiday.) Pottered at home and saw family in evening.
Today I managed to get booked in to Church.   I was running late so I went for the bus.  This was coming along as I neared the stop so I ran like mad to catch it.  When I got on, the driver said that there had been no need to run and that he would have stopped.  I said that not all drivers might.  He said that he was a nice driver and would stop.  I thanked him and said much appreciated.  (I think I did the right thing to run as you can't guess who the nice ones are who might wait).
(Thinking of you Louisa Maud - hope you enjoyed your Church Service today).  I saw the new Pastor for the first time.  He seems very enthusiastic.  I was surprised to see that he is Scottish and sounds quite like Rab C. Nesbit.  He seems to alternate between shouting and speaking really quietly when on stage.  When speaking quietly, I had to listen extra hard as I haven't quite accustomed myself to his accent.  Seems nice enough though.  Lots of people at Church - I think they are gradually increasing numbers.
I am on a block of nightshifts starting from tonight.

Take care everyone.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 01 August 21 15:28 BST (UK) »
Oh ,night shifts for you RTL,that is quite an ordeal.
The travelling etc.
Funny you should mention Rab C Nesbit .
I have a DVD of the series.
One really makes me laugh .
Jamsie has gone to meet Rab who is just released out of prison.
Rab is cursing for having been imprisoned in the first place ,Jamsie reminds him of the reason why ‘ Well ,ye shuddna hae head butted that Polis horse “
“ Well ,it shudnae hae whinnied  at me in that Kelvin Grove accent “
Kelvin Grove being “ posh”.

Take care every one.
Viktoria.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 01 August 21 16:06 BST (UK) »
It has been ages since I have watched Rab C. Nesbit but I used to find this very funny, as I recall. ;D
Talking of accents, I have watched 'Gigglebiz' (Mr Tumble - kids TV) with a 'young one' recently.  I think the Geordie character on this is really quite funny and seems spot on .. especially with keep saying 'champion'.  You hear that a lot on Tyneside.  (I love the way the character keeps saying things like "I know what ah'm talking aboot I've been doing this for 20 years" and then comes a cropper at whatever he is supposedly an expert at.)  ;D  Just the other week a driver said "Champion" to me when I showed my travel pass and I also overheard someone ask in the street "How you keeping?" and the reply was "Champion."

Also, what you have written Viktoria reminds me of something that happened on the bus as I was going to nightshift, a few years ago, pre covid.
A group of inebriated women had got on the bus, and were quite loud and raucous.  We were just heading out of Newcastle, past a retro tea cafe on the corner across from the Great North Museum.  One of the women said that they should go there for tea some time.   Another woman in their group,  in a very loud, strident and derisive tone said "Tea? Tea?.... you would think she comes from Gos FORTH!".  The way she said it made me have a quiet chuckle to myself.  ;D A lot of Geordies pronounce it fast .. 'Gosfuth' . . but she  tried to say it in the posh way, like you might hear on the overhead tannoy on the metro.  Gosforth is where many of the big, posh houses are in our area.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner