Author Topic: Diary, week ending 31st July  (Read 4256 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary, week ending 31st July
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 01 August 21 16:27 BST (UK) »
RTL
12  hour shifts  regularly, think  I  would be  sleeping  in  all of the days  off I  was  given, I  do  admire you

Church is almost  back to normal, wearing masks and  allowed to sing, can  sit where we  like  and  with whom  we  like,  I  generally sit  on  my own  most of the time  anyway ,  I don't  want to  sit  next to someone who wants  to  keep talking, time  for  that afterwards,  no  chalice ,  I  think  if  will be  a  very  long time  before  that  returns  if  ever

Another  weeks starting, lets  hope  we  all have  a  better week and  our loved  ones are returning  to better health, oh  yes, and  some better weather please !!

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 01 August 21 18:20 BST (UK) »
Louisa Maud, my sleeping patterns now are absolutely abysmal.   I believe I am a functioning (just) insomniac - my sleep is often broken and I usually can't sleep for more than a few hours. I attribute this  to the decades of swinging between day shifts and nightshifts and working unsocial hours.  The only time I get a decent sleep is after a final nightshift of any week.  For some reason this is the only time my mind is able to completely switch off.  And I don't know what is going on with the seagulls around where I live at the moment.  They are so noisy, and this is apparent even through the night.

That is good that your Church service feels more back to normal.  At mine, I noticed that not as many as previous are wearing masks.  Even out and about it seems that it is about half and half now between those who wear masks and those who don't.  I will keep wearing mine though around groups, in shops.  I believe we are certainly not out the woods yet with all this. 
Our seating is still spaced out - people can sit with their bubble or on their own.  I agree LM .. it feels like it is taking forever for us all to be getting back to normal with Church services.
Well, I had better finish now as I only have a few minutes before I have to leave to catch my first bus.
Take care everyone .. wonder what this week will bring.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 02 August 21 02:18 BST (UK) »
Doing the hard yards RTL with disrupted body clock part of shift schedules, all the best with this next round.

Good to hear services are beginning to seem a little more normal for those attending, churches closed their doors here of course during the restrictions of numbers gathering. One locally tried to continue when shouldn't last year, resulting in quite a scare at the time but thankfully, with track and tracing and isolation imposed, contained. Also resulting in most being more cautious though or at least aware, numbers are likely down I think since reopening but otherwise operating as usual. The Diocese had live streaming masses from one of a few parishes on line all of last year, also available at a set time in the afternoon on one of the TV channels. Started when only 10 people allowed to gather but continued for those not wanting to mingle but not doing it now, can still find one on line from various places if go looking for them. A friend used to tell me all the ones she had virtually attended .... it's a long, long way to Tipperary from NZ, but that is one she 'visited'  :)
 I choose a quiet session, still a bit distracting with comings and goings but not packed like some, no chalice, advised not to shake hands following restrictions and that is still a bit hit and miss, do I / don't I , only a few wear masks and singing as usual. We are still asked to stay home if feeling unwell, RSV has had hospitals busy here this Winter and know one rest home where a friend is has gone into lockdown last week because of that and there may be others.

Re masks being choice or mandatory, as I commented on the train journey last week it is mandatory on public transport currently in NZ but some seem to see it as a choice. Wasn't really being judgmental in my graphic description of fellow passenger, she left me with an image  :D ... so hard to tell whether someone is making a statement re their rights or just couldn't care less really, can't judge a book by cover  :)  However, do the right thing to protect yourself and in turn everyone else.

The inaugural mass 3 day vaccination event ended successfully, initial hiccups were with registrations apparently and no queue for the jabs. Those booked registered at one venue where they needed to have more staff and that was rectified on Friday, then shuttle buses a short distance to the main venue where it all ran quickly and smoothly.

What a great neighbour you are Viktoria to your friend, so lucky having you being alert to any unusual activity and make a call but that must have shaken you a bit this time!

Those lovely waterbabies are enjoying their splashes Annette ... a tonic for all right there in their smiles too.

Have a good week all ...

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 02 August 21 09:44 BST (UK) »
I do not like “ The Peace” , I really do not.
Wandering in and out of pews shaking hands etc , I don’t wander far !
However it has been part of the service for a while but sitting near the back in a side aisle  (near a radiator) whoever is leading the service never gets to me anyway !
Others in the congregation do but never the Vicar.
I go as far as I can through the rest of the congregation but too far and the service re -commences and I am not in my seat.

However I have not had one visit or phone call ,card or any communication whatsoever throughout !
We are very short on Clergy though and a group Ministry of St.Andrew’s, St.Paul’s, St.Philip’s and Edenfield —-( St.John’s Shuttleworth has closed )
  is a heavy burden for one Canon and Lay Readers.
Hopefully before too long I can get down and see for myself what is what .
Otherwise my “ Sunday best “ clothes are redundant!
Viktoria.

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 02 August 21 10:26 BST (UK) »
re Church activities. We are currently still only having one live service per month, with a weekly Zoom affair covering the six churches in our group. I can't really cope with these.
We are in a transition period, with the possibility of some of the churches closing and amalgamating with others in the group. Lots of talks and consultation and discussion; I just hope that something positive comes out of it and not like previous consultations and discussions which were put on the shelf to gather dust.
We are moving forward in the next quarter however , with two live services per month, one of which we shall be sharing with another group in the next village (but not Methodist).
Sad to say our leader (!!!) is not the most dynamic and has little or no time for pastoral matters.
We may decide to move to a church nearer our home base which will be a wrench after more than 50 years at our current church.
Watch this space!
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Online Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 02 August 21 10:38 BST (UK) »
Yesterday was the first time the children at my church were seen since March 2020. I take the children and yesterday they took the service which was based around the story of David and Goliath and trust and the need to practise. I was so proud of them. The eldest two aged almost 7 and almost 8 controlled the service and did all the readings. The other 4 aged 3, 3, nearly 6 and 41/2 all took part. The baby brother of one child slept through the service! Two teenagers have come back to help and were wonderful I don’t know how I managed before.

I was able to sing in the choir again which I enjoyed. I’d taught the children to sign the chorus of “Give me joy in my Heart” and the congregation joined in with great gusto. I was shattered last night as I’d not had much sleep on Saturday night or the nights before, at 2am I was making David a catapult and thinking of my short address to the congregation.

I’ve actually began thinking about my family history again. I’ve not been able to settle to it all despite having been stuck in for months and months as one of the “extremely vulnerable”. I’m slowly getting back in the mood but it’s very slow!

PS most of the congregation were wearing masks, everyone was socially distanced except for the children. I didn’t wear a mask to allow for anyone to lipread me and because I was moving about from lectern, to choir to next to the children my glasses steam up and I can’t see! Normally with the children all the grown ups wear masks but not the children. The children did get a clap from the congregation.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 02 August 21 11:57 BST (UK) »
Well done  Gibel, you  must  have  felt elated, no wonder you  haven't  slept  very  well,

Radstokjeff,  it  will be  a wrench  moving from  your  church but  you have  to do  what  you feel happier with  in  the  long run

What  has  happened  to W/E 7th August  ?.

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 02 August 21 13:21 BST (UK) »
I've started a new thread LM, week ending 8th August. Always used Sunday as week ending at work so it's ingrained!

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=851545.0
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 02 August 21 14:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London