Author Topic: Marylin (Mandy) Rice Davies 1944  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Special Needs Girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marylin (Mandy) Rice Davies 1944
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 10:38 BST (UK) »
In answer to roycymru regarding the date of marriage for Eluned, sorry it doesn’t say.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 10:53 BST (UK) »
Davies    Marilyn R    Lewis    Merthyr T.    11a   984

could be her death in 1948 age 3

Davies    Marilyn Rose      Merthyr T.    8b   297

Tony

Thanks. Looks to discount this one, leaving the Mere GRO one, which the consensus seems to be the correct one. A fuller transcript of the Biography would be interesting as it would provide an alternative viewpoint

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 11:53 BST (UK) »
Reading this thread, I remembered I have the autobiography, 'Mandy' (Mandy Rice-Davies with Shirley Flack, published 1980).  Miraculously I knew exactly where it was, so I've had a look in there.

Her mother isn't named but there are lots of clues, and it makes you think her mother and father may still have been married to other people at the time.

Here are the relevant paragraphs:

‘The only tangible element of mystery existing in my young life was the reluctance of my parents  ever to discuss their past life. How and where they met, how they came to marry, all this was shrouded in secrecy, so that at an early age I deduced, correctly, that each had been married before and that I was not supposed to know.

Mother was born and grew up in Wales.  Her father, a professional soldier in the cavalry who never attained a rank higher than private, died young, leaving his widow to raise the family.  Mother was the youngest, and rather pampered I suspect.  She was very pretty and this led her to the stage.  Briefly.  Her career ended with a flop, and as job prospects for a girl from her background were restricted, she married at the earliest opportunity, producing a son and daughter in fairly close succession.  During the slump of the thirties, her husband believing they stood a better chance of survival by leaving Wales, moved the family to the Midlands where opportunities seemed brighter.  It was there she met my father.'

[some paragraphs about her father’s family]

'Daddy had been transferred to the Birmingham police force at the beginning of the war and had met my mother.  In old age he has taken to making humourous allusions to their meeting.  ‘She seduced me’; but thirty years ago when the memory was still fresh the immediate past was a forbidden topic.

By the time I was born in October 1944, Daddy had been called up as a radio officer in the Eighth Army.  He saw his baby daughter Marilyn once before being sent overseas, and I was already a toddler when we met again.  My family circle consisted of me; mother; her daughter, my half sister, Margaret who was 16 when I was born and was a second mother to me (my other half brother and sister were never part of our family); and for a brief period, my maternal grandmother, a fierce old lady for whom I felt a healthy disdain.’

So, no definite answers, but a bunch of clues  ;D

There's a younger brother David, and after the police, her father worked for Dunlop.

hth   :)
Lisa

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 11:59 BST (UK) »
There's a birth registration for a -
Diana M Davies, Sept Qtr 1939, Mere, 5a 355 - a possible sibling for the Marilyn R Davies at Mere, previously posted.

There is an entry on the 1939 register for a Ronald W R Davies (born 29 Sep 1914), Police Constable and Margaret G Davies* (born 24 Apr 1915) at No 16, Poston Croft Cul de Sac, off Broad Lane, Birmingham.

Ronald , therefore, not a candidate as father to Diana, 1939?

Margaret's record is endorsed in green "1/2/ Med(?) LA 4 10 60  JACOBS"

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 12:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the further posts, very interesting and indicates that Mandy's birth is a complex affair, and might prove difficult to unravel definitively if even her own parents were not forthcoming.

I think the 1939 register is Ronald as name, profession and DOB match the police employment record for him on line.

Whether Margaret G Davies is his first or second wife in unclear (unless someone has the marriage details). She does not look to be the mother of Mandy, As previously suggested I think there may be a divorce as or a much later marriage for Margaret as JACOBS is written above her surname in the 1939 register, which usually indicates subsequent surname.

Does the Biography state who Mandy regarded as her Mother? Was it Eluned? If so, Mandy may have been conceived out of wedlock and much later Ronald went on to marry her?

Are there searchable divorce records on line that could be searched for, for a divorce?

What dies the Stone family tree say in terms of who Ronald married and when and similarly for his wife's?

Thank you

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 12:58 BST (UK) »
I did spot the marriage of a Margaret G Davies, Jun Qtr 1955, Marylebone, 5d  683 - spouse John O Jacobson

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 13:08 BST (UK) »
Marriage Registration
Ronald W R Davies, Sep Qtr 1939, Hawarden (Flintshire), 11b 642A - spouse Margaret G Davies.

The police record mentions "Flintshire".

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 13:36 BST (UK) »
freebmd

marriage
1926 Q Dec
Eluned Jones and William J Lewis     Pontypridd 11a 977

then in 1928 there are 2 possible births for a Margaret Lewis mmn Jones in Pontypridd

Having just looked for a possible Eluned Jones b1908 (as in a previous reply) in the 1911 census, I wonder if the background story for the mother (in the bio) might be a little 'creative', most of the fathers are miners, and I didn't see an entry where Eluned was the youngest either.  So there is probably another 'story' there.
Maybe the marriage above might help identify Eluned.

there is a 1948 entry in Solihull on freebmd which looks like the birth of the brother

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 13:48 BST (UK) »
In a widely reported incident in Sep 1963, involving Marilyn appearing outside her old school (Sharmans Cross, Shirley), the papers referred to
"Miss Davies was not at her home in Blenheim Road, Shirley, last night. Her father said he knew nothing of the incident."

A June 1963 report refers to her being " ... roused from her bed at her parents home at Shirley ..."

Sight of the electoral roll might deliver Ronald's partner/wife at that time?