Author Topic: Gwenllian or Martha Phillips. Please could someone remove cracks in photo.Thanks  (Read 428 times)

Offline Special Needs Girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi,

Having had this photograph since 2004 it wasn’t until this week that we have had an inkling to who this lady could be.

My husband’s paternal grandfather had two sisters who sadly died at a young age and it is believed that this young lady is one of his sisters. They were born in 1898 and 1900 and both sadly died in their early 30s.

Would it be possible for someone to try to get rid of the creases in the photograph please.

Many thanks.

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gwenllian or Martha Phillips
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 21:15 BST (UK) »

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Thank you Japeflakes that’s great.

We think the young lady died from TB. Her father died a couple of years later from TB.
They were all living in the same house.

Thanks again.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gwenllian or Martha Phillips. Please could someone remove cracks in photo.Thanks
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 00:53 BST (UK) »
What a sad story. Here's one from me
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Gwenllian or Martha Phillips. Please could someone remove cracks in photo.Thanks
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 03:32 BST (UK) »
A couple of versions from me. :)
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 07:33 BST (UK) »

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 08:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Pat, Peter and Jakeflakes.  My husband is astounded how clever you all are.

I just wish we knew whether it is Martha or Gwenllian but I guess we’ll never know. I am sure they would have looked similar.

To see her in colour brings people of the 1920s and 1930s into our colour world. Their life must have been so drab as well as hard and they certainly didn’t have the opportunities that we have had.

Sadly neither Martha or Gwenllian was ever spoken about in my husband’s house when growing up he said. If it wasn’t for tracing his family and trying to give names to people in photos their lives would have been totally forgotten.

Thank you so much for bringing her “back to life”.

Pam