Author Topic: Grendon/Over Whitacre Burial Records  (Read 935 times)

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grendon/Over Whitacre Burial Records
« on: Tuesday 27 July 21 21:55 BST (UK) »
Looking for direct relatives in particular, I already have Grendon Parish Registers that date from 1567-1900. I have a few ancestors that were buried after that, likely at All Saints church in Grendon.

These are:
  • Edmund Jones (1853-1927)
  • Elizabeth Jones (1853-1937)
  • Edward Chetwynd (1840-1924)
  • Harriet Chetwynd (1842-1919)
I can confirm that both Edmund's parents and Edward's parents are buried in Grendon. These burials are almost a certainty but I have no evidence.

As for Over Whitacre, there is a small church there called St Leonards. I have monumental inscriptions for Over Whitacre but the individuals I'm looking for are not on there.

These are:
  • Albert Victor Burton (1901-1946)
  • Sophia Frances Moore (1867-1940)
  • William Moore (1871-1966)

There is a wall plaque in St Leonards that lists the name "Victor Burton", the same Albert Victor Burton we're after. There is also an article in the Coventry Standard dated Saturday 16 March 1940 listing the death of Sophia Frances Moore. The rector at the funeral was Rev E Burston and the lesson was read by the churchwarden George Hammersley (so it may be possible to confirm burial location based on these two people).

Offline Abt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Grendon/Over Whitacre Burial Records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 August 21 15:23 BST (UK) »
Sophias death was registered in Meriden Warwickshire

In 1939 census  she is living at School cottage , Meriden with her husband William and Albert V Burton

At the rectory in Meriden in the same census, Edmund Burston, clerk in Holy Orders.

Albert V burton died 1946 death registered Meriden.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 August 21 17:30 BST (UK) »
Only a thought - BUT have you considered that these people may very well have been cremated rather than buried?
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Abt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 August 21 18:35 BST (UK) »
St. Laurence in Meriden has a large burial ground.

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 August 21 23:54 BST (UK) »
Only a thought - BUT have you considered that these people may very well have been cremated rather than buried?

This is an interesting suggestion and not one I'd thought too much about - I'm thinking in particular of those potentially buried at Over Whitacre. Albert Victor Burton's wife Eliza Sophia Moore died in 1993 (so almost 50 years after her husband) but she was cremated at Sutton Coldfield. Her record can be found at https://birminghamburialrecords.co.uk/. I didn't think cremation was that popular at the time? I have only found one family member so far that was cremated. The crematorium at Sutton Coldfield didn't open until 1964.. so I wonder where the nearest one was before that? If there was one. I can't rule it out though.

The Warwickshire County Record office have burials at Over Whitacre until 1953 which would cover Sophia F Moore and Albert V Burton but not William Moore. Grendon they only appear to have burial records until 1899.. so I have no idea how to confirm these. Loads of burials have taken place there since 1899, so they must be recorded somewhere.

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 August 21 23:55 BST (UK) »

This is an interesting suggestion and not one I'd thought too much about - I'm thinking in particular of those potentially buried at Over Whitacre. Albert Victor Burton's wife Eliza Sophia Moore died in 1993 (so almost 50 years after her husband) but she was cremated at Sutton Coldfield. Her record can be found at https://birminghamburialrecords.co.uk/. I didn't think cremation was that popular at the time? I have only found one family member so far that was cremated. The crematorium at Sutton Coldfield didn't open until 1964.. so I wonder where the nearest one was before that? If there was one. I can't rule it out though.

The Warwickshire County Record office have burials at Over Whitacre until 1953 which would cover Sophia F Moore and Albert V Burton but not William Moore. Grendon they only appear to have burial records until 1899.. so I have no idea how to confirm these. Loads of burials have taken place there since 1899, so they must be recorded somewhere.

Offline Abt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 August 21 08:24 BST (UK) »
I may have mislead you in saying the School cottage and  the rectory were in Meriden, although that is the area on 1939 census but on Alberts Will School cottage is in Over Whitacre in the district of Meriden

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 August 21 16:18 BST (UK) »
I may have mislead you in saying the School cottage and  the rectory were in Meriden, although that is the area on 1939 census but on Alberts Will School cottage is in Over Whitacre in the district of Meriden

Hi Abt

Yes all of the individuals I've listed for Over Whitacre lived at School Cottage in Over Whitacre for a number of years. For example in the news article of Sophia's passing it mentions that she had been a resident there for 18 years.

Albert Victor Burton married Eliza Sophia Moore whose parents were William and Sophia Moore. :)

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 September 21 22:48 BST (UK) »
Small update

Edmund Burston was Rector at St Leonard's Over Whitacre from 1924 to 1944:
https://www.ourparishwls.com/our-churches/st-leonard-s/

As he is mentioned as the Rector and conducted the funeral service in the Coventry Standard article, I'm happy that Sophia Frances Moore was buried at Over Whitacre.