Author Topic: Mary Hartley  (Read 889 times)

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Hartley
« on: Wednesday 28 July 21 12:59 BST (UK) »
All I know about Mary Hartley is she married John Wooll 1770-1835 in Upwell, Norfolk on 31st August 1790.  Their son was my ancestor John Hartley Wooll 1793-1830.  They may have had other children, possibly Jacob Wooll 1801-1801 and Elizabeth born 1798, I am not sure.

On a search for baptisms for Mary on familysearch.org, using the years 1768 to 1775 there were none in Norfolk, but many in Yorkshire, and the one that stood out the most was Mary Hartley born 1769 in Haworth, Yorkshire, father:  Joseph Hartley.

I have a lot of DNA matches who share an ancestor with the surname Hartley, from Yorkshire, around the Keighley and Bradford areas.  I am wondering if my ancestor Mary Hartley who married and lived in Upwell, Norfolk, was born in Yorkshire and connected with the Yorkshire Hartley ancestors of these DNA matches.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Hartley
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 13:23 BST (UK) »
The surname Hartley is certainly very common in that part of the West Riding - and even more so just over the boundary into Lancashire, around Colne. If you have DNA matches in that area (so long as they are close enough, and can't be explained in any other way), then it does look likely that your Mary, or one of her ancestors, has roots there.

Don't rush too quickly to identify Mary's baptism and parents - there will be quite a few possibilities to work through. There were also significant numbers of nonconformists, so be prepared to look beyond the Church of England registers.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 14:29 BST (UK) »
Are you sure about his birth, there was a burial at Upwell 20 December 1793 for a John Hartley Wooll son of John & Mary

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 14:33 BST (UK) »
Are you sure about his birth, there was a burial at Upwell 20 December 1793 for a John Hartley Wooll son of John & Mary

I think the records could be confused.  On familysearch.org there are two baptism dates two months apart given for their (possible) daughter Elizabeth, with a burial just before them.

I wondered if it was a case of a new baby being named after a baby who died.  Especially as I couldn't find any more siblings, and Jacob died soon after birth.

I have the marriage record for John Hartley Wooll, and other records.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 14:50 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the images on FS against the baptism transcripts for Elizabeth,  the links for the September & November baptisms take you to the same page and there is no entry for November.

ADDED There is a baptism for a John Hartley Wall on 1st December 1795

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 17:01 BST (UK) »
Moving this to the "West Riding" Yorkshire area may be quite productive?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 21:23 BST (UK) »
There is a Mary dau of John and Mary Hardley baptised in Upwell 13 Nov 1774

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01qss/

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 22:00 BST (UK) »
There is a Mary dau of John and Mary Hardley baptised in Upwell 13 Nov 1774

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01qss/

Do you mean Hardley or Hartley?

Could it be a mistranscription?

The Name Hartley got passed down in this family for many generations, as Hartley Wooll.

Also it would make her only 16 at the time of her marriage.

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 22:03 BST (UK) »
Moving this to the "West Riding" Yorkshire area may be quite productive?

I will have to work out what information to give to get the right information back.  It will take a bit of thought first.