Author Topic: Portaferry Marriage - Wife is from parish of Wetter?  (Read 466 times)

Offline DaveMcC

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Portaferry Marriage - Wife is from parish of Wetter?
« on: Wednesday 28 July 21 20:04 BST (UK) »
I recently found a marriage record for my x3 great grandparents, Andrew Lowry and Elizabeth Shanks. Andrew Lowry was from the townland of Ballycastle (area beside Mount Stewart) in Greyabbey. They got married in Portaferry on 11th October 1849 and I have attached the marriage record. The writing is a bit worn but It says Andrew Lowry was a Bachelor, Age 30 farmer from the townland of Ballycastle, Parish of Greyabbey and his father was James Lowry a farmer.

From what I can make out from Elizabeth Shanks it says she was a Spinster and 19 and I can't make out the townland name, but it says Townland of  (Something) and the Parish of Wetter and that her father was James Shanks a farmer.

I searched for the record on the Ulster Historical Foundation website and as it gives the text of the record, info said Parish of Wetter but didn't give me the townland name so that didn't fully help

If the Parish of Wetter is the correct, does anyone know where that is and can anyone make out the townland name? Every time I try to find out where a parish of Wetter is, I just get results for weather or wet places  :P but as you might be able to guess, that is no help. Can anyone help?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
Re: Portaferry Marriage - Wife is from parish of Wetter?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 22:00 BST (UK) »
Looks like the townland might be Tieveshilla/Tieveshilly.
http://www.placenamesni.org/resultdetails.php?entry=12614
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 22:30 BST (UK) »
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline DaveMcC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile

Offline DaveMcC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 22:36 BST (UK) »
Looks like the townland might be Tieveshilla/Tieveshilly.
http://www.placenamesni.org/resultdetails.php?entry=12614

That looks about right, thanks.