Author Topic: Thomas Durance - Tanfield Village  (Read 631 times)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Durance - Tanfield Village
« on: Wednesday 28 July 21 23:39 BST (UK) »
Can anyone please help with ANY information relating to Thomas Durance who is known to have been living in Tanfield Village in 1795-1796.  I have no information on him except that he was involved in a meeting held in January 1796 to discuss what was then a huge reward of £50 for information leading to the prosecution of whoever was responsible for sabotage at the Brook Pit (nearly severing the hemp cage ropes on the pit shaft) endangering the lives of anyone going down the pit.  This was matched by another £50 from the owner of the pit.  I imagine that this means he was a person of some standing in the village rather than just a miner or agricultural worker.  Many thanks.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Durance - Tanfield Village
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 July 21 00:53 BST (UK) »
A possibility is that he could be the Thomas DEWRANCE of Clough Dene, Tanfield who married Mary Turnbull on 20 Jun 1789. 

According to the free index on Durham Records Online there should be a marriage bond, but I can't see any for 1789 on Familysearch, only the extract dated 6 June saying he was 21 and a pitman.  Mary was a widow (age not given).

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01qsu/

From his YoB of c1768 he may therefore be the Thomas Durance baptised at Lanchester on 25 Jan 1767, s/o Valentine Davison & Mary Durance, Fatfield House.

A possible burial - although the age is out - is 23 Jan (or 23 Feb) 1821 at Lanchester - Thomas Durance aged 60.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 July 21 10:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jomot,

Some very promising leads there!

Neville

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 July 21 11:02 BST (UK) »
Newcastle Courant 9 Jan 1796 has an item about the matter.
In summary -
In the night of 1st Jan , the Pit Rope, belonging to the Brook Pit, situate on Tanfield Moor (belonging to William Motton PITT, Esq) was nearly cut asunder.
Tanfield Association for the Prosecution of Felons and the said William Morton PITT both offered £50 reward to anyone who could provide information leading to the conviction of the offender.
A meeting of the members of the said association is desired at the house of Mr Thomas DORANCE, Publican, in Tanfield, on Thursday the 14th instant, at One oClock P.M. to take into consideration the above, and other Business relating to the said Association.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 July 21 12:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you Spelk.

That is absolutely perfect!  The organisation you have mentioned in the article held its meetings in The Peacock at Tanfield - so you have also given me the name of his public house.  That is a great help in finding out more about the incident.  Hopefully there will be some greater detail to be found to expand the story and to discover whether the culprit was caught.  Thanks again

Neville

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 July 21 13:47 BST (UK) »
Seems like it was not a one off event. I have not looked after the 1700s. I suspect that if the culprit was identified he may not have lived long enough to get to court.

Newcastle Courant 18 June 1791 (and same text in issue of 11th June)
June 6th, 1791
Late last night or early this morning, the Pit Rope, (at the sixth Pit on Beamish South Moor Colliery) consisting of three strands, had two of then cut though, and the third entered into, and the damaged part of the rope concealed, and covered over with rope yarn: in this hazardous situation the workmen were all conveyed down, (providentially safe) before it was discovered. - As this malicious deed must have been intended for the destruction of the Overmen, or some of the Workmen, belonging to Sir John Eden, he offers a reward of TWENTY GUINEAS on conviction of the offender or offenders; or if any accomplice will inform of the person who actually cut the said rope, he shall be entitled to the above reward, and proper means used to obtain his Majesty’s pardon; or any person giving secret information, that may be the means of a discovery, shall have a reward of TEN GUINEAS, by applying to Mr William Taylor, at Beamish.
And the Coal Owners of the river Wear ~ added another TWENTY GUINEAS ~ by applying to Mr John Martindale, Secretary to the Coal Trade, on the river Wear.

Newcastle Courant 8 Dec 1753
Tuesday Se’ennight some wicked person cut the Pit-rope at the Chain-knot to a single Plat, at Chirns Pits, belonging to Mr Storer, and one Dixon a Pitter, the first that got on to ride, down it broke, and he fell from the very Top, 17 Fathoms deep, was dash’d and bruised in such a miserable condition, that he expired in a few Minutes.
[I think it is possible that in this case the rope was old and worn and the pit owners said it had been cut to avoid blame; not that they would have had to pay compensation anyway]

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 July 21 14:47 BST (UK) »
This is incredible.  I had not realised that this sort of thing was happening in the area.  It is the first time that I have ever heard about this kind of deliberate sabotage and the willingness to kill innocent people in your own community.

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 July 21 15:11 BST (UK) »
Yes it is odd. I can see lots of people might have wanted to get at the mine owners but this seems more like wanting to kill the miners.