Author Topic: Can anyone read this place?  (Read 1927 times)

Offline verezzi

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone read this place?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 30 July 21 12:55 BST (UK) »
It's Whickham in Durham!!!

I decided to write down all the Northumberland and Durham baptisms for a Thomas Wilkinson born 1805 in Northumberland in Durham 5 years each way and then started eliminating them based on noted burials, marriages while my Thomas was in Australia or who had children on census while he was in Australia.

So I get to this Whickham one and he is lodging with a William and Elizabeth Pitt in 1861, I reasoned Elizabeth might be a Wilkinson and a possible sister for a line of enquiry. She was one better, she is Thomas' dead wife's sister! I noticed this William Pitt had married Elizabeth Mutter born 1813 in North Shields, Thomas' wife was called Alice Mouter and she had a sister called Elizabeth born 1814 in North Shields. I find it very unlikely a random Thomas Wilkinson of the correct age would be lodging with his wife's sister and this Whickham one does not appear on census in 1851 when Thomas was in Australia, I've got him.

Over ten years it has taken me to find out Thomas' story, can I say a massive thank you to everyone who has helped me,

Dan

Durham: Hall, Wilkinson, Taggart, Woodcock, Watson, Gray, Wood, Cummings, Wheldon, Robinson, Cowley, Perkins, Burnside, Corby
Yorkshire: Petty, Blenkiron, Stabler, Garforth.
Northumberland: Wood, Hall, Wilkinson.
Lincolnshire: Bavin, Cook, Graves/Greaves, Catten
Gloucestershire: Smith, Jones, Wheeler
Ireland: Taggart, Workman.
Warwickshire: Commander, Betts.
Staffordshire/Worcestershire: Perkins, Commander, Plant, Nock, Guest, Hackett

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 30 July 21 13:03 BST (UK) »
Very impressive Dan. Congratulations on finding out what became of him.

I have been reading the thread with interest and do like it when things go well.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 30 July 21 13:32 BST (UK) »
Excellent work Dan ;D

I see 1871 he is born c 1806 Whickham Northumberland
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline verezzi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 30 July 21 14:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you yes, he seems to have died in Dunston 1779 too.

There are two Thomas Wilkinsons baptised in Whickham but I can rule out the first one as his baptism states born Lamesley and this Thomas is demonstrably separate from mine on census.

So mine is Thomas Wilkinson born 25th Nov 1806 in Whickham illegitimate son of Ann Wilkinson baptised 23rd January 1807.  All the records have those extra details they did for a while such as 'native of parish of' except mine, also the baptisms below and above are illegitimate and both name the father, mine doesn't, figures!

This makes sense though, he called his first daughter Ann. Now I need to find where she came from, it's just my luck to not have a father for him!

Thanks again, all the best,

Dan

Durham: Hall, Wilkinson, Taggart, Woodcock, Watson, Gray, Wood, Cummings, Wheldon, Robinson, Cowley, Perkins, Burnside, Corby
Yorkshire: Petty, Blenkiron, Stabler, Garforth.
Northumberland: Wood, Hall, Wilkinson.
Lincolnshire: Bavin, Cook, Graves/Greaves, Catten
Gloucestershire: Smith, Jones, Wheeler
Ireland: Taggart, Workman.
Warwickshire: Commander, Betts.
Staffordshire/Worcestershire: Perkins, Commander, Plant, Nock, Guest, Hackett

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 30 July 21 15:27 BST (UK) »
Well done - that's great news  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***