Author Topic: 1911 Census- looking for Graham Matthew Cowles born 1890 Balham COMPLETED  (Read 2098 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 Census- looking for Graham Matthew Cowles born 1890 Balham/Wandsworth
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 29 July 21 20:14 BST (UK) »
Edwards first wife Ida Helen Cowles nee' Thompson re married 1899 as a "widow". Image on Ancestry.

John

Another version of his middle name ?  -    Edward Harrey Cowles - Edward Hervey Cowles -   
Marriage Date 12 Feb 1883 St Pancras Old St Pancras, Camden.
Father Edward Cowles - Spouse Ida Helen Thompson.

Edward jnr - was referred to as Edward Harvey Cowles on his fathers UK naturalization.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 29 July 21 20:27 BST (UK) »
Looks as though Edward and Ida had a daughter

COWLES, BEATRICE  MAY     mother's maiden name THOMPSON 
GRO Reference: 1883  J Quarter in HAMPSTEAD  Volume 01A  Page 673

John

added, may have died with same name in New Zealand.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 29 July 21 20:52 BST (UK) »
My goodness Sandra- this story just twists and turns!!!!!

Thank you- yes I have now got the divorce document which again is revealing in respect of the address given in Old Christchurch Road, Bournemouth- I know it well!

I have just now read about the sad story of Graham's short marriage to irene Sanguine!

I think we need to rule a line under all of this now.

There is only one question left for me to solve!

I wonder what happened to poor John Evans (father Edward Evans deceased in 1915) who married Grace Ethel Rainer on 1st April 1915 in Bournemouth- before she ran away with Graham Cowles just a month later to Montreal!  The irony of the marriage on 1st April is painful!

Massive thank you!

Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 29 July 21 21:02 BST (UK) »
Anc tree source - Seems there was a son John Cowles Evans - 17 February 1916 - 7 June 2001 Brighton Sussex.

Married January 1948 Westminster Middlesex - Glennis Dorothy Browne -1913 - 1968

John Herbert Evans - 7 March 1890 Portsmouth - 23 December 1976 - Gosport Hampshire.

Sandra

Added :- Evans    John C-  Rainer    - Christchurch   -  2b   1273

also shows John Evans married to Alma Winsor in 1915 ??  Birth of 2 daughters 1917/1918

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 Census- looking for Graham Matthew Cowles born 1890 Balham COMPLETED
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 29 July 21 21:15 BST (UK) »
If that is the correct birth date for the son - he was assistant theatre manager for Empire Theatre in Southampton by the age of 23 years.

Sandra

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 29 July 21 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra- John Cowles Evans born 1916 is the son of John Evans and Grace Rainer who married on 1st April 1915- and yes he was at the Theatre in Southampton in 1934.
There was a lot of scandal around the birth of John Cowles Evans- Grace Evans (nee Rainer) actually married Graham Cowles years later in 1934 but I am left wondering what happened to poor John Evans who married Grace in 1915 and was treated quite badly by her deceptions.
All I know about John Evans is from the 1915 marriage certificate- he was 24 and his father was Edward Evans (deceased). John Evanss was living at the same address as Grace and her parents and several siblings when they married in 1915 so he may well have just been the lodger!
When Grace later married Graham Cowles in 1934- in High wycombe- she gave her address as Winton, Bournemouth- and declared herself a spinster- but had she been widowed by then or did she just leave her first husband John Evans? At the moment I feel this last question of tracking John Evans after the birth of John Cowles vans in 1916 almost impossible as I cannot think of any way to find out any definitive information. when John and Grace married in 1915, the 2 witnesses were Grace's parents so John was clearly away from close family. His job is shown as a motor engineer- a very similar employment to Graham Cowles who Grace later married!
Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 30 July 21 07:54 BST (UK) »
Hi sandra- one last thought about this very strange saga! I wonder now what happened to John Evans who married Grace Rainer in 1915- and then there followed Grace's misdemeanours with Graham Cowles. I wonder if John Evans separated from Grace afterwards and if there would be any official documents to that effect- as you found for Graham and his first wife Margaret. Grace declared herself as a spinster when she married Graham Cowles years later in 1934- what do you think?
Caroline

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 30 July 21 11:07 BST (UK) »

All I know about John Evans is from the 1915 marriage certificate-

he was 24 and his father was Edward Evans (deceased).

John Evanss was living at the same address as Grace and her parents and several siblings when they married in 1915 so he may well have just been the lodger!

When Grace later married Graham Cowles in 1934- in High wycombe- she gave her address as Winton, Bournemouth- and declared herself a spinster- but had she been widowed by then or did she just leave her first husband John Evans?

At the moment I feel this last question of tracking John Evans after the birth of John Cowles vans in 1916 almost impossible as I cannot think of any way to find out any definitive information.

when John and Grace married in 1915, the 2 witnesses were Grace's parents so John was clearly away from close family. His job is shown as a motor engineer- a very similar employment to Graham Cowles who Grace later married!

I wonder now what happened to John Evans who married Grace Rainer in 1915

By any chance was there an occupation listed for John's father Edward on m/c?

Have you checked the 1911 census or 1939 register to see if there are any persons named John Evans born c1891 occ motor engineer?

I have found these two records for a John Evan's born c1892 father named Edward........but neither have occ motor engineer  ???

John Evans Age: 3
Birth 7 Sep 1893
Admission Date:   12 Jul 1897
School:   Mina Road School
Father:   Edward Evans, address 3 Domville Grove
This family are together at that address 1901/1911 John porter

1901 Piece: 520 Folio:   42 Page Number:   10
3 Domville Grove
Edward Evans   46
Emma Evans   45
Edward Evans   15
Ernest Evans   13
Percy Evans   11
May Evans   9
John Evans   4 Surrey (1911c still with parents occ porter)

John EVANS mmn UNDERWOOD
GRO Reference: 1893  D Quarter in ST SAVIOUR LONDON  Volume 01D  Page 27   

Edward Evans married Emma Elizabeth Julia UNDERWOOD 22 Fe 1885 All Saints Walworth Southwark,
it looks as if Edward died 13 Nov 1931 Burial Cremation Southwark
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/218418694/edward-evans

John Evans age 28, batchelor,  labourer, 3 Domville Grove married 14 May 1922 at St Mark, Camberwell, Southwark father Edward Evans, occ painter & decorator
Spouse:   Edith Violet Thompson

John Evans Age:   6
Birth Date:   Feb 1892
Admission Date:   1 Jul 1898
School:   Maidstone Street School
Father:   Edward Evans, address 19 Warburton Sq.

GRO indexes have a lot of births for a John Evans born Mar qtr., here are two that were registered in London area and details for John mmn Baker

EVANS, JOHN   mmn BAKER
GRO Reference: 1892  M Quarter in SHOREDITCH  Volume 01C  Page 90

EVANS, JOHN   mmn ALLEN
GRO Reference: 1892  M Quarter in ST SAVIOUR LONDON  Volume 01D  Page 7   

Edward Evans, minor, occ  scale maker married 24 Dec 1882 at St John, Hoxton, Hackney Father:    Edward Evans, coach maker
Spouse:    Ellen BAKER

1901 Piece:   224 Folio:   86 Page Number:   23
19 Warburton Sq.
Edward Evans   38
Ellen Evans   38
Edward Evans   19
James Evans   10
John Evans   8 Shoreditch (1911c with family same address occ scale maker)
Rose Evans   6
George Evans   4
Arthur Evans   2

John Evans age 22, scale maker married on 25 Dec 1914 at St John, Hoxton, Hackney
Father:   Edward Evans, scale maker
Spouse:   Annie Alice Rosina Bigwood
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk