Author Topic: Sheffield Domestic Servants  (Read 617 times)

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sheffield Domestic Servants
« on: Thursday 29 July 21 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, I cannot find a post anywhere so I do not think I have asked this question before.

I am aware that before WWII my grandma, who is now deseased, left Eckington for the bright lights of Sheffield. I thought I had found a 1939 survey with her name on but I cannot find it in my files and have recently ended me subscription to the site I would have gotten it from due to my current funds. I am just looking for the address she lived at if possible.

My grandma was Ruth Davies (later Jones) and her date of birth was 27th October 1923. I know that one of her sisters joined her at some stage working with the same family but I think it was some time after the survey.

Many thanks, Luke

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sheffield Domestic Servants
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 July 21 14:38 BST (UK) »
Did she have a middle name?

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 July 21 14:46 BST (UK) »
No she was just Ruth Davies and was born in Eckington

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 July 21 19:30 BST (UK) »
She's not showing up on the Register
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 July 21 22:22 BST (UK) »
Just a possible reason not to be on the 1939 register ?

The most common reason certain people (mostly men) are crossed out in the 1939 register is called up to national service but some women may have been called up or in the services already.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 July 21 22:46 BST (UK) »
The National Archives website has a whole page on the 1939 register and give several reasons why people cannot be found, e.g. they were born less than 100 years ago.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/1939-register/
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke