Author Topic: Patrick Doyle died 1853?  (Read 2270 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Doyle died 1853?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 31 July 21 12:47 BST (UK) »
Anyone with a subscription to Findmypast can view the Register of Wages & Effects for Patrick Doyle

And anyone with access to ancestry. It doesn't really help with identification.

Plenty about the Royal Charter in the Liverpool papers, there are announcements of some of the dead in notices placed around the country.
Sinking of the Royal Charter
https://www.anglesey-history.co.uk/places/royal-charter/index.html

Kloumann mentioned earlier that son James Patrick was born in 1859. So from his conception to the date of the 1861 census looks to be your window for Patrick's death I would suggest.

Added: James Patrick was born on 23 Nov 1859 and baptised at St Patrick's on the 27th of that month. Parents Patrick Doyle and Bridget Fox.

Getting the birth certificate/pdf might possibly help?

Offline stewpot72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 31 July 21 16:08 BST (UK) »
On FindMyPast, where can I view the Register of Wages & Effect you refer to?

Offline stewpot72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 01 August 21 09:57 BST (UK) »
I think I have found the Register of Wages and Effects - its a catalogue of various crew members who have died at sea?
Patrick Doyle was Engaged on either 16/5/59 or 16/8/59 - the month number is hard to read.
It also says he was paid £12.9s.6d on 3rd November 1859, in Liverpool. Does anyone know how this works - was the money paid to his family in Liverpool as he would have been at sea in November? And was the money his earnings from the whole voyage? And were crew engaged from the start of the journey in Liverpool or from embarkation coming back from Australia?

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 01 August 21 11:23 BST (UK) »
"From 1851 onwards Masters of UK ships were required to surrender to the Board of
Trade the wages and effects of any seaman who died during a voyage. These records
included the following information concerning the seaman: name, date and place of
joining the ship, date and cause of death, name, official number (after 1854) and port of
ship: name of master, date and place of payment of wages, the amount of wages and
date of receipt by Board of Trade."

As we can see, the final column is Date when sent to Board of Trade (11/11/59)

Date of engagement of Patrick Doyle was 16/5/59
PD wasn't at sea in November, as he drowned 26 October 1859.

Maybe there's a clue as to his ranking on the Royal Charter from the amount of wages?  :-\
What would the man in question likely be doing if it was him? Carpenter? :-\ Or was he short of work and just signed on as an ordinary seaman?

If Patrick Doyle had been living in Liverpool for a good number of years would it be likely that there would be some mention of him in the newspapers there? :-\

I am also puzzled by some of the names of the crew who died, various names come up online, but I can't see them at all in the register!

Sorry for the waffle, we need an expert on the merchant navy

Offline stewpot72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 09:40 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for putting me straight on the dates. PD was a Ship Smith according to the 1851 census and, as the ship was part sail, part steam, this occupation seems a likely fit to me.
I'll dig into the newspaper records and see if that throws any light on who exactly this Patrick Doyle was.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Royal charter left Melbourne on 26th August 1859, Patric Doyle who signed up 16th May 1859 in Liverpool so started and sadly ended his voyage in England. His effects, wages, being £12 9s 6d.

The register of effects per Ancestry, show a number of pages of the crew commencing at image 182.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/60998/images/engltna1d_bt153-box0003-001_0182?backlabel=ReturnSearchResults&queryId=41ba5b9a500e40a844f02d8a86310370&pId=89085

Spendlove.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 14:39 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the Register of Deaths at Sea 1859. It used to be on FindMyPast as I do not have a
subscription I cannot look.
If there is nothing there take a look at the relevent copy of the Logbook and Crew Agreement ROYAL CHARTER Official number 1355
These documents should  help confirm wether or not your Patrick Doyle was on board.
You would be best advised to visit TNA Kew yourself. If indeed he was on board,the Crew agreement should tell you which ship he served on before ROYAL CHARTER, his rank, his last address and possibly his NoK. There may be reference to him in the Logbook. Whilst at Kew you can follow up these leads. Search with O/N
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4069941
If you cannot get to Kew ask for a quote to copy the relevent pages  16/May/1859 to 26/10/59 Otherwise they will quote you for the total year

Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Ancestry have “uk register of birth, marriages, deaths at sea 1844-90”, however these are for passengers. 

The list of deaths for passengers for Royal Charter, commence on image 150

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/60998/images/44995_bt_158_02_0150?backlabel=ReturnSearchResults&queryId=41ba5b9a500e40a844f02d8a86310370&pId=358483

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline stewpot72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 18 August 21 15:30 BST (UK) »
I'm still pursuing information and have contacted National Archives to see what they have. Just waiting to hear what they will charge me for a search.
Out of curiosity, apart from the information submitted to the Board of Trade regarding his death, would there be any other official death registration? I have looked in the GRO records but nothing is coming up. Where would the death be registered - North Wales where he died, or Liverpool where he had lived?