Author Topic: Collyns Simon  (Read 1130 times)

Offline rittrock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Collyns Simon
« on: Friday 30 July 21 12:28 BST (UK) »
"Descended from a Huguenot family", "born at Cork", says a short obituary for Thomas Collyns Simon (c. 1811-1883), the Agnew family tutor whose daughter Maria (later Countess Balzani) is widely commemorated around Larne. Apologies if this is old hat - but I and the North of Ireland Family History Society would be grateful for information about his background. He wrote well known articles and books about astronomy and optics, speculative philosophy, and Church history; unfortunately his optical science was cranky. The middle name was sometimes Collins and mostly (latterly) COLLYNS; indeed he would sign "Collyns Simon" without the Thomas. I see online that Alicia St Leger's "Huguenots in Cork" lists COLLINE and COLUON names, so that might be a hint. Can anyone help?
best wishes

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rittrock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Collyns Simon
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 July 21 16:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks
I've already written to both St Sepulchre's and the Kilwaughter historians, and (as usual) hope to bring the different sides together. TCS's cranky scientific works are (or were) well known. His contributions on Berkeley and Hegel might be crank (search me) but at least he realised that they were saying something important. His Church history (St Peter's mission) was and is controversial - I'm not going there! But I (and Kilwaughter / NIFHS folk) would like to know more about him.
best wishes

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 July 21 09:34 BST (UK) »
Wonder if there would be anything about his admission to Oxford in their records? Although the details in the obituary may not be accurate, especially in view of this snippet-
Reading Mercury, 29 Sept.1883: SIMON. —On the 24th inst., 10, Norham-gardens, Oxford, Thomas Collyns Simon, Hon. LL.D. Edin.
So, perhaps Edinburgh would be the place to check.

Globe [London], 21 May 1857: SIMON.—At Ballysax, Camp. Ireland, Maria, wife Thomas Collins Simon, Esq., and daughter the late Edward Jones Agnew, Esq., of Kilwaughter Castle, Larne.
Home News for India, China and the Colonies, 26 May 1857: SIMON-May 8, at the Rectory, Ballysax, Curragh Camp, Ireland, Maria, the wife of Thomas Collins Simon, Esq.

Brighton Gazette, 21 July 1859: ... a monument just finished, which has the following inscription : “Sacred to the memory of Maria, the beloved wife of Thomas Collins Simon, Esq..” ... of scarlet fever taken in her devoted attendance on her child. It was the ninth day of May, ...

Offline rittrock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 August 21 10:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks again
I'd believe the Mind obit insofar as he didn't complete at Oxford and his Edinburgh LL.D. was honorary; I'm hoping Edinburgh archives will reply after some COVID delay.
St Sepulchre's have kindly replied and have updated their TCS info.
(I am having trouble with posting attachments so apologies for any duplication)
So...father Peter, brother William Frederick, large Cork family of Huguenot background...I hope somone with Cork interests can help.
best wishes

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 August 21 12:51 BST (UK) »
Limerick Chronicle, 13 May 1848: ... William Frederick Simon, Esq. _ of the late Peter Simon, Esq. of Cork.

? Carlisle Journal, 19 May 1848: Carlisle, May 17, 1848. ~~NOTICE TO CREDITORS. ALL PERSONS who have CLAIMS against the Estate of WILLIAM FREDERICK SIMON, late of STANWIX Cottage, near Carlisle, deceased, are requested to forward the same before the First day of June ...

Death- Apr./June 1848: SIMON William Frederick, Northampton district, vol. 15 page 222 (GRO index gives his age as 35 years)

Could this snippet be the father Peter Simon or is it another of same name?
Cork Constitution, 8 Oct.1833: ... stated in the entry. At this period of the examination, Mr. Reynolds referred to the entry of admission of a person named Peter Simon, who in 1807 was admitted to the Freedom [at?] Large under the Statute upon payment shillings, being [a?] Protestant stranger.

Offline rittrock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 August 21 16:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks
That looks good in Carlisle, as William Frederick is about the right age.
There are rather few people with surname (as opposed to first name) SIMON in the lists of Protestant escapees/immigrants in the late 17th century. I had supposed that TCS's father was not a first-generation Huguenot arrival, but perhaps (if he's the 1807 "Protestant stranger") he was the first generation in Cork!
More checking needed in the newspapers...Stanwix Cottage appears on Airbnb associated with a very old coaching inn that may or may not have been WFS's proper residence.
Edinburgh University are looking for info about the LL.D. award and I will post if they find anything.
best wishes

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 August 21 19:09 BST (UK) »
Is this Peter?
Newspaper snippets
Carlisle Patriot: 20th June 1845
In Bonon Crescent Peter Simon, Esq formerly of Cork

Cumberland Paquet 24th June 1845
At Burton Crescent Peter Simon Esq formerly of Cork in his 66th year

Burial record - London burials
17th June 1845
Peter Simon 66 yrs Burton Crescent, St Pancras

1841 1065/32/5
Rodney Buildings Lambeth
Peter Simon 50 yrs Merchant not born in county
Eliza Simon 50 yrs born Ireland

Of course the age differs in the census record.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 August 21 20:38 BST (UK) »
A few more bits on William Frederick Simon-

Canterbury Journal, 24 May 1873: ... Winckworth, second son of Colonel Winckworth Scott, Bombay Staff Corps, to Margaret Collins, only daughter of the late William Frederick Simon, Esq., of Stanwix Cottage, Carlisle.

Home News for India, China and the Colonies, 3 Jan,1896: SIMON—Dec. 28, at Standish, Sutton, at the residence of her son-in-law, Willie A. Winckworth Scott, Margaret, widow of William Frederick Simon. Esq., formerly of Stanwix, Carlisle.