Author Topic: Dating photo help etc  (Read 430 times)

Offline Coolbreeze

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dating photo help etc
« on: Friday 30 July 21 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi. I was wondering if someone could date this photo and possibly tell me the rank and regiment of the soldier. Many thanks in advance.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dating photo help etc
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 July 21 14:21 BST (UK) »
Can't make out the cap badge but he looks to be an officer in the Royal Flying Corps which would date it to 1914-18. He has an Observer brevet (so he's not a pilot) and 4 overseas service chevrons. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ian999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 July 21 14:34 BST (UK) »
I have to wonder why he needs spurs in an airplane!

Offline Coolbreeze

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 July 21 16:00 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Shaun and Ian

Offline Ian999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 July 21 18:49 BST (UK) »
Coolbreeze, what can you tell us about this pic? I am puzzled by a number of inconsistencies in it.

Firstly the pic looks quite modern -- say after 1960, but the chevrons were not used after WW1. Canadian troops had them until WW2 but were of a different design.

The portrait looks like a professional studio but using roll paper to make a smooth transition between floor and backdrop. That is a fairly modern technique. Also the facial features and pose  look more like a Hollywood actor than a Brit of WW1 vintage.
An observer brevet so he is an officer, but he has no officer markings. The spurs just do not go with an airman!

I have checked Canadian, US, and Aus uniforms and none of them seem to fit.
More info please.

Offline Coolbreeze

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 July 21 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian... I was asked about the photo by a lady who had it in her pocession and was trying to find out who it was. I have little Miltary knowledge. That said l thought by posting it on this forum it could narrow down the search by finding the rank and regiment. I suspected he may of been an officer. Although, l have little knowledge on uniform etc and was hoping someone maybe able to tell me more such as yourself. Thank you for your thoughts, it sounds rather puzzling. Unfortunately, l don't have anymore information of which l can give.

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 July 21 19:29 BST (UK) »
I agree that the background is not the traditional one that you usually see in such photographs. There are I believe two pips on his epaulettes and he seems to be wearing a bracelet on his right wrist or a feminine sort of wristwatch.

Offline SiGr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 August 21 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, yes, he is an officer. He does not have any medal ribbons which suggests the photo was taken before the later stages/end of WW1.
I know very little about the history of the Royal Flying Corps and the Canadian military but until the RAF was formally instituted personnel seemed to often wear the uniforms of their original units - especially if they were attached as pilots as opposed to joining the RFC/RAF direct. Which seems to be the case here. Certainly he is not wearing the badges on his cap and collar of the RFC. Presumably the spurs and cane were part of the uniform of his original regiment.
I wonder, is this picture part of a wider photo ? Is there a photographer's studio named on it or anything on the back ?
Equally, is this the best resolution ? If you were able to get better details on the cap and collar badges this would go some way to identify him.
Good luck with your search.
Simon
(1) Janions of Cheshire, Lancashire, Hawaii, Vancouver and Seattle.
(2) Gregorys of Tarporley, Cheshire.
(3) Pughs of 'The New Pale' near Frodsham and Delamere in Cheshire.
(4) Nevills of Llanelly, Llangennech and Felinfoel.
(5) Yaldens of Ovington/Lovington in Hampshire.