Author Topic: Robert Bonnet  (Read 564 times)

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
Robert Bonnet
« on: Friday 30 July 21 16:18 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for more information on Robert Bonnet.

He baptised a daughter Elizabeth in 1813 Outwell, Norfolk. With wife Sarah.

I think this is him in 1841, he is living in Outwell and stated to not have been born in Cambridgeshire although Outwell goes in between Norfolk and Cambs. He is a farmer. Aged 55 (1786 birth date). A Jemima Bonnet is living with him aged 5. I think this is a granddaughter, daughter of a William Bonnet but not sure as there are no other baptisms in Outwell. I assume Robert is living with wife Rebecca who he married in 1824 Outwell.

In 1851 he is still living in Outwell, Farmer and a Widower. Aged 65 (Birth date 1786) On this census he states he was born in Ely, Cambridgeshire.
I can see no baptism in Ely for a Robert Bonnet/Bonnett.

There is a possible marriage in Addlethorpe, Lincolnshire 1810 between a Robert Bonnet and Sarah Deforges/Defordges/D'Forges. I can see no relevant baptisms after apart from an Eliza.

Any help appreciated.
Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq
Thomas Hobson of Glen. Gent
John Grant of Stretton Parva. Gent
John Miles of Heanley Hall. Gent
Thomas Dabridgecourt. Esq
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Bonnet
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 July 21 17:07 BST (UK) »
What is your connection to Robert?   Only known child Elizabeth bap.11/3/1813 was buried there the following year - burial 2/8/1814.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Bonnet
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 July 21 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Yes I saw that burial but couldn't see a death for wife Sarah.
I'm trying to find out about Robert as it may shed light on my illusive ancestor John Bonnet.

John Bonnet married Catherine Vincent 1830 Terrington St Clement, Norfolk. Him and Catherine then baptised children in Ely, Cambridgeshire in the 1830s before moving to Emneth, Norfolk (Just outside of Outwell) in 1841. John states that he isn't born in Norfolk on the 1841 census. In the 1840s John and family moves back to Ely. Unfortunately before the 1851 census John is transported to Australia so I never find out where he states he is from. In 1841 his birthdate is given as ABT 1810.

I think John was baptised 1809 Chettisham (A small hamlet right outside of Ely) son of William and Ann Bonnet. A son of this pair called Thomas also moves to Outwell/Upwell.

William and Ann are brick walls but could be connected to this Robert who also states he is from Ely. The family rumour told to me by my grandfather who was told by his father who was told by his grandfather is that one of the grandfathers on the Bonnet line was "A Frenchman who spoke French" although we all know family rumours don't tend to be always true. John was up in Terrington which is not far from the Lincolnshire border so didn't know if there was anything in that marriage of Robert Bonnet to Sarah Deforges, considering that family has been traced back to Lyon, France in the 17th century.

Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq
Thomas Hobson of Glen. Gent