Author Topic: Anthony John 1903 - 1956  (Read 1630 times)

Online jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Anthony John 1903 - 1956
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 August 21 12:52 BST (UK) »
The DNA profile can be uploaded to other sites such as FindMyPast, Gedmatch & My Heritage cost free.
This will give a broader search.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline M27DDA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 August 21 13:49 BST (UK) »
Somewhere back in the grey matter I had the idea that John as a surname is a name connected with India.  Anglo-English perhaps ? though I also had the idea that it was a surname from India.  Looking at the back of the ID card seems to bear this out.  I am not sure if I have come across people here in NZ with this name of Indian descent or where.

Anyway from Wiki

John is a surname which, like the given name John, is derived from the Hebrew name יוֹחָנָן‎, Yōḥanan, meaning "Graced by Yahweh". People with this surname include: Anaparambil Joseph John (1893–1957), Travancorean freedom fighter and statesman, Chief Minister of Travancore-Cochin and Governor of Madras.

Just a little tip......while he may have embellished things you usually/often find grains of the real story there.  So dissect these stories.

I agree there is always some truth in lies and stories

Offline M27DDA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 August 21 14:47 BST (UK) »
The DNA profile can be uploaded to other sites such as FindMyPast, Gedmatch & My Heritage cost free.
This will give a broader search.

Thank you, I have downloaded the RAW data just didn't where would be best place to upload.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 August 21 15:37 BST (UK) »
Upload it everywhere that you can! It's free to do so and the more sites you're on, the more likely you are either to spot a link, or for a future "someone" to upload their DNA and spot the link to you.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline M27DDA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 August 21 15:39 BST (UK) »
Upload it everywhere that you can! It's free to do so and the more sites you're on, the more likely you are either to spot a link, or for a future "someone" to upload their DNA and spot the link to you.

Thank you I will do

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to rootschat.
Could you attach a copy (both sides) of his CR10 card?
There may be information on there which will help tracing his Merchant Navy career.

You wrote
"Because it is known that Anthony lied about his age to join the M.Navy stating a birth of 13/06/1901 on his CR10 card and stories of been orphaned as a young boy living descendants say he often told lies."

Afternoon,

Please find attached the copy of the CR10 card which has been found in various places including findmypast website.

I have been hoping to learn how to use the information on this card to find out any further information on Anthony including emailing the Southampton Archives but the email bounced with a unknown email account error.

There is nothing of interest on the CR10 apart from his Dis A number 1011655. This number is unique to him. Put it in your records, it may be of use later.
Apart from that all that we have is the date of the CR10. which is somewhere between 1818 and 1921. Photographs of an individual were only affixed between those dates.
Without boring you with details, the BOT in its wisdom decided that the threat posed by Irish seamen in the cause of home rule was a real threat and a photograph would act as a deterrent. Silly bug---s!

I doubt that the original CR1 CR2 and CR10 cards held by Southampton Archive will contain more than FindMyPast but its worth a try Be sure to give his Dis A number. What you really need is his cards CR1 and CR2
https://www.southampton.gov.uk/arts-heritage/southampton-archives/research-service-charges/

Hull History Centre may provide info re Sailors Orphans Homes
http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/HullSailors/

Scroll down near the bottom of the page.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline M27DDA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to rootschat.
Could you attach a copy (both sides) of his CR10 card?
There may be information on there which will help tracing his Merchant Navy career.

You wrote
"Because it is known that Anthony lied about his age to join the M.Navy stating a birth of 13/06/1901 on his CR10 card and stories of been orphaned as a young boy living descendants say he often told lies."

Afternoon,

Please find attached the copy of the CR10 card which has been found in various places including findmypast website.

I have been hoping to learn how to use the information on this card to find out any further information on Anthony including emailing the Southampton Archives but the email bounced with a unknown email account error.

There is nothing of interest on the CR10 apart from his Dis A number 1011655. This number is unique to him. Put it in your records, it may be of use later.
Apart from that all that we have is the date of the CR10. which is somewhere between 1818 and 1921. Photographs of an individual were only affixed between those dates.
Without boring you with details, the BOT in its wisdom decided that the threat posed by Irish seamen in the cause of home rule was a real threat and a photograph would act as a deterrent. Silly bug---s!

I doubt that the original CR1 CR2 and CR10 cards held by Southampton Archive will contain more than FindMyPast but its worth a try Be sure to give his Dis A number. What you really need is his cards CR1 and CR2
https://www.southampton.gov.uk/arts-heritage/southampton-archives/research-service-charges/

Hull History Centre may provide info re Sailors Orphans Homes
http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/HullSailors/

Scroll down near the bottom of the page.

Thank you for this information and suggestions.

Do you think it is possible he has crs10 forms in the fifth register? I know he served in to the 2nd world war possibly around 1943/44 before been dismissed for psychosis and threating to kill his captain.

I'll give Southampton archives another try incase it was just a error on their server before.

Also that Hull link maybe handy if he was telling the truth of been a orphan around Hull

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 10:40 BST (UK) »

Thank you for this information and suggestions.

Do you think it is possible he has crs10 forms in the fifth register? I know he served in to the 2nd world war possibly around 1943/44 before been dismissed for psychosis and threating to kill his captain.

I'll give Southampton archives another try incase it was just a error on their server before.

Also that Hull link maybe handy if he was telling the truth of been a orphan around Hull
[/quote]

There's every chance he has a Form CRS 10 in the fifth register. If anywhere it will be here.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10989107

These records are stored alphabetically in blocks of 60 names. You would be best served attending Kew yourself.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 05 August 21 15:17 BST (UK) »
Just had correspondence on another forum. The person concerned, who lives in Australia, recently had a form CRS10 copied and sent for £3.60.
So, ignore my advise on visiting Kew. Just send for a copy and see what comes back.

RIP Roger 10 August 2022