Author Topic: Enlistment record of William knight, 1st foot regiment 2nd battalion, regimental  (Read 391 times)

Offline rovert

• RootsChat Senior
  • grandad Ernest Judd 1880 - 1942
    • View Profile
Morning all,  is there someone on here who can help us with enlistment papers.  My man is William knight, regimental number 472.    We have his discharge records  and service record giving us the regiment 1st foot battalion.  He joined around 1859/1860.   He as born in Deane , overton Hampshire,  disc1st battalion sign up record ofarged 1874 in Middlesex   we can't find him on 1881 census.
 Thankyou in advance   .  Rovert

Judd - Croydon Surrey<br />Venner, Coote - Beckenham, West Wickham, Bromley Kent<br />Shepston -  Westminster London Middlesex, Bristol<br />Knight - Deane & Andover Hampshire<br />Bull - Chimney sweeps, south of England<br />Bowles - Winterbourne Gunner & PlaitfordWiltshire<br />Kirby - Kings Somborne Hampshire<br />Winter - Plaitford & Landford Wiltshire<br />Arter - Plaitford & Sherfield English Hampshire<br />Clark - Hayling Island Hampshire<br />Pink - Hinton Ampner Hampshire & West Witteri

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Enlistment record of William knight, 1st foot regiment 2nd battalion, regimental
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 July 21 09:46 BST (UK) »
It is the norm to find only a discharge record for that period.  As you have seen, that tells you he served from October 1859 to July 1874 and that he was 21 when he enlisted.  He intended to live in Overton when he was discharged.

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline rovert

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Enlistment record of William knight, 1st foot regiment 2nd battalion, regimental
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 July 21 09:55 BST (UK) »
So if we can't find his enlistment,  how can we double check that this is our man.  Blonde moment!!!! I thought his father or family member would have signed the concent .  Thankyou for your time.
Judd - Croydon Surrey<br />Venner, Coote - Beckenham, West Wickham, Bromley Kent<br />Shepston -  Westminster London Middlesex, Bristol<br />Knight - Deane & Andover Hampshire<br />Bull - Chimney sweeps, south of England<br />Bowles - Winterbourne Gunner & PlaitfordWiltshire<br />Kirby - Kings Somborne Hampshire<br />Winter - Plaitford & Landford Wiltshire<br />Arter - Plaitford & Sherfield English Hampshire<br />Clark - Hayling Island Hampshire<br />Pink - Hinton Ampner Hampshire & West Witteri

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 July 21 10:32 BST (UK) »
Joining the dots - you've seen that his discharge papers say he was born in the parish of Deane near Overton and that was his intended place of residence after discharge.  Can't be many William Knights born approx 1838 in Deane?  He gave his age as 21 when he signed on in 1859 and the army wouldn't check unless it was obvious a fib, so consent doesn't come into it, that was only required up to the age of 16.

MaxD

PS FreeBMD has a birth in Q 4 1838 in Basingstoke reg district (which includes Deane)
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline steviebyday

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 16:19 BST (UK) »
 think he was in Hong Kong 1861,
 then Birr (Ireland I think,)
 then April/May/June 1871 Ranikhet, India.

Offline rovert

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 18:07 BST (UK) »
Omgoodness, thankyou so much,   we very much appreciate your time.   

Rovert