Author Topic: Help needed finding when a house was built  (Read 1002 times)

Offline sandy35

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help needed finding when a house was built
« on: Saturday 31 July 21 18:30 BST (UK) »
H M land registry can't seem to locate it,is there any where else to try.I know it existed as my Grand parents built it.The area is Martley,Hillside.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed finding when a house was built
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 July 21 18:34 BST (UK) »
Where you able to provide a full address to Land Registry?  When did your grandparents live there?

Just giving an area is of no use -full address needed
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline sandy35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 July 21 19:10 BST (UK) »
About 1928,and yes full address as i knew it.Did every house have to be registered ?or just the land.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 July 21 19:41 BST (UK) »
Planning & Building permission would have been needed to build on any land - if the rules were the same in 1928 as today.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 July 21 22:51 BST (UK) »
Planning & Building permission would have been needed to build on any land - if the rules were the same in 1928 as today.
Not every Local Authority will keep all the plans they have ever received for development and the PLANNING ACT only came into effect in 1948 after which there was a requirement to keep details of all applications and a map for identification for use by the public.

Much will depend on how the authority treated its older applications, pre 1948 and what has happened in the various re-organisations in recent years.
One LA in which I worked took a 10% sample of each year's applications for archiving and dumped the remainder (after a suitable time lapse).

In another, when still the office junior, I was given the task of sorting all the plans, which were kept in various places in the office attic and in a variety of sizes of envelope, and matching them to the relevant Registers- took me ages but we finished up with a system where it was relatively easy to help such enquiries as this one.

I think rural authorities were much more lax in their approach to keeping records than larger Urban  authorities.

So it just depends how the systems were managed. And I think these days with most authorities there will be a search fee to pay!
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline sandy35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 August 21 00:00 BST (UK) »
These are rural properties,i'm just going to be brave and knock on the doors and ask the owners what they know once i've mapped out the area

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 August 21 04:01 BST (UK) »
You may find the GIS Mapping provided by Worcestershire County Council useful in terms of house names/locations.  The map also has a useful  series of overlays including 2005 aerial photographs on the Maps tab.   Just zoom into Martley Hillside to the north west of Martley. https://gis.worcestershire.gov.uk/website/WccGISOnline/

Kay

Added - This is the 1902 map to help you compare with houses built pre 1928 https://maps.nls.uk/view/101586340#zoom=7&lat=3337&lon=4885&layers=BT

Offline sandy35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 August 21 12:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you that was a great help,ordered a couple of maps,now the hard work starts.Again thank you.
sandra

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 August 21 14:00 BST (UK) »
My local  authority was able to find the original plans for my house (built circa 1928) so it's worth asking.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk