Author Topic: Neglected on baptism record  (Read 941 times)

Offline littlefacey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Neglected on baptism record
« on: Sunday 01 August 21 17:12 BST (UK) »
What does 'neglected' mean on a child's baptism record? Would it mean illegitimate?
Morralley, Morrallee, Moralee, Felton, Paxton, Schonbeck

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Neglected on baptism record
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 August 21 17:24 BST (UK) »
It would not mean illegitimate, but that the entry in the register was not made at the time of the baptism, but later on.

What is the actual wording?

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 August 21 17:26 BST (UK) »
Could it relate to Registers of Neglected Entries as mentioned under Understanding the contents of church registers on Scotlands People??  https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/guides/church-registers#Contents

Kay

Added A  small number of birth entries proved to have occurred between 1801 and 1854, but not entered into the parish registers

Offline littlefacey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 August 21 17:42 BST (UK) »
It would not mean illegitimate, but that the entry in the register was not made at the time of the baptism, but later on.

What is the actual wording?

FYI

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 August 21 22:33 BST (UK) »
I'm glad I asked for the exact wording, for this is my aunt, Anne Lamb, who married James Panton and died in 1877.

The last baptism in sequence for 1813 in the Longside register is on 28th December 1813 . This is followed by six other entries - four from March and two from June 1813. These entries all have "(neglected)" written at the end. It is either because the parents neglected to have them entered at the proper time or, possibly, because the session clerk was writing the register up from notes and missed them out in the proper places himself.

I will send you a personal message in case I have information on the family which might be of use to you.

Offline littlefacey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 August 21 17:52 BST (UK) »
I'm glad I asked for the exact wording, for this is my aunt, Anne Lamb, who married James Panton and died in 1877.

The last baptism in sequence for 1813 in the Longside register is on 28th December 1813 . This is followed by six other entries - four from March and two from June 1813. These entries all have "(neglected)" written at the end. It is either because the parents neglected to have them entered at the proper time or, possibly, because the session clerk was writing the register up from notes and missed them out in the proper places himself.

I will send you a personal message in case I have information on the family which might be of use to you.

I've emailed you :)