Author Topic: Missing Marriage: Richard Pattinson to Ruth Brown both of Kirkoswald.  (Read 1374 times)

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing Marriage: Richard Pattinson to Ruth Brown both of Kirkoswald.
« on: Sunday 01 August 21 20:18 BST (UK) »
After literally decades of searching for any clue to discover who the father of my illegitimate great grandmother was, I have finally found him after several DNA tests for myself and other family members and a huge amount of work.

My great grandmother was Mary Jane Dalton b 2nd Feb 1867 Crosby on Eden. Her mother was Jane Dalton b 27th Sept 1844 also at Crosby on Eden. DNA analysis in conjunction with the trees of many shared matches and traditional work now tells me that Mary Jane's father was Richard Pattinson b 1844 at Kirkoswald, Cumberland. He was the son of Richard Pattinson (b. 1813 at Kirkoswald - d. 1897)  and Ruth (pretty sure her maiden name was Brown) b 1821 at Kirkoswald to d. 1902.

Frisky Richard b 1844 appears to me to have been their first born. The 1841 census on Ancestry is almost impossible to read but according to some transcription/corrections Richard Pattinson and Ruth Brown? seem to be in Kirkoswald but living separately. How on earth anyone can deduce that from those feint records I will never know but if they are right I take my hat off to them. I suspect therefore that the marriage would have been at Kirkoswald between June 1841 and 1845. I cannot be 100% that the 1844 Penrith birth for Richard was my man (awaiting certificate) but I think it was. He was certainly baptised to Richard and Ruth on 22nd June 1845 at Kirkoswald so the likelihood is that the marriage was before then. The family went on to live in Renwick and are found on many census returns without too much difficulty.

I cannot find the marriage for Richard and Ruth in either civil registration nor parish records. I have searched on Ancestry but I no longer have Find my Past. I have also searched the British Newspaper Archive, Free BMD and Free reg without success. If no one can find the marriage can anyone suggest why not and perhaps what I can do to locate it?

I am also interested in anyone's views as to the likelihood of Ruth actually being Ruth Brown as I suspect and how to find who her parents and siblings were. If I can find her parents I can build a tree forwards for any siblings and perhaps do further DNA testing.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can offer help or insight into these frustrating problems.

Neil.

Middleham, Ronson, Skinner, Rowe, Dennison, Weightman, Dalton, Rowe, Brown, Stead, Thompson, Nicholls, Porter, Brough, Pattinson, Wannop, Ruddick, Waugh mainly in Cumberland, Yorkshire, Scotland.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Marriage: Richard Pattinson to Ruth Brown both of Kirkoswald.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 August 21 14:16 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD has a William Brown Pattinson birth reg 1854.
Unfortunately does not seem to be on GRO to confirm mothers maiden name ::)

Looking at 1851 Census
Children;
Richard
Catherine 5
Elizabeth 3
John under 6 mths

PATTINSON, JONATHAN mmn BROWN*** 
GRO Reference: 1850  D Quarter in PENRITH UNION  Volume 25  Page 140
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 August 21 14:25 BST (UK) »
PATTINSON, RICHARD mmn BROWN** 
GRO Reference: 1844  J Quarter in PENRITH UNION  Volume 25  Page 117

I cant see a Marriage either Neil.

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 August 21 22:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Trish. Ancestry was not showing me the mothers maiden name but when I saw your find I replicated it on the GRO search and confirmed that Richard's mother was in fact nee Brown. It also confirms that the certificate I have ordered is the correct one. Brilliant!

Still stumped re the marriage but really happy with that progress.

Thanks again Trish.
Middleham, Ronson, Skinner, Rowe, Dennison, Weightman, Dalton, Rowe, Brown, Stead, Thompson, Nicholls, Porter, Brough, Pattinson, Wannop, Ruddick, Waugh mainly in Cumberland, Yorkshire, Scotland.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 August 21 22:23 BST (UK) »
For info. William Brown Pattinson is showing on the Gro Index with a mother's maiden name of Brown.... they have simply got the sex wrong as showing as female not male!

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 10:40 BST (UK) »
Maybe the couple never did marry .
Other documents show them as husband and wife but could be common law wife .

I have a couple like this ...where the childrens baptisms clearly state parents NOT married but you wouldnt know from other evidence .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 10:51 BST (UK) »
I am happy I could help Neil.

Good work finding that reg Millmoor :)

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 13:02 BST (UK) »
Re your initial post. They may have been quakers or other non-conformist religion. Kirkoswald had non-conformist chapels: i.e. Congregational (at Parkhead), Wesleyan plus three independent congregations. Quakers could meet at Sowerby or Penrith.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline This Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 19:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you everybody. All help and advice is really appreciated. Millmoor - great find William. Brididmac, I need to make sure I have checked every record I can find for clues. They had 11 children so I should have plenty to go at. Clearly, do you know where I would find such records to check?