Author Topic: Diary > Summary - Week ending 8th August  (Read 3951 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Summary - Week ending 8th August
« on: Sunday 01 August 21 22:28 BST (UK) »
Starting off a new thread for news and comments from Monday 2nd August 2021.

Who would have thought at this time last year we would still be writing about staying safe from Covid? The news has been better in the last week in that numbers of infections have dropped. We can only hope that they continue to do so and the numbers of vaccinations continues to increase and we can overcome this dreadful virus.

Hoping to hear lots of good news.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Summary - Week ending 8th August
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 August 21 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone, I have read all of last week's entries, and I can echo Young Mr Grace, that you are All Doing Very Well.
I am glad to know those who have been ill are recovering steadily if slowly, and send immense sympathies to RTL, as I know how shifts wreck a sleep pattern until one is simply a walking zombie.
Thank goodness Viktoria is on the ball, so the neighbour wasn't left on the floor all night!!
Having survived an earlier foray to Lyme Regis where it was very busy, being a hot sunny day, on Saturday the Morris group danced at the very famous Sidmouth Folk Festival, which has been an internationally acclaimed event since 1955, with music and dance in every available space all over the town.
This year is a much reduced and restricted affair, and whereas in recent years around a dozen sides would dance on the first Saturday, I believe there were only 3 sides present, but we had an enjoyable day.  The weather was coolish with heavy showers threatening, so attendance was sparse, and people seemed relaxed and stress free. 
Yesterday was a more pleasant day, and attendance was greater, but still much reduced to past years.
Sending good wishes for the week ahead, to all.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 August 21 16:00 BST (UK) »
I do hope that there's no connection, mowsehouse, but I hear that a large slab of cliff face in the Lime Regis / Jurassic Coast area has collapsed!! Love Lyme Regis, not been there for ages, delightful museum there.
Boring week so far, heavyweight gardening - demolishing and re-organising an area - at least it's not raining.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 August 21 16:25 BST (UK) »
I do hope that there's no connection, mowsehouse, but I hear that a large slab of cliff face in the Lyme Regis / Jurassic Coast area has collapsed!! Love Lyme Regis, not been there for ages, delightful museum there.
Boring week so far, heavyweight gardening - demolishing and re-organising an area - at least it's not raining.
TY 

Golly TY, I had not heard about the cliff fall.
Actually our jolly day of dance was back in mid July while it was SO HOT, and we do make a lot of noise what with stick bashing and whooping, ;) but the fall was at Seatown, about 8 miles distance from Lyme Regis.
There is video footage, and thankfully the beach appears to have been deserted.... quite possibly fenced off as the cliffs are unstable. 
Apparently a large fissure had appeared on 21st July, and the fall seems to have happened on Saturday 30th.
I wonder if more prehistoric remains will have been uncovered.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 August 21 17:30 BST (UK) »
Sounds like a return to a bit of normality for you MH, albeit restricted. Good to hear you enjoyed it.

I went to get some petrol today, my first venture out (apart from short walks on the field) for more than three weeks. There was a handful of people in the petrol station, almost all wearing masks.
Feeling like I'm playing catch up with everyone else once again but thankful to be making progress however slow.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 August 21 21:32 BST (UK) »
I guess convalescence is a "game" of catch up.
If you can notice any small daily improvement you are winning Roobarb.
(And l could be in your shoes at any time!)
Go steady.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 13:02 BST (UK) »
Afternoon all
Roobarb, glad you’re making ‘ steady progress ‘, as a teachers report might say.
We haven’t done anything exciting or daring yet unless you consider trips to the supermarket.
Have had two non covid deaths of friends in this last week, both ‘expected’. Makes you think and ponder on life though.
With apologies to those who don’t have kids or grandkids, eldest grandson age 4 starts school in September . It has been quite common over the years for kids to get at least their first shoes and their first school shoes from Clarks, who are a well known brand in the uk. His mum says he def won't be getting a second pair of school shoes from them. He called yesterday to show me them. They cost £44!!!!! They are lovely sturdy black leather with Velcro straps and the grip on the bottom are like dinosaur footprints, but they aren’t a posh range, just a standard one. So scary and no wonder folk can’t afford them. Both our girls had Clark’s school shoes as did I , but I don’t think it’s a pattern that will be repeated. Be interesting to know what folk in other countries do school shoe wise?
North East of England

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 20:36 BST (UK) »
Well, all I can say is another very British firm will go down at those prices!
Ours had Start Rite ,expensive in their day but lasted from one size to them needing another,never wore out and never passed on .

Lovely  day today, but Dentist at 5-15 .
Horrible sour tasting liquid stuff squirted in my mouth ,I was gagging !
Watching the Museum programme, an expert was talking about the smocks agricultural workers wore, she said “ These   cotton garments”— well no missus ,cotton would not have lasted for long,they were linen !
Each County had its own design of smocking .
The second was an error of grammar , something is either unique or not ,it can’t be quite unique!
Something was described as “ quite unique “.

At the bus stop on my way home from the Dentist’s I noticed the new sort of rubbish ,discarded masks, all over the place!
I was the only one in the bus wearing one .
Glad to read of the gradual improvements in health in those who have been ill.
Look after yourselves and hope there is more improvement in health for anyone not 100%.
Viktoria.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 21:22 BST (UK) »
For the past few nights I have been taken into the bus station on my first bus to nightshift.  Didn't know if it was just a fluke though or down to the driver's discretion.
However, tonight I have just seen a notice so now it is official! 
No more walking to the bus station! Not that it was any real hardship .. but another tiny step back to normality! :)
Thanks for supportive messages re body clock issues. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner