Author Topic: Diary > Summary - Week ending 8th August  (Read 3952 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Summary - Week ending 8th August
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 16:43 BST (UK) »
Viktoria, I watched the same programme, and was also shouting "Not cotton!" - some ag labs' smocks were even more substantial than linen, being worsted, too! And the "unique" bit drives us made, as well.
We're both sticking with masks, rather fond of being alive, don't wish to risk it. Haven't risked public transport yet, though.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 16:51 BST (UK) »
I very much hope you don't mind yourself in my shoes MH, definitley not recommended.

I too always had Clark's school shoes. No need for apologies Candleflame, I don't have children but am happy to read about others' offspring. I'm very sorry to hear about your friends.

Viktoria, the 'quite unique' is a bugbear of mine too, there are no degrees of uniqueness. (Was asking myself if that's a word but Microsoft seems to like it.  :) ) Another one is when people on TV say "I'm speechless" . Err, no you're not!

Pleased to hear your journey is more straightforward now RTL.  :)

Yesterday I went for a walk with my friend J, it's been a while since I was able to do so. She was very concerned to make sure I was up to it and that I'd let her know if I wanted to stop and rest. We went a little further than I was expecting to be able to go before I felt that I needed to sit down, we sat on a bench looking across the fields to the sea. After spending a while chatting I suggested we walk on a bit, we didn't get too much further before I asked if we could turn back. The return walk seemed somehow easier and I didn't feel the need to rest.  :) I thought I'd be feeling exhausted today but I'm pretty good considering. I went for my short daily walk this morning and did some gardening. I must admit I did feel tired after that so have been resting since.
This virus affects people in so many different ways, I've experienced the flu virus many times in the past but I can't say I've ever had anything that's made me feel quite like this. the only parallel I have found with the flu is the post viral fatigue.Other than that it's unique. (I won't say quite unique Viktoria  ;) ;D ). Stay safe folks.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 18:36 BST (UK) »
Oh that must have been hard Mowsehowse, doing all of that energetic dancing in July heat but it probably felt good too to have life getting back to normal.  Where I live the Morris dancers perform outside a certain pub every New Years Day in normal times and this always draws a big crowd.

That's awful Viktoria that you ended up gagging at the dentist.  I think it tends to be the memories of unpleasant experiences like this that can put people off future check ups.
I was glad last year when my check ups kept getting postponed; even though I know this is probably not a good thing.  It did feel like a 'reprieve' though, each knock back. ;)

Candleflame, that's a shame that the Clarks shoes are so expensive.  They would probably sell more for kids if they could just lower their prices a little bit. Children grow out of their shoes so quickly and many parents won't be able to keep up with such expensive prices.  I feel for parents these days, everything is so expensive.  I do really like Clarks shoes though as they always seem to give a most comfy fit.  Toys prices seem to be very expensive too, I have noticed, when shopping for my Grandson.

Roobarb, yes from what I hear from others who have had this, it does seem to affect people differently and recovery time seems to vary too.  It is good to hear though that you are able to do the things you enjoy (walking and gardening) albeit having to do things at a more restful pace.   I hope I can continue to avoid being in your shoes but I take heart that at least we are better protected now through the vaccine.  I think I recall that there might be some booster shots this Autumn for the most vulnerable?

Well, tonight is my last nightshift for this week so I am looking forward to being able to go to bed properly tomorrow night (and being able to drink as much tea as I want ;)) and having a few days off before switching to days next week.
Keep safe everyone.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 20:43 BST (UK) »
Have a  well earned  rest RTL, you deserve  it

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 21:16 BST (UK) »
Roobarb, I hope you and Caroline's husband continue to recover.

My Mum in her 80s has had another fall. She has had quite a few falls last year and this year and already had 3 operations, to repair leg and arm breaks.

My rash and last of my swelling seems just about to have cleared up after 18 months and hope my kidney function will not give any further alarms. But a few strange reactions, including to new prescribed medication, so medication is a last resort says GP.

Out today with my mask on in public places 😷 Like TY, I've not been on the train yet.

We've been to a Restaurant or Pub a few times now and once settled at a table, remove my mask and switch off to the last 19 months and Covid and enjoy it.

We choose our eating out venues when they are not very busy or heaving and also where we know the seating is not, up close and personal.

As Professor Jonathan Van Tam would say about removal of restrictions ... Don't tear the pants out of it.

Shutting myself away is not something I want, but I'm certainly not going to throw caution to the wind either.

I've never prayed so much before, for my health to improve.

Keep safe 😷 Mark

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 21:25 BST (UK) »
To  be  honest  Mark I  imagine a lot of people  have  been praying  if  not  for  themselves  but  for  others also, it  has  been a difficult time, I  have  never  known so  many  deaths  surrounding  me , my  family  and  friends  and only 1
from Covid, but  things are  improving, we  have  to be sensible and  keep  ourselves  safe in  whatever  way we choose.

Look after  yourself

Louisa  Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 23:35 BST (UK) »
Good to read everyone’s news whether it’s good … or not so good..
 It does mean that in our own ways we are starting to get back to some sort of life!
Too late to make comments on everyone’s posts but I wish everyone well and hope you can all continue to make progress through the summer…

Like others I shall continue to wear my face coverings when inside shops or any other establishments that I feel the need…

Our previous visits to places, other than food shops, were during the last school half term when our daughter and the boys stayed for a couple of nights and we took them to the Shuttleworth  collection and a raptor centre… today we ventured to Henry Moore’s Sculpture foundation at Perry Green… mostly outside in wonderful surroundings.. a tranquil and enjoyable visit… we also went to the local pub there and sat outside and had a very nice lunch… it felt almost like normal times…
This coming Saturday another milestone as a village hall committee we are putting on an afternoon tea to welcome new and old villagers back to our hall… we hope to put tables outside but looking at the weather forecast it may have to be indoors! Fortunately it’s an old Victorian building with high ceilings and two doors to get a nice breeze going through! We just hope everyone doesn’t turn up at once!
It’s tragic to see how some hospitality venues are struggling for staff and having to reduce opening times when they do need the trade… all the NHS pinging must make it difficult too…. as we discovered today when we called into one very nice place we’ve used a great deal for various celebrations to inquire about having their orangery for a lunch in September for about 20… to be told they could only accommodate 14 but not for lunch…. We left very disappointed… we then went to another local well known pub and they were delighted to accept our inquiry and couldn’t have been more helpful…. so all being well we will be using them…

Caroline

PS… my OH seems to be much improved but after the last three days of lawn mowing golf and today’s outing is looking forward to just watching the Olympics tomorrow…. His words not mine!
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 August 21 07:11 BST (UK) »
Glad that OH has been able to do so much more lately, and a good day to be staying put in front of the TV for a rest, I think Caroline..... we have had high winds and heavy rain here most of the night, and it looks like that will be staying for a while.
What a contrast to yesterday which was a proper beach day here, though I did a shift, in costume, at the National Trust property. People seemed to enjoy passing through the main gate and finding me wafting around the forecourt in the sunshine. A few people asked for a photo, and several made selfies which I am guessing included me in the back ground.  Glad I am not there today in this rain.

Enjoy your days off RTL.  :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 05 August 21 08:48 BST (UK) »
Louisa Maud and Mowsehowse, you are both very kind.  I might stay up a bit today and not waste the entire day but will look forward to getting to go to bed tonight. :)

Mark, I'll pray to that things improve for you healthwise.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner