Author Topic: Woodger Brothers - When did they close  (Read 439 times)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Woodger Brothers - When did they close
« on: Monday 02 August 21 15:49 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm trying to find out when my great great uncle's drapers buisness in Newcastle called Woodger Brothers was wrapped up / liquidated and am looking for a bit of help.

I'm guessing it was when the last of the two brothers died in 1959 but I don't know how to confirm it, can anyone help?

The buisness ran from 1903 and I believe employed around 40 people at the height of their success and yet the only record I can find is in Kelly's and voters registers, surely such a long running buisness must have left more of a trace than that.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Woodger Brothers - When did they close
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 August 21 17:30 BST (UK) »
Shiny1, The name means nothing to me, but having done a quick 'google' using "woodger brothers, newcastle-upon-tyne" there are various references to that family surname.
Best of luck.
pyfb.

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 August 21 18:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot PYFB,

I have tried that a few times and as you say there is plenty out there connected to the surname but I have never found anything connected to the buisness in Newcastle.

They don't appear on Graces Guide and I haven't spotted anything in the London Gazette or even in Newcastle Library.

Can anyone suggest anywhere I can try contacting for help?

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 August 21 19:42 BST (UK) »
What about the phone books at Ancestry? There's a pretty complete run of them.

(I can't remember what the exact title of the dataset is - I usually just go to the card catalogue and put 'phone' in the keyword box.)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 August 21 20:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Arthurk, that's worth a look, I'll give it a try.

Michael

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 10:16 BST (UK) »
Woodger Bros are listed in Ward's Directory. It looks as though they were in Westgate Buildings 138A Westgate Road. The link below for Ancestry shows the entry under '138A' (if you look at the previous page, you will see that it appears that they were based in Westgate Buildings)

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1547/images/GB1340-00770?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=b9f04707aab3a635f63f6a90804b12d3&usePUB=true&_phsrc=fui108&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=866708

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 13:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks AllenUK, that's them.

Michael