Author Topic: Firefox doesn't display favourites  (Read 1172 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Firefox doesn't display favourites
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 14:05 BST (UK) »
I don't think the Home settings will affect what appears in the bookmarks toolbar, though they do include an option to show some of the bookmarks on your home page and/or new tab.

From what you say, Roobarb, it seems that the bookmarks and/or containing folders have mysteriously disappeared from the Bookmarks Toolbar folder. I don't know why or how this might have happened, but I have two suggestions for getting them back. Before you try either of them, though, go to the Library and select All Bookmarks on the left. Then in the top menu use the Import and Backup item to create a backup (onto the desktop will be fine - it's a temporary measure in case my suggestions don't work and you need to get back to where you are now).

First suggestion: in the same Import and Backup menu, hover on Restore. This should bring up a list of backups which Firefox has done automatically, and with any luck one of them will get your toolbar back to how it used to be, though you'll lose any bookmarks you've added since the date of the backup. (Use the same menu ('Choose File' at the bottom) if you need to restore the backup you created manually.)

Second suggestion: if the bookmarks/folders you want are in the Library but not in the bookmarks toolbar, when you're in the Library you can right-click and copy them and paste them into the toolbar folder. (Moving or dragging is also possible, but I'm suggesting Copy just in case there's a problem I don't understand with the toolbar - this way you'll still have the bookmarks/folders in the location you're copying from.)

Just one more thing - have you updated Firefox recently, or added or updated any extensions? I found a very old support forum post where someone had what seemed a similar problem, and an updated extension seemed to be the culprit.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 15:21 BST (UK) »
Have now tried your first suggestion and although the bookmarks are still there the missing toolbar hasn't appeared. Re the second suggestion, I've previously tried to copy and to drag the bookmarks but it didn't work and still doesn't after following suggestion 2.  :(

I haven't deliberately updated Firefox but sometimes these things just pop up and carry on, I just leave them to it so I'm not really sure whether it's updated itself recently. I've had a look too at posts about extensions, again I haven't intentionally changed anything.

I think there must be something fundamentally wrong, not only do I have the bookmarks problem and others mentioned but  but it won't let me choose the default search engine or choose a home page. It's looking more and more likely that I'll have to take the option Erato suggested.

Thank you for all your help.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 15:37 BST (UK) »
If you're getting other problems, a refresh probably will be the way to go, and the page Erato linked to looks admirably clear about what will and won't happen. I didn't follow all the links there, but the pages I did look at seemed equally straightforward.
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 15:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I'll have to have a go before it drives me completely up the wall!  ;D Will let you know - if I can't access it on my laptop it'll be from my tablet, here's hoping it'll be from my laptop.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 16:34 BST (UK) »
I followed the instructions but it came up with a Parsing Error  ??? ???

I downloaded Firefox again and it seems to have worked (part of screen shown  :D ) although it does keep popping up with this Parsing error that seems to relate to Chrome. Now I am mystified.  ???
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Dyingout

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father Charles in his hockey playing days
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 16:47 BST (UK) »
Roobarb. did you know you can edit the title of the shortcuts?
If you didn't. Right click on icon, click edit bookmark then shorten description to what you can understand. After a while you may become so used to it, that you will have like me just a row of icons.
Dow/Dowe Norfolk and Suffolk
Mulley/Wilden Suffolk
Loome/lombe Norfolk

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 16:53 BST (UK) »
No, I don't think I did know that. Thanks, will give it a go.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 17:18 BST (UK) »
Glad to hear that normal service is more or less resumed. I've no idea what that error message is about, though it isn't about Chrome. If you keep getting it, it might be worth asking again about it.

Firefox (and some other applications, I believe) uses 'chrome' as a kind of location/description of the files that control its interface. You'll see that the bit beginning 'chrome' is set out like a website's URL. 'https:' tells a browser to look on the internet; 'chrome:' tells it to look in its own files relating to its appearance etc. (Very simplified, and possibly not 100% technically accurate, but probably as much as most of us need to know.)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 20:22 BST (UK) »
The simplified version will do fine for me thanks.  :D Your reference to files relating to its appearance made me think  - when it first opened up it was as shown, ie with a light background. I did a reboot to see if it would get rid of the error message and when it came back on it was as if someone had turned the light out, the background was black instead of white. I corrected it by going into the settings and selecting the light theme but I still got the box with the error message popping up. I wonder if it'll be black again when I go back in. I can live with it if that's the only problem. 

I've edited the titles on my shortcuts and have been able to fit another one in.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham