Author Topic: Benjamin Glyn Morris  (Read 580 times)

Offline jennyrob

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Benjamin Glyn Morris
« on: Tuesday 03 August 21 09:55 BST (UK) »
Benjamin Glyn Morris was born in 1903 in Cardiff He married in 1925 in Cardiff but disappeared from his family.
 He had been in Merchant Navy and was a steward at one time
There is a Benjamin G Morris on record below on Ancestry I cant afford to extend my ancestry membership for one record but I need to either eliminate him or confirm he is my man .
Are these records available else where or can someone be so kind to do a quick lookup Thanks

New York, U.S., Arriving Passenger and Crew Lists (including Castle Garden and Ellis Island), 1820-1957
Passenger Lists
There is a Be

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Glyn Morris
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 10:31 BST (UK) »
New York Passenger List - Benjamin G Morris - 1902 - aged 27 years
Departure Port Southampton, England - Arrival Date 20 Aug 1929
Arrival Port New York, USA - Ship Name Majestic - member of the crew - B R Steward

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline jennyrob

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 11:01 BST (UK) »
Wow thanks for that I reckon it could be him
I wonder if he stayed as I cant find him on 1939 register of any death record Thanks so much

Offline jennyrob

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 11:15 BST (UK) »
I also found a seaman record so I dont think he stayed I cant translate it its a date of engagement from MM Office 2 Aug 1930 Southampton  His Dis A no is 969353 official number of ship is 140579
then there is number under stamp 6972/30 Perhaps I should paste of Merchant seamans questions

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 14:22 BST (UK) »
There is a tree at Family Search that has his death as 1976.

FS Tree: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/LTH7-8LK

This appears to be his death record in 1976.

Death: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVC5-J75Z

The death record gives his birth as 10 Sept 1903. His birth record gives birth as 3rd qtr 1903.

Birth: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2FDW-98P

Offline jennyrob

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 23:25 BST (UK) »
His wife Mona Herbert married Albert Hooper  in in 1941 on the marriage certificate  it says she is a widow so I dismissed the Swansea death

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 02:38 BST (UK) »
The Benjamin Glyn Morris 969953 was born 16 Aug 1902 He is likely to be the Benjamin Glyn Morris of  91 Kappoch st who is recorded in the Albany Rd School Register admissions in 1908, whose date of birth is the same date and month but 1 year out at 1903. He is with father Benjamin, mother Gwenllian and siblings at this address in 1911.

The Benjamin Morris death suggested at Swansea is a different person, who looks to have been living at Tairgwaith and Gawauncaegurwen in 1911 and 1939 with the date of birth as being10 Sep 1902 or 1903 on some docs.

Western Mail 21 August 1933 has a story about Benjamin Glynn Morris (described as a native of Cardiff, but of no fixed abode). He was sentenced to 6 months imprisonment for obtaining £5 from an Alan Fowler while he was a patient in the Royal Wolverhampton hospital at the same time as Fowler's father. He basically pretended to be a captain of the White Star Liner the Majestic, and for a fee to cover the cost of clothes, could get him a job a s ships' steward.

In the Birmingham Daily Gazette 21 August 1933, it says he gave his name as Thomas Morrison. The detectice said that Morris was living apart from his wife and children. on 17 Nov 1919 he was bound over for embezzeling and sentenced to 6 months hard labour. At Bristol he was chrged with obtaining food under false pretences and other charges were being taken into consideration. The detecitive was in no doubt that he had been imposing on nurses and other persons he had come into contact with while an inmate at various hiospitals, using his complaint as a means of obtaining money from them, One nurse had written several letters to him asking for the return of a gold watch and money. When admitted to the Royal Wolverhampton he had agreed to pay £3 3s a week and had  incurred a debt of approx £14 which had not been paid.

Bearing the above in mind, there is a record of a burial in Hendon Cemetery Barnet of a Benjamin Glynn Morris aged 32 on 3 Jun 1936 who died at the Middlesex Hospital  and was buried in a common grave.

Offline jennyrob

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 22:37 BST (UK) »
Wow Absolutely fantastic I cant believe you found all this out Been looking for ages So So grateful for all your help Will try and get his death cert now Jen

Offline jennyrob

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 August 21 09:40 BST (UK) »
Rang Hendon Cemetery and a man said he would look into the records He said he loved family history It was best part of his job
Would love to have the website that gives you all the newspaper cuttings x