Author Topic: Can anyone find my Scottish relatives  (Read 945 times)

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
  • The future is all about the past
    • View Profile
Can anyone find my Scottish relatives
« on: Tuesday 03 August 21 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I'm desperately trying to find my English Auntie who married a Scot and lived in Scotland for the resat of her life. I don't know if they married in England or Scotland but my earliest memories of her and her husband and some of their children  are of the times she returned to Leicester to stay with my Grandma and her elder sister Ivy. At rthis point the family resided in Coatbridge and as far as I know remained in Coatbridge where my Grandma and Auntie Ivy often went to celebrate Hogmanay.
So, I'm looking for Joyce Bates born September 1925 in Leicester and living at 43 Argyle Street in 1939. Her husband Jock Praties who was Scottish and who she met during the war when he came to Leicester with one of my uncles on leave as far as I understand it.
I think I only met 3 cousins but they may have had more than 3 children.
I can't find a marriage in Leicester and can't find either marriage, death or births of children either so if anyone is able to assist me with those dates I'd be extremely grateful.
I know that my eldest (I think)cousin,  was researching the family tree before me but though I messaged her I never heard back and looking at the dates I think it was quite a while before I found her tree that she last updated it and there was very little information. (If I can ever find her I'd love to share some memories with her and to hear some of her memories but that's an ongoing search.)

Thank you so much for reading this.
Kind regards,
June
Knight, Bates, Newton, Pick,Perkins, Marshall, North, Kilby, Beckett, Prince.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone find my Scottish relatives
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 18:08 BST (UK) »
From Scotlands people  :-\
PRATIES, JAMES
BATES, JOYCE
651/ 131
Airdrie

You will need to remove the names of anyone who could still be living from your post
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 18:11 BST (UK) »
The war ended in 1945 but the marriage was 1968?? 

Joyce died 1986 - See www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

At least 2 of the children were born quite a few years before 1968 so James may have been married previously
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 18:14 BST (UK) »
Possible death for Joyce
PRATIES, JOYCE
age 61
Mothers maiden name BECKETT
562/ 479
Coatbridge

Childrens births can be found on Scotlands people.  Possibly not the right marriage that I found

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 18:18 BST (UK) »
I think that you need to look at Scotlands people website as much of the information you are after is on there.  You can apply for certificates from that site

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 18:19 BST (UK) »
Definitely the right marriage & death Rosie
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 19:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the replies. You definitely have found my Auntie Joyce, Rosie. I think the marriage could be right too. I've registered with the Scotland's People site and will set about tracing the dates of the other members of her family. Thank you so much for the help and the advice re my cousins. I've amended the original post.

I'm sure Auntie Joyce left Leicester before the date of the marriage as my mum told me how sahe went to the railway station to see her off on her way to Scotland but it is possible that they lived together initially as I know that two of her children were around the same age as my sister and me.

Thank you again for the help.
June

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 19:51 BST (UK) »
Suspect James Praties was also born 1925 - birth in Coatbridge that year.  Died 1984 Coatbridge mmn McFarlane

1920 marriage for John Praties & Sarah Jane McFarlane

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 August 21 17:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you CaroleW, That would mean that both Uncle Jock and Auntie Joyce would have been around 14 when war was declared and around 20 when it ended so it is possible that they did meet when Uncle Jock came to Leicester with one of the brothers when they were sent on leave. It would also seem that they lived together before they married in 1968 as by that time my eldest cousin and I would have been 15 and I remember an incident that occurred around that time but have no recollection of a marriage being mentioned. My mum and her sisters were in frequent correspondence but sadly, after my mum died in 1974 my dad burned all her possessions.

Thanks again for the information about Uncle Jock, I'll hopefully find more about his family on Scotland's people. June