Author Topic: Please help identify Australian WW2 "Special Forces" unit  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Dinkydidy

• RootsChat Senior
  • When I WAS dinky.
    • View Profile
Re: Please help identify Australian WW2 "Special Forces" unit
« Reply #18 on: Friday 20 August 21 05:55 BST (UK) »
Very interesting JM. I bet there was a bit of grumbling amongst the intrepid Aussies at being handed pink forms.  ;D

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Please help identify Australian WW2 "Special Forces" unit
« Reply #19 on: Friday 20 August 21 07:10 BST (UK) »
Very interesting....  Early April 1940, NX1aaaa (a being a number !) a chap born in regional NSW, in a town on the Lachlan River, travelled by train to Central Station, Sydney to enlist.  He asked at Central, and was informed to go to Victoria Barracks, so he walked there. (this is oral history from his son, who went to school with one of my younger siblings).  He signed up at Victoria Barracks, and the form was P I N K ... 

Son knows this because his Dad told him so, and his Dad had added,  Victoria Barracks was allowed to use PINK as it was the headquarters, and the Sun never sets of the British Empire which is PINK on all the maps. 

So, I am basically sharing some urban myth,  but I have just now checked the naa.gov.au and .... yes there's the digitised B883 file for that chap.  He was a Private, 2/13 battalion, (Tobruk), POW

I will send you a PM with his NX number. - Yes, there's that form in that file and yes, it is on PINK paper.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.