Author Topic: Orange lodge or Masonic lodge? Opinions please  (Read 456 times)

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mary Hall nee Nevins 28-9-1914 - 16-3-2011
    • View Profile
Orange lodge or Masonic lodge? Opinions please
« on: Thursday 05 August 21 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi
I’ve recently been sent this photo, it looks like the date is 1920s or 30s.
Can anyone identify the lodge Or give me more info? Second photo it looks like the ladies have posed wearing their significant other’s sashes for fun!
Many thanks
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Orange lodge or Masonic lodge? Opinions please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 August 21 11:47 BST (UK) »
Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland

http://www.goli.org.uk

you can ring them e-mail or write to them.

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 August 21 11:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you Rathmore.
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 August 21 12:00 BST (UK) »

Royal Black Preceptory - RBP 610
http://royalblack.org/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 August 21 12:02 BST (UK) »
Kiltaglassan beat me to it. I was about to say: In the second photo the males have badges with the letters RBP 610. That stands for Royal Black Preceptory. They are formed into lodges, the same as the Orange Order, and obviously these 3 were in Lodge 610.

http://royalblack.org/mission-statement/our-history/
Elwyn

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 August 21 12:11 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to you both Elwyn and kiltaglassan!
I will email the institution to see if they have further info about the members of this particular lodge or division.
I notice one of the men has PM on his sash. Past Master?

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 August 21 12:46 BST (UK) »
I notice one of the men has PM on his sash. Past Master?

Indeed, Past Master.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 August 21 13:04 BST (UK) »
According to local (Belfast) newspapers, the name of R.B.P. 610 was the 'Dr. Kane Memorial Temperance', the first mention I could see was in 1904 (the first meeting) and the last mention was in 1964 (a death notice for a member's sister).   

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 August 21 14:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gaffy! That’s interesting info. I have sent the photos to the Royal Black Institution to see if they can help further. From the hat style, I believe this was taken in late 1920’s.
Thanks again!