Author Topic: Look-up in "Pubs of South Shields" by Eileen Burnett for "Admiral Rodney" + map?  (Read 439 times)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Dear all,

Google Books has a partial view of this book that does not include the index pages if there are any. Yet I know that the Admiral Rodney existed in the late 1700's from adverts in the newspapers for sales of ships. At least one of those ads is quoted in Amy C. Flagg's "History of Shipbuilding ...".

Last week, I lucked into a squib in the Newcastle Courant of 3 March 1792 about a runaway horse.

"The animal took fright and galloped with great fury down Pilgrim-Street, and the Butcher Bank, turned up the Side, and into the entry of the Admiral Rodney, where he struck his head with such violence against the top of the passage, that he was killed on the spot."

One of my ancestors owned the pub around then and I would love to be told
 a) if any info in that book and
 b) of a map that would locate it for me

Can anyone here help?

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look-up in "Pubs of South Shields" by Eileen Burnett for "Admiral Rodney" + map?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 August 21 17:14 BST (UK) »
Are you sure the pub was in South Shields?  Pilgrim Street, Butchers' Bank & The Side are in Newcastle.

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Look-up in "Pubs of South Shields" by Eileen Burnett for "Admiral Rodney" + map?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 August 21 17:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Rhododendron.

Aw!! Rats!!! Yes, I am sure that the Admiral Rodney pub I am looking for was in South Shields.

Cheers,
Westoe