Author Topic: Finding Sarah Cook who married Walter George Seconde / McEwan, an actor  (Read 1409 times)

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Sarah Cook who married Walter George Seconde / McEwan, an actor
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 August 21 07:58 BST (UK) »
Edwin's Will was for £127 left to his son John Samuel, so didn't think there would be much to help in his Will, but can obtain it.  John Samuel Cook, out of all his children, was the least of them to need £127 !

I think you misunderstand the wills index.
John Samuel Cook was the executor, not necessarily a beneficiary.
Read the will itself to see how the estate was distributed.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 August 21 08:43 BST (UK) »
Edwin's Will ordered.  Hope it helps find Sarah.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, Regarding St. Mary, Kirkdale, West Derby, Liverpool.  My 2 x gt grandfather was married there in 1871.  (The second of 5 marriages. Two of the others were also in Liverpool.)  I don't know why, as he had no connection with Liverpool.  Perhaps it was one of those churches that didn't ask too many questions... or didn't worry about the answers. Their son was born 8 months later.

Mike

Perhaps some one with local knowledge may know more.
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 10:32 BST (UK) »
I had presumed Sarah and Walter married in Liverpool because he was in a play or show there at that time.   I wouldn't have known or believed it was 'my' Sarah marrying Walter George Seconde as she called herself Sarah Florence - the Florence not appearing before  -  but the newspaper announcement said ' fourth daughter of Edwin Cook of Sansome Street, Worcester' which confirmed it.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 12:12 BST (UK) »
If you need to know about Walter's life try searching for "The Stage" and "The Era".  They both have on-line archives  through the British Newspaper Archive.  Try also Local newspapers for adverts and reviews.

Just checked FindMyPast has access to The Stage.

Mike
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 August 21 15:23 BST (UK) »
I have found quite a lot of newspaper articles for Walter and his artistic endeavours in the theatre, through BNA website.
Edwin Cook's Will didn't help me find his daughter Sarah but did help me find information on his youngest daughter Kate / Catherine !  I couldn't find anything on her as an adult but from the Will discover who she married and the family she went on to have.