Author Topic: Ronald and John McAllister and 2 McCallum sisters. Any information available  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Dooker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ronald and John McAllister married two McCallum sisters.  The sisters died in 1874 and 1888. The brothers born 1840 and 1849 respectfully, were both joiners/carpenters. Last information I have is Scottish Census 1891.

Ronald had 3 children, Margaret, Euphemia and Christina.  Margaret married Alexander Martin Blair 1898, had twins and were all on 1911 Census at Barrhead. Her marriage witness was Euphemia McLellan, her cousin from Cambusnethan
Christina died 1874 also her mother, Christy.
Euphemia last on 1891 Census with father Ronald and aunt Mary McAllister. at Ardrossan.

John had 3 children Mary, John and Duncan.
English census 1901 had a John 23, John 55 and Duncan 22 Not verified.
Mary nothing.

Ronald and John McAllister parents, as per their marriage Certs were John McAllister b1813 and Margaret Murphy b 1806

I have used all my resources, Ancestry, Find My Past, Family Search, Ireland, Immigration but fail to find. Ronald and dau Euphemia, John , sons John and Duncan and daughter Mary.

Scottish Census 1921will be out later, as not taken until June 1921 but I am trying to complete my research on the main family who are Hyndmans

Any help will be most gratefully received.

Thanks Dooker

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Ronald and John McAllister and 2 McCallum sisters. Any information available
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 August 21 21:13 BST (UK) »
You haven't given any birthyears for anybody apart from Ronald & John.  No birthplaces given for anybody.  You have posted on the Ayrshire board - whereabouts in Ayrshire were they all born?

You don't mention using Scotlands People which is the best site to use for this type of query

Look for marriages for Euphemia & Mary then look for deaths under their married names

If no marriage found - look for deaths under M*cAllister. 

Look for deaths for Ronald & sons John & Duncan

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Dooker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ronald and John McAllister and 2 McCallum sisters. Any information available
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 August 21 00:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for reply.

Sorry not to have stated that I had used Scotland People.  Have done that for Euphemia and Mary re possible marriages, or deaths.   Used that for Ronald and John and the rest of the family.re deaths etc
I used Ayrshire as the area as that was their last location. Ardrossan. Census 1881 and 1891

Ronald was b 1840 Saddell, Argyllshire as was his wife Christy Mc Callum b 22 12 1841  Children all born Greenock,  Margaret b 6.10.1870, Euphemia b 12 08 1872, Christina b 04 05 1874 died 05 05 1874.

John was b 1849 or 1850,, Ardrossan ? Birth taken from marriage certificate, 02 07 1875  Dalry Ayrshire. His wife Catherine Mc Callum b 1849 Kilmory, Arran, Bute, Children Mary b 21 01 1876,Greenock E, John b 1878 Greenock E, Duncan b 06 03 1880 Ardrossan.

Census 1881 and 1891 both families were in Ardrossan, Ayrshire.

Should I have made my query to Greenock area rather than Ayrshire?

If you are able to direct me to anywhere else that I may research that would be good.

Thank you, Dooker

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 August 21 11:00 BST (UK) »
If you don't have any of them after 1891 and at that time they were all in Ardrossan - then Ayrshire is the right board. 

However - when anybody is looking for them on the 1901/1911 censuses - their actual birthplaces & birthyears are needed to distinguish from other entries for the same names as they could have moved out of Ayrshire
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 August 21 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Dooker,

How is Ronald recorded on his daughter Margaret's 1898 marriage ? Is he recorded as deceased - as I assume her mother is?
Also what was Margaret's address at the time of her marriage?

Looby :)

Offline q98

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 August 21 01:08 BST (UK) »
Perhaps the Marriage Extracts of the children could supply additional detail? Are not "Parents" identified and, if deceased, shown as such?
q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'.30"E
Hamilton, Kennedy, Lovell, McCreadie, Murray, Workman - Ayrshire, Scotland
Lovell - Texas, USA
McCreadie - Dunedin, NZ
Boyle - Eire
McCreadie, Wills, Wyatt - Queensland
Tait/Tate - Toronto, Canada
Workman, McEwan - OFS, South Africa

Offline Dooker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 August 21 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hi loobylooayr,

Hello looby,

Thanks for your reply.
Margaret's Marriage Cert, married 16 09 1898  at Barrhead.
Her address was Springhill House, Barrhead. She was Domestic Servant.
Her father Ronald McAllister was listed as Labourer and not deceased.

Her Husband Alexander Martin Blair , Iron Turner, was at #15  Storeryland Street Barrhead. Street name (for Alexander) is not clear on certificate.

Thanks for any help your are able to give.

Dooker

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Dooker,

Apologies for not replying sooner.
I've not had any luck finding Ronald or Euphemia on Scotlands People either.
I note Margaret had a female cousin as witness at her wedding and not her sister - and although that's not unusual and there could be many reasons why - it makes me wonder if Euphemia is not 'there' as in deceased or maybe emigrated??
Euphemia - in case you don't know - could be shortened to Effie, Effy, Phemie.

Looby :)

Offline Dooker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 August 21 00:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Looby,

I have tried immigration etc and tried marrying Euphemia to her cousins in the McLellan family at  Cambusnethan, no luck. Yes I know the different ways Euphemia is shortened as it is all the way through the Hyndman family.  of which Euphemia is from.

I tried Ireland for the two McAllister men, Ronald and John as they were both Carpenters and the Titanic was being built in that era.  No luck there either.

Thanks for your help.

Dooker