Author Topic: Ronald and John McAllister and 2 McCallum sisters. Any information available  (Read 1787 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ronald and John McAllister and 2 McCallum sisters. Any information available
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 August 21 00:19 BST (UK) »
What was Euphemia's occupation in 1891?

Could she be in service in 1901?

I think Margaret and her husband may have another child - a boy in 1914 called Robert McAlister Blair at Largs, Ayrshire.

Looby :)

Offline Dooker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ronald and John McAllister and 2 McCallum sisters. Any information available
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 August 21 02:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Looby,

Euphemia Mc Allister was a Millener in 1891. Domestic Service was always employment for females and many did it all their lives.

For Margaret I did not look any further than 1911 Census as I was glad to have found that information

The Mc Alister brothers are only part of the family I am researching.  It was their wives who  were "my" family members.  They were McCallums, their  mother was a Hyndman.  My grandmother was a Hyndman.

The original family were Peter Hyndman born 1753 and Katherine Blue b 04 04 175, both  born Saddell.

Thanks again for your help.

Dooker.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 August 21 09:07 BST (UK) »
No bother, Dooker.

I found the child born in Largs because I tried doing a search for boys born between 1891-1920 with the forenames Robert McAllister - then shortened that to Robert McAl - on Scotland's people - on the assumption the girls may have kept to the traditional naming pattern and named their second son after their father.
 There are a handful of boys born during that period with those names - whether any are Euphemia' s  :-\ impossible to tell, obviously, without checking each record. There was one born in Kilmarnock Ayrshire in 1894 -who, geographically could be a contender.
Did the same with Christina McCallum - and unsurprisingly there were a lot of girls born with those forenames ( including Mary's daughter).

Good luck with tracking down the McAllister men.

Looby :)

Offline Dooker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 August 21 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Looby,

Thanks for the information. 

I don't intend to verify with Sc p for each name.  Usually it is a gut feeling and I have done well with that.

Some years ago I was able to go to Edinburgh Sc P when I was in Scotland and loved being there for a whole day.  Well worth the early train and especially worth the 15 pound for looking up everything. Also went to the Mitchell Library in Glasgow,  Great hobby researching.

Enjoy the rest of the summer, presuming you are in Ayr.

Dooker

Offline Dooker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 August 21 23:53 BST (UK) »
 Hi Looby,

My library is giving free access to Ancestry at the moment and I have used it a lot.  Yesterday and today I was looking at a Family Tree and found Margaret Mc Alister ; Alexander Martin Blair and Christina Mc Callum Blair. Looked at hundreds of photos and Documents and found Immigration to Africa.  I don't do Africa, why I do not know as the other side of the Hyndmans all went to Zimbabwe. !!! 

Anyway I found  Ronald  and Miss E McAllister , Mar 11, 1905 going to Algoa Bay, which is at Port Elizabeth. So. Africa.  Also Margaret Blair and Christina Mc Callum Blair going to Algoa in Mar 1924 and from Algoa to Southampton in 1938. Ronald Mc Alister  was Margaret Blair's father. Always returned to Barrhead.

Also found a John G Mc Allister and an  A Blair who were single and went o Algoa Bay in Oct 1896.

I think it all ties in.  I just have to dig a little more.and take names of ships etc. Also have to find out how to access African records.for Census etc.

The Blair family, parents John and Mary Martin, had loads of male children so there were lots of children with the same name, and some were named Robert Martin Blair which was a name you gave me.

Thought I would let you know what I found as Rootschat always manages to find information for our questions but don't think we tell you of our findings.  This information may help you with someone else.

Again Thanks.

Dooker

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 August 21 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Dooker,

Well done finding the family travelling to South Africa - I wonder where Ronald and Euphemia were hiding at time of 1901 Census  ;D ?
At least you know where to focus on now.
The name of the child born in Largs was  (apologies because I got it wrong first time around)  - Ronald McAllister Blair not Robert Martin Blair.

Best wishes with the rest of your research 

Loobylooayr ( not in Ayr itself but a small town in Ayrshire)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 August 21 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Dooker

You can try searching on Family Search for the McAllisters. They have some good BMD and probate records online. Just restrict the searches to South Africa.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 14 August 21 19:10 BST (UK) »
Not sure what specifically you are looking for - Ronald McAllister's baptism:

Runal (as transcribed) McAlaster 4/1/1840 Saddell & Skipness, Argyllshire son of Jon McAlaster and Margaret McMurochie.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dooker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 14 August 21 19:54 BST (UK) »
To Loobylooayr  MonicaL and Annette7

I thank you all for the information and will now look to Africa for the 2 families  from  1891,and  1898(daughter Margarets wedding date) onwards and see what I find. Family search is very Good.

I will check our Ronald Mc Alister Blair, will use the Ancestry Tree where I found all the Blairs.

Annette, The Birth/Baptismal details for Ronald McAllister that you listed was the details I used.  However did not find a similar type for brother John.

Just part of my ongoing puzzle, which is very enjoyable to me.

Thanks again,

Dooker