Author Topic: Camperdown Cemetery Newtown (Sydney) MI's  (Read 323 times)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Camperdown Cemetery Newtown (Sydney) MI's
« on: Saturday 07 August 21 13:41 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered the database for burials at Camperdown cemetery

http://gutenberg.net.au/camperdownNSW/_home.html

It's fabulous as it links family members together. Consequently I found a death/burial that I've been chasing for ages.

My question is - has anyone been able to obtain a photo of a headstone or find if a headstone actually exists there? Who do I ask for a photo, if possible?

(Family is BAXTER - Husband George died 1875, wife Mary died 1863)

Thanks all - hope you're staying safe.

Di

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Camperdown Cemetery Newtown (Sydney) MI's
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 August 21 03:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Di

I live in close proximity to what was originally Camperdown Cemetery. In 1948, that cemetery was converted into Camperdown Memorial Rest Park, the extant above-ground monuments having been relocated to a walled section adjacent to St Stephen's Anglican Church, many of the headstones being merely posed against the retaining wall where they remain to this day. It is currently referred to by locals as St Stephen's Cemetery. The unmarked graves, numbering approximately 18,000, were covered with soil during construction and are now (rather ghoulishly) beneath the feet of the numerous local residents who frequent Camperdown Memorial Rest Park. The park and adjoining St Stephen's Cemetery are the most popular dog-walking sites in Newtown/Camperdown, as it has been for us for many years. I would be most happy to have a look in St Stephen's Cemetery to see if there is a headstone for your Baxter ancestors and, if so, provide you with a photo. In the interim, you can read about the history and conversion of Camperdown Cemetery here: http://honisoit.com/2021/03/unearthing-camperdown-memorial-rest-park/

You have no doubt already read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camperdown_Cemetery

If you require any further information, please send me a PM.

All the best,

Rodeo

Online CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 August 21 05:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Di, I have distant relatives buried in Camperdown and was lucky to find headstone photos  on the website you mentioned.  On the page of the website "list of Burials Alphabetical order" it is has this note

NOTE: The ID is shown in blue if one or more photos exist or if there is a note about the person. Click on the ID to view the photo(s) and/or note.

hope you find a photo

Keep safe, Cass

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 August 21 06:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Di

I live in close proximity to what was originally Camperdown Cemetery. In 1948, that cemetery was converted into Camperdown Memorial Rest Park, the extant above-ground monuments having been relocated to a walled section adjacent to St Stephen's Anglican Church, many of the headstones being merely posed against the retaining wall where they remain to this day. It is currently referred to by locals as St Stephen's Cemetery. The unmarked graves, numbering approximately 18,000, were covered with soil during construction and are now (rather ghoulishly) beneath the feet of the numerous local residents who frequent Camperdown Memorial Rest Park. The park and adjoining St Stephen's Cemetery are the most popular dog-walking sites in Newtown/Camperdown, as it has been for us for many years. I would be most happy to have a look in St Stephen's Cemetery to see if there is a headstone for your Baxter ancestors and, if so, provide you with a photo. In the interim, you can read about the history and conversion of Camperdown Cemetery here: http://honisoit.com/2021/03/unearthing-camperdown-memorial-rest-park/

You have no doubt already read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camperdown_Cemetery

If you require any further information, please send me a PM.

All the best,

Rodeo

Thanks for your very kind offer Rodeo. After I read the post by CassT below I read that some names where shown in blue denoting a headstone photo was available (hadn't noticed that  ::) .
Unfortunately by Baxters weren't "blue". Therefore I guess it means there will be no headstone.

I really appreciate your offer, thank you  :-*

Di

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 August 21 06:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Di, I have distant relatives buried in Camperdown and was lucky to find headstone photos  on the website you mentioned.  On the page of the website "list of Burials Alphabetical order" it is has this note

NOTE: The ID is shown in blue if one or more photos exist or if there is a note about the person. Click on the ID to view the photo(s) and/or note.

hope you find a photo

Keep safe, Cass

Thanks for making time to answer. I hadn't noticed that some names were highlighted/blue denoting a photo of the headstone was available etc. Unfortunately the Baxters weren't one of those.

Thanks anyway, I appreciate your help

Di