Author Topic: Unknown Soldier  (Read 2922 times)

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown Soldier
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 01 September 05 08:26 BST (UK) »
hiya trevor,thats the badge that was worn on the slouch hat or forage cap,the hampshires had about 7 or 8 different badges in ww1,but ime not sure what badge the service batts were issued with,they could have been issued with these so you could be right mate,i will ask one of the lads on the forum,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Rebecca Steele

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 01 September 05 14:10 BST (UK) »
I feel I'm banging my head against a brick wall with this one. I'm not coming up with any names that I recognise  >:(.

Is there anyway I can find out who he is if he didn't die in the war? Say from an enrolment list or something?

Morgan - Herefordshire, Worcestershire * Bullock - Worcestershire * Taylor - Gloucestershire, Worcestershire * Peverill/all/ell - Middlesex, Brighton, Essex * Knee - Gloucestershire, London area * Brenan - Any area * Steele - Dorset<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 01 September 05 16:19 BST (UK) »
chui,he may not even be a family member,many young ladies wrote to soldiers at the front in ww1,they were like penpals and usually exchanged photos,but without a name theres not much chance,do you have a suspect we can try out,it cant do any harm,mack
ps.geneology is supposed to make you frustrated,its all part of our ancestors revenge on us  ;D
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Rebecca Steele

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 01 September 05 16:31 BST (UK) »
I have a feeling that this photo came from a great aunts photo album, as she gave my uncle quite a few when he visited her once. Sadly both of them have now died.

My gut feeling is that he is not a blood ancester, but an ancester by marriage - if you get my drift!

Seeing as he is probably from the Hampshire Regiment, he could be a Peverill, as they were living in Brighton in 1901. My great grandma was a Peverill before she was married, and he could be a brother of hers, but unfortunately I do not know too much about this side of the family yet, and have only gone back to 1871 on the census.

I know it doesn't sound like it, but I am quite enjoying this mystery! ..... at the moment! ;D

Morgan - Herefordshire, Worcestershire * Bullock - Worcestershire * Taylor - Gloucestershire, Worcestershire * Peverill/all/ell - Middlesex, Brighton, Essex * Knee - Gloucestershire, London area * Brenan - Any area * Steele - Dorset<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Man of Kent

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 02:03 BST (UK) »
Could be worth a posting on the Southern Life site.
http://www.southernlife.org.uk/

Offline Rebecca Steele

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 08:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that link - will post him up there later
;D