Author Topic: Diary > Summary - Week ending 15th August  (Read 4006 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Summary - Week ending 15th August
« on: Sunday 08 August 21 22:17 BST (UK) »
Another week gone,  government figures show that after the July peak in Covid infections in the UK and a subsequent fall they have now levelled off. More than 47 million people in the UK have had their first dose of the vaccine and 16 and 17 year olds are being invited to be vaccinated.

I look forward to hearing news from Rootschatters around the world for the coming week from Monday the 9th. Hope it's good news.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Summary - Week ending 15th August
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 August 21 01:58 BST (UK) »
I hope you are feeling better Roobarb - I know you’ve been having some bad and some not quite so bad days.  :(

Things here are still pretty dire in NSW, and Victoria is also now in lockdown. Our eight day lockdown finished yesterday, with some restrictions, as numbers are under control.

There is a huge push here for everyone to be vaccinated. We are a bit late to the party but until recently we were in a good position compared to other countries, so no sense of urgency.

I think it is today that there is a mass vaccination of year 12 (17year old) school students in some of the worst affected areas around Sydney. As the majority of those who contracted COVID in my area were school children, I think the focus is on them now, with masks to be worn at school starting today. I predicted that the virus wouldn’t be taken seriously by some people until it took hold in the younger ones. We shall see how it all goes. :-\

News from me is that I had my first jab last Thursday after dilly dallying about the AZ for some time, but there was no other choice for me at this stage. Felt decidedly ordinary on Thursday night, and slightly sore arm for a few days. Hoping that nothing nasty is brewing.  :)

With the lockdown it’s been quiet here. Recently watched “Mother, Father, Son” - starring Richard Gere and the lovely late Helen McCrory. Not a laugh a minute.  :-\  Now started  “The Driver” with David Morrissey. That’s not going to end well I don’t think.  ;)

I hope everyone is well and enjoying being (somewhat) back to “normal”.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 August 21 07:39 BST (UK) »
Morning All.
Very sorry to know your recovery is slow Roobarb, but convalescence is a tricky time, take it slowly and make allowances for yourself; it is natural to feel well enough some days to over reach, and then be down again for a few days. (As Caroline's husband will agree I am sure.) 
Another short sharp lockdown in Melbourne, and home learning packs have been collected. I have sent a couple of story books for the girls to read to their brother, which might help. At least the family are able to spend time with their horse, which gives them purpose and structure to the days, and some sense of freedom, perhaps.
I know they are resistant to the vaccine, and I wait with interest to learn what happens in that respect. Glad to know you haven't had much reaction Ruskie.
We had a good deal of rain here yesterday, and overnight again.
3 ships in the Bay, though there weren't any for a few days last week.
The Olympics closing ceremony was an interesting event, if a little long perhaps. Seems so odd to know that stepson could have seen right into the stadium from his apartment, if it had all happened last year as planned, but now he is living in Canberra.
This morning I am off to Teignmouth to meet up with one of our regular contributors, who is visiting South Devon at present. I feel a little nervous!  :-\
Trusting you all have a good week.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 August 21 08:38 BST (UK) »
Morning..
Roobarb- I’m sure with each day that passes you will notice things that weren’t there the day before…. Sense of taste… walking a little further and doing other chores…
My OH has improved a great deal over this past week… from playing 12 holes golf one Saturday and being in bed before 9pm that night through utter exhaustion to just 3 days later playing full 18 holes and although tired not wiped out!

Ruskie - I’m pleased to hear that you’ve made the decision to have your first jab… my son and wife have had both of theirs in June they had the Pfizer one. They’re hoping no more snap lockdowns for the moment as they’re house is going up for sale tomorrow…. They’ve bought a house and 4 acres in Birkdale!

MH - you certainly seem to have had some poor weather recently…. Hope it improves for what’s left if the summer! Good to hear you’re meeting up with a RC hope you enjoy it..

My forthcoming week looks quite a busy one which will be almost like normality 😂😂. All depends on the weather of course…

Catch up later

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 August 21 08:53 BST (UK) »
QUOTE: "My OH has improved a great deal over this past week… from playing 12 holes golf one Saturday and being in bed before 9pm that night through utter exhaustion to just 3 days later playing full 18 holes and although tired not wiped out!"

That is good news Caroline.... :D  I am delighted to hear it and I am sure Roobarb will be close behind him.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 August 21 09:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks MH after the last gruelling 7/8 weeks it’s nice to see him almost back to normal…. Good job as the boys and our daughter are up next week to stay for a few days and we’ll need plenty of energy!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 August 21 13:36 BST (UK) »
Glad to hear that your OH is better Caroline. It must be a relief for both of you.  ;D There’s quite a little English community round Birkdale way, and the market is fairly lively so your son shouldn’t have any trouble selling.

MH, there is quite a lot of hesitancy with getting the vaccination in Australia, but I think at
last that is changing - it’s getting a bit scary here. AZ is not the vaccine of choice though.

Moderna has just been approved, so it will be interesting how the uptake of that goes.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 August 21 16:23 BST (UK) »
It does seem so unfair that after all of the Antipodean efforts early on to defend against this virus "family", that you are getting "hit" so very hard now.
Mind you, as things are loosening up so fast over here, I quite expect another huge upheaval.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 August 21 17:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for good wishes everyone, I'm pleased to hear that Caroline's OH is doing so well and am hoping to soon follow his example. Very much hoping to be able to taste things soon, I need something to encourage me to put the weight back on that I could ill afford to lose.

I agree with TY, it does seem unfair that Oz is being hit with this after doing so well. I hope the vaccination programme progresses well.

MH, I hope your meeting with the other Rootschatter went well, I'm sure they'll have been nervous too. I'm guessing at who it is.  :D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales