Author Topic: William Wellwood - Convict arrived New Years Eve 1830 on the Burrell  (Read 625 times)

Offline shume

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William Wellwood - Convict arrived New Years Eve 1830 on the Burrell
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 11:39 BST (UK) »
A ticket of Leave was granted to convicts for good behaviour and was like a licence or bail and they were free to work within a designated area ( ? Deniliquin) and start a new life in Aus before the end of their sentence. My understanding of a conditional pardon was they could live anywhere in Aus but not return home. Great majority of convicts would not have the financial means to travel overseas (although some did return home)
Ancestry has dates from 1830-5 for him on the Phoenix Hulk ( a prison hulk in Port Jackson)
shume    australia
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 11:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I had seen that and it gives a good description of his tattoos that I hadn't found before. As a "missing friends" article, does that mean he's been in Australia up to 1879? Or could it mean he's left and come back - the ticket to leave passport feels like a definite intention to leave the country...

It is NOT a ticket to leave passport.  It IS a ticket of leave passport.  He has permission to move between two districts within the one colony  while he continues to serve out his sentence.  So he is not in a gaol, and he is assigned to a master who may have more than one place where he wants your chap to work, or he may be lent to another master to do seasonal work.... he is a trusted person,  abit like parole.

Oops,  I will delete some of my words.   I did not get red warning,  Sorry Shume for duplicating.   ..... I am on e reader.... my fault.   :-[  :-[  :-[

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Wellwood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 12:38 BST (UK) »
Ah, I see. That makes sense - this is my first family member who has ended up outside of Scotland or Ireland so I'm learning the terminology. Thanks for the clarification.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 15:01 BST (UK) »
Wellwood’s ticket of leave passport (April 1847) allowed him “ to proceed to any part of the colony in the service of Mr. J J Galloway surveyor for 12 months.”

Surveyor, John Galloway biog here -
https://www.hawkesbury.org/people/galloway-john-james.html
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland)

Offline Wellwood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 15:20 BST (UK) »
I hadn't been able to find that much detail except his ticket of leave passport was given on the recommendation of "Mr Labato".

Up to that point he wasn't a particularly well-behaved prisoner and committed several crimes during his time as a convict:
https://www.freesettlerorfelon.com/searchaction.php?page=1&surname=wellwood&ship=&firstname=william

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 15:32 BST (UK) »
I noticed he was a “carter” when first sentenced in Scotland. The man who died in Deniliquin was also a carrier - another term for a carter.
His NSW marriage or death records may give you more info.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 00:22 BST (UK) »
NSW electoral roll 1870 THE MURRAY (this included the districts of Deniliquin, Jerilderie, Moama, Moulamein and Tocumwal)

William WELLWOOD, Freehold,  Deniliquin. 

NSW ER 1878 THE MURRAY,  -
the surname WELLWOOD does NOT appear on the ER for THE MURRAY in any of those districts.

NSW State Archives: https://search.records.nsw.gov.au/permalink/f/1ebnd1l/ADLIB_RNSW112571398
William Wellwood Date of death 7 August 1877, Granted on 18 March 1878

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/225826269   NSW Government Gazette 6 Nov 1877, he was late of Deniliquin, and Probate was granted to his widow, Mary.

supporting Neale's excellent post :
Letters of Administration for previously mention death in Deniliquin.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/225826269?searchTerm=%22%20william%20Wellwood%22

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 01:15 BST (UK) »
Hi JM,    can you suggest which record would give the most detailed information - his marriage in 1862 or his death in 1876?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 01:33 BST (UK) »
Yes,  and sadly, scant on either is the likely option.

The 1862 marriage ought to have first hand details of his origins and his parents names, BUT most likely it won't (the clergy were in a huge dispute about just how much info to share with the secular authority that was NSW Reg General's office - some of the employees in that office were not the same denomination as the clergy records they were registering -  so a C of E clergy did not want a RC clerk in the Reg Gen's office to process and vice versa ... four decades that dispute raged ie from 1856 commencement of civil registration to mid 1890s.)

So I am waiting on my offline team - my ancient rellies-  to phone me with their thoughts (retired Clergy, retired archivists and retired NSW BDM senior officers)...   The 1876 d.c. does NOT make good sense to me, as the NSW State Archives has the dod as 7 August 1877, if 1877 is correct, then the d.c. 1876 is not his or ... 'vice versa'.  BUT we are ONLY looking at indexes ... so there may be typographical errors...  hence my comment about waiting ... perhaps a day or so ... these ancient rellies are in regional NSW and umm... may be concerned for current Covid lockdowns and perhaps are busy checking on each other re masks, essential supplies etc.   :)  :)   so umm perhaps a day or so :D  :D before I give a proper answer.  ;D  ;D   ...  My husband and I had driven to them all and loaded up their pantries, freezers etc, with as much as possible weeks ago, but likely those supplies are rapidly diminishing..   

JM