Author Topic: Griffith Barnard Jones  (Read 604 times)

Offline grubheam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Griffith Barnard Jones
« on: Tuesday 10 August 21 02:14 BST (UK) »
I gave it up searching for Griffith Barnard Jones who married to Elizabeth Jane Gallop in Dorset in 1921. He was born in 1873 in where I don’t know. His father was John.  Elizabeth was born in 1881 in Dorset. Griffith was a widower on the marriage certificate. I saw find a grave website showing his name but no birthdate nor who was his wife! All I need was Elizabeth’s whereabouts or death after 1921. I tried 1939 England Register on ancestry but no luck.

Any magic please?
Gallop / Gallop of Mid & East Dorset & Bournemouth area
Grubheam of Herefordshire
Luker of Abingdon, Berkshire & Tunbridge Wells, Kent
Dwight of Middlesex & London

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Griffith Barnard Jones
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 02:45 BST (UK) »
Could this be her death?
Death March 1/4 1957 
JONES Elizabeth J B   age 75 Bournemouth vol 6b   page 167

Griffiths?
Death December 1/4 1943   
Jones Griffith B   age  69 Pontefract vol 9c page 142

The marriage certificate gives his age as 48 at the 1921 marriage so born c 1873 which would fit with the above death reg.
His father's name was given as John Jones, occupation Carpenter.

There is a Griffiths Jones (no middle initial) born 1874 and an Elizabeth J Jones 1881 together on the 1939 register but they are in Merthyr Tydfil.

Jones is certainly not an easy surname and it may be that he added the middle name Barnard later in life.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 04:03 BST (UK) »
Whilst Griffiths Barnard Jones was listed as a cutter on his marriage cert the Griffith Barnard Jones who died in 1943 was a Rev?    A strange change of occupation if it was the same person

There is an artlcle in the Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer 9 September 1939 re the appointment of the Rev  Griffith Barnard-Jones curate of St Bartholomew Sheffield to the vicarage of Hensall-with-Heck and he is living there is 1939 with wife  Elizabeth J but his birth date is in 1885 with hers altered from 1886 to 1881  :-\   Maybe the birth year was incorrect in 1939 for Griffith as well?? 

Barnard-Jones was hyphonated on his gravestone https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/89894449/griffith-barnard-jones , in the newspaper article and in 1939

Kay

Added The earliest reference I can see of him in newspaper articles as a Rev G Barnard-Jones is in 1927 when he was a vicar in Barnstaple Devon

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 08:05 BST (UK) »
The only marriage I can find for a Griffith B Jones  between 1890-1920 is to Annie J Davies,  June Q 1919, Pontypridd.  This followed by the death of Annie J Jones, age 33, Pontypridd. Sep Q 1919.

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 09:02 BST (UK) »
The marriage between a John Jones and Ann Barnard was registered in Carmarthen 1866, but I have not been able to trace them with any degree of certainty subsequently, nor link them to a Griffith.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 09:14 BST (UK) »
The marriage between a John Jones and Ann Barnard was registered in Carmarthen 1866, but I have not been able to trace them with any degree of certainty subsequently, nor link them to a Griffith.

The marriage took place on 15 April 1866 at Llangunnor, Carmarthenshire

John Jones 29 - a Mariner From Carmarthan with father John Jones a Master Mariner
Ann Barnard 28 from Pensarn - Father David Barnard Labourer

Kay

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 09:37 BST (UK) »
In The Rhondda Leader (11th July 1908) there is a report entitled Mining Successes.  This celebrates the successes of students who attended evening classes at Porth Elementary School and undertook the County Mine Surveying Examination.

One of the students attending was a Mr Griffith B Jones of Brittania, Porth.  Further on in the article, it gives Mr Jones' address as being Eirw Road, Porth. 

As this was only a few years before the 1911 census, I wonder if Mr Jones is still at that address?

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 09:40 BST (UK) »

As this was only a few years before the 1911 census, I wonder if Mr Jones is still at that address?

If it is the right person, he should be there in 1911 because there is an advert in Y Darian 6th July 1916 which mentions a Griffith B Jones of 60 Eirw Road

Wrong person - this GBJ is born c. 1888

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 09:45 BST (UK) »
Scrap that idea - this GBJ was born in 1888  :'(