Author Topic: Anti-vaxxers' arguments  (Read 5921 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Anti-vaxxers' arguments
« on: Tuesday 10 August 21 10:45 BST (UK) »
A good explanation of typical reasoning used by those avoiding vaccination on More of Less (the shorter, World Service, edition).

You can hear it at https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09rkn2z

The argument goes that if (numbers made up just now!) there are two people in hospital who are not vaccinated, and three who are vaccinated, then vaccination must be 50% more dangerous.

However, if there are 10 people unvaccinated people in the population, and 100 vaccinated people, then the hospitalisation rate is 3% in the vaccinated population, and 20% in the refusers.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Anti-vaxxers' arguments
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 11:06 BST (UK) »
A good explanation of typical reasoning used by those avoiding vaccination on More of Less (the shorter, World Service, edition).

You can hear it at https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09rkn2z

The argument goes that if (numbers made up just now!) there are two people in hospital who are not vaccinated, and three who are vaccinated, then vaccination must be 50% more dangerous.

However, if there are 10 people unvaccinated people in the population, and 100 vaccinated people, then the hospitalisation rate is 3% in the vaccinated population, and 20% in the refusers.

UK Government deaths figures are regularly published (a few weeks behind) of those aged over 50 and those under 50 admitted to hospital who were vaccinated and unvaccinated.

To compare the two figures with each other, you would need exactly 50% vaccinated and 50% unvaccinated in the population, in those age groups.

Mark

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 11:15 BST (UK) »
Well apparently, according to a friend, she said her son has read on FB that having the vaccine makes a certain part of the male anatomy shrink!  ;D ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 12:58 BST (UK) »
Well apparently, according to a friend, she said her son has read on FB that having the vaccine makes a certain part of the male anatomy shrink!  ;D ;D
Well, if it said that on FB it MUST be right.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 14:05 BST (UK) »
Mazi has gone to find her magnifying glass to see if it’s true.

I am hiding  ;D ;D ;D

Mike

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 15:11 BST (UK) »
It all comes down to interpretation of the statistics.  We all know that you can interpret them many different ways, hence the saying:
There are lies, damn lies and statistics.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 16:05 BST (UK) »
"More or Less" is an excellent programme. Of course, I would say that, wouldn't I, since it's on "mainstream" media" and I've probably been brainwashed since birth. My mother couldn't afford tinfoil to make me a hat. ;D
I've been looking at some anti-vaxxer misrepresentations of statistics. As a faithful listener to "More or Less" I understood that statistics in the tables didn't show what was claimed by the author. Some articles are from a UK-based website to which "Newsguard" has given a red "Proceed with caution" rating. Reading the full assessment of the website: "This website severely violates basic journalistic standards. .... A website that has repeatedly published false or misleading claims about COVID-19 pandemic and Covid-19 vaccines ..." It got a credibility score of 7.5 out of 100. A linked article on the same website tells me that a simple cure is in my kitchen cupboard.  ???

Cowban

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 21:01 BST (UK) »
Some anti-vaxxers claim that the vaccine turns people into zombies!
Mimicing the script of the film "I Am Legend".

One of the screenwriters gas had to deny the rumour!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58164833
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 21:43 BST (UK) »
Well apparently, according to a friend, she said her son has read on FB that having the vaccine makes a certain part of the male anatomy shrink!

He read that wrong, it is the possible effect of having covid that can cause the problem.
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk