Author Topic: Anti-vaxxers' arguments  (Read 5917 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anti-vaxxers' arguments
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 14 August 21 15:51 BST (UK) »
Put somebody in a uniform in front of a camera and people will trust what they're saying.

Thus if you put a neat haired, white coated, person in front of a camera to explain the truth, or untruth, viewers will think they're reputable doctors or scientists and tend to agree with them.

When the Covid virus started to appear in Europe and America a video appeared on Facebook.   This video showed the front of a hospital, then the main doors were thrown open and a female in a blue uniform rushed out through the doors, arms held upward at an angle to make herself larger and her voice could be heard shouting "There's No Such thing as Covid".

The audience were expected to think she had been checking blood samples and had found no sign of a strange new virus.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 14 August 21 16:48 BST (UK) »
I HATE vaccinations, having had many daily over a long period of time when I had a blood clot and again daily during another time of serious illness

I don't think anyone 'likes' to be vaccinated for anything however we can ( I think) all acknowledge vaccines have made us as individuals and society safe or safer from many previous 'killer' diseases/viruses over the decades. ... such as the flu, TB etc

It is hard to remember the shock/fear we felt when 'invisible' covid hit compared to now where we are all far more aware. Also the speed in producing vaccines worried many certainly did me and brought to the for questions like  'how safe is it?'... 'what long term affects could it cause?'... 'why are the medical profession being given AZ and the public Pfizer?'
I refuse to look at social media and the fors/against as it breeds 'pack/mob mentality'  ( same as I have not read the RC posts previously, so forgive me if I am repeating anything others have already said)

I don't like vaccines so I am someone who would/could avoid having it. I needed to get the correct, knowledgable and honest answers ( good or bad) before I made any decision and wasn't finding those answers in the reams and reams of Governments covid information, in fact if anything it made me doubt more.

In making a decision it is based on an individual and what they already think, so if you sourround yourself with others who are confirming 'what you already think' regardless of extremes one way or the other then you make your decision and our brains filter out the extremes to have it or not as humans do not like to be wrong or different.

I sort out and got answers from two or three professionals, also  spoke to three friends of who I trust their judgement (one has chosen not to be vaccinated, other two have)  and decided I should have the vaccine, for my own sake as well as the wider society however I know if I had read anti vaccine media I could easily have made a different decision despite KNOWING much of what is written is nonsense and scare mongering.

......and I could have easily changed my mind several times even after 'trying' to book as the website booking was unavailable*, then two days later it cut out halfway through filling information*, encouraged to try again when I told my friend*( why bother 'something is telling me this is not a good idea) but he actually took change and did it there and then, when I  got to the centre I couldn't park*, then found the 'covid stewards' were less than friendly* and even sat in the chair answering questions she was just double checking the vaccine amount* ( what am I doing here!)  while I was nervously chatting and suddenly she stopped and I was told...she needed to check with the doctor to return to tell me the Pfizer vaccine was not suitable for me* which was  based on information I had said during my nervous chatter*, so that alone could have got me 'running for the hills' as it was not in questions I had been asked about... and told AZ would be a better option and wait for a phone call*, Thankfully the phone call was next day, the appointment two days later so less time to dwell, parking was a nightmare ( here we go again) and no clear signage but I fought through and found it eventually by asking people the staff were welcoming and professional, the only time in my life I didn't feel the injection ( she was VERY good) and I was lucky she did the 2nd jab and same again I felt nothing, although I did start to get anxious, feel hot and feel faint as waiting to go in was a long time( nurse asked me if I was OK she must have noticed the white face, handed me a water and showed me a chair to sit in which was set outside) after the 1st AZ I felt very tired for 10 days and could not sit or stand still afer 1pm or I simply fell asleep, the 2nd one no reactions at all.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 14 August 21 17:03 BST (UK) »
PS to reply #17. My keyboard was being naughty.
A handy summary of COVID-19 misinformation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_misinformation

BBC now employs a disinformation investigator.
Cowban

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 14 August 21 17:11 BST (UK) »
"Also the speed in producing vaccines worried many"

It's not as if these vaccines were developed totally from scratch, you know.  Scientists have been working on mRNA vaccines for decades.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 14 August 21 17:19 BST (UK) »

It's not as if these vaccines were developed totally from scratch, you know.  Scientists have been working on mRNA vaccines for decades.

Dismissing my concern ( and many others who had the same concerns) NOW is very easy however the public didn't know that at the start and at that time the public were not told that either.... so hindsight is brill!
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 14 August 21 17:21 BST (UK) »
Reply #19 iluleah. Getting a vaccine was simple for me in Scotland. Received the blue envelope with appointment for 1st dose at the local mass vaccination centre. There were instructions on how to change appointment if time or venue was unsuitable. 2nd appointment letter arrived on the very day I expected it. 2nd envelope contained vouchers for free travel to & from the vaccination centre.
There were also "pop-up" vaccination centres in a few locations in the county in May for anyone who hadn't received their 1st dose when it had been due.
Young people have a different booking system.   
Cowban

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 14 August 21 17:27 BST (UK) »

Dismissing my concern ( and many others who had the same concerns) NOW is very easy however the public didn't know that at the start and at that time the public were not told that either.... so hindsight is brill!

Thanks for the longer post iluleah. I will leave it at that.  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 14 August 21 17:32 BST (UK) »
   "A linked article on the same website tells me that a simple cure is in my kitchen cupboard."
   Maidenstone - that will be turmeric! ;D

That's not in my cupboard.
Cowban

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 14 August 21 20:00 BST (UK) »

I think it was explained quite early on that one of the reasons it was available quickly was because so much money was thrown at it and also so many people volunteered for trials, that it was usually takes the time.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk