Author Topic: Confusion! Possible Name Change - Hogg - Davidson.  (Read 2171 times)

Offline DudelsackHogg

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Confusion! Possible Name Change - Hogg - Davidson.
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 17:38 BST (UK) »
My goodness. A lot of information, a lot to work out.

Thank you so much for your help.

I do still wonder about the New York John. Perhaps that's what John was up to when he was doing his missionary duties.   

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 18:11 BST (UK) »
Roberta Andrews Stewart Ayre marries in 1922 (address given as 221 Morningside Road, Edinburgh) and her mother, Jean Ayre m.s. Stewart is not marked as deceased.

Offline DudelsackHogg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 23:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I’ve been working through all the information, made up a tree and now have a better understanding. My brain works better visually and it helps me to figure out the connections. I’m still struggling with all these names.

I purchased the Mary Elizabeth Stewart Hogg/Davidson 1905 marriage certificate to George Robertson Brown. It records Mary Davidson 388 Morningside Road, domestic servant, spinster, father William Davidson -Church missionary (deceased) mother Jean Davidson ms Stewart. Witnesses William Davidson and Jean S Ayre.

The fact her father is listed as William and not John here really makes me wonder if the Linton John Hogg could really be the father.

I’ve not found Jean Ayre/Davidson/Hogg death certificate on Sp yet. It’s not the Jane Ayre 1924 Morningside one which seemed like the most likely.

Thanks again.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 23:49 BST (UK) »
Baptisms
John Knox Church (presbyterian), Newcastle upon Tyne
John & Jane

William Waldie Hogg
born 26th November 1878 (transcription only, says 1879)
baptised 4th February 1879

Mary Elizabeth Stewart Hogg
born 10th December 1880 (says 1881)
baptised 18th January 1881

Jane Alexandra Phimisterda Hogg
born 17th February 1882
baptised 5th November 1882

Thinking about Scottish naming patterns - Elizabeth Stewart was Jean's mum's maiden name, so was Alexandra Phimister John's mum's maiden name?

Offline DudelsackHogg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 09:15 BST (UK) »
Baptisms
John Knox Church (presbyterian), Newcastle upon Tyne
John & Jane

William Waldie Hogg
born 26th November 1878 (transcription only, says 1879)
baptised 4th February 1879

Mary Elizabeth Stewart Hogg
born 10th December 1880 (says 1881)
baptised 18th January 1881

Jane Alexandra Phimisterda Hogg
born 17th February 1882
baptised 5th November 1882

Thinking about Scottish naming patterns - Elizabeth Stewart was Jean's mum's maiden name, so was Alexandra Phimister John's mum's maiden name?

It’s quite a trail they have left behind. 

That’s a very good suggestion. If I can find a Hogg + Phimister marriage then that maybe eliminates this muddle from my tree.  Alexandra Phimister should be easier to find than John/Willam Hogg. I’ll do some searching for a William Hogg Alexandra Phimister and see what I find.

The main thing that connects them to my tree is the middle name Waldie and the age. Waldie is also a very common name.

Thinking over some of things you found.

(Marriage notice in Edinburgh Evening News 2 Sept 1905)
George R Brown and Mary Elizabeth Stewart Davidson eldest daughter of the late William Davidson, church missionary and Mrs Ayre, 388 Morningside Road, Edinburgh

Again here, the father is named William Davidson in the announcement. I wonder if Jeanie had another marriage after John Hogg but before John Ayre? Another Davidson. Or if John (William) took his wife’s name.

From Newcastle Evening Chronicle 23 July 1942
Death of Ex-missionary

Mr John W Hogg (74) a former Baptist missionary and native of South Shields has died at Chester after a long illness.  Ordained as a Baptist minister about 50 years ago he took up missionary duties and worked abroad for 15 years.

I’m also still wondering about this John W Hogg. I do wonder if there is a connection or if it is coincidental - most likely the latter. If the article is correct, then John W would have been born Abt. 1868 and started his missionary work in his twenties.

All still very puzzling.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 12:13 BST (UK) »
Looking at Jeanie Stewart/Dunn:

I think Jane/Jeanie was illegitimately born to Elizabeth Stewart.  Elizabeth then married David Dunn on 21st Oct 1859 in Dumbarton and Jeanie took her step-father's surname.
On the 1861 census, David, Elizabeth, Jane and young son George are at Greens Yard, North Shields.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7NL-DSY : 13 August 2020

David Dunn dies on 9th August 1866 (as per death notice in Shields Daily News, 11 Aug 1866)

Elizabeth Dunn eventually moves back to Scotland, where by the time of the 1891 census she is in Largo, Fife with three grandchildren who you might recognise the names of.........
William Davidson
Mary Davidson
Jeanie Davidson

(on the 1891 census, Elisabeth's name is spelt with an s instead of a z)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 13:41 BST (UK) »
I think I have solved the (minor!) mystery of the middle names "Alexandra Phimister" - there is a notice of death in the Dundee Evening Telegraph 6 January 1921:
Death of noted Newcastle minister
The death has occurred in Newcastle of the Rev. Alexander Phimister, M.A., for 37 years minister of the John Knox Presbyterian Church, Newcastle.
Deceased, who resigned 2 years ago after 45 years of ministerial service, was moderator of the Synod in 1908.  He was educated at Irvine Academy and Edinburgh University, and was minister of the Free Church, Gordon, Berwickshire in 1874,

Offline DudelsackHogg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 15:35 BST (UK) »
Great work Spidermonkey.

I checked the 1859 marriage certificate Elizabeth Stewart - David Dunn marriage certificate.

Attaching it:

Parents are listed as John Stewart and Christina Stewart - not sure of the maiden name,  Frazer maybe ?

The Alexander Phimister is a great find. I had no success searching for Hogg/Phimister.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 17:41 BST (UK) »
Don't think this has been mentioned so far.

There is an entry in Newcastle 1871 for a 23 yr old John Chs. (Charles?) Hogg b. Linton ROX., a commercial traveller by occupation. He is showing as boarding in the household. Can't find it on FS to link, ref RG10; Piece: 5074; Folio: 61; Page: 41.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk