Author Topic: Confusion! Possible Name Change - Hogg - Davidson.  (Read 1375 times)

Online DudelsackHogg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Confusion! Possible Name Change - Hogg - Davidson.
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 18 August 21 11:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your replies and input.

I’ve been thinking about John being being described as a tobacconist in 1884 in Kelso. I would imagine that after the divorce scandal he would have lost his employment as a missionary.

In such a situation it would seem logical that he would return home or to family. I’ve been looking through the Valuation Rolls for 1884 in Kelso for tobacconists. I think John would not have set up on his own and would be working for family or friends.

The tobacconists I found in Kelso in 1884 are:

Shop.4 Bridge Street, Occupier: William Dames, tobacconist
Shop, room, and saloon. 40 Bridge Street, Occupier: Peter Hume, tobacconist
House and shop. 1 & 3 Wood Market, Occupier: Richard White, tobacconist

Richard White is at Wood Market 1871-1886
William Dames is only at Bridge Street in 1884.
Peter Hume is at 40 Bridge Street 1883-1885

In 1886 the occupiers are:

Shop, 4 Bridge Street. Occupier: Thomas Dames, tobacconist
Shop, room, and saloon. 40 Bridge Street. Occupier: Mrs Elizabeth Shiel, tobacconist
House and shop. 1 & 3 Wood Market, Occupier: Thomas Tophan

The Dames are interesting. I checked the census and the occupation of the father Thomas Dames (I think it’s likely the sons in the shop) jumped out at me. A cattle dealer.  Thomas Dames also appears on the Kelso prison registers 1847, 1852 and 1862.

https://www.scottishindexes.com/61transcript.aspx?houseid=79309064

https://www.scottishindexes.com/ScotlandsCriminalDatabase.aspx

As for the Hogg’s:

Assuming that John Hogg is the son of William Hogg and Mary Waldie.

Then his father William is at 63 Horsemarket and is the occupier of various land.
His brother Thomas is living at 72-74 Roxburgh street:

Shop, Garret, etc 74 & 72 Roxburgh Street. Occupier: Thomas Hogg, gardener

What the shop sells is unclear. On the 1891 census he’s described as a gardener and grocer.

And his brother James is in Rose Lane.

House, Rose Lane Occupier: James Hogg, labourer.

Some of the other Hogg’s that appear in the Valuation Rolls with shops:

House, shop, and cellars, 13 Square, Proprietor: John Hogg , grocer
Shop, 73 Roxburgh Street Occupier: Edward Hogg, grocer

The grocer John Hogg according to the 1871 census is aged 37, married to Jane Black Hogg and has four sons Robert (4), Charles (3), John (1) and William (1 mo). As an alternative connection to John, he’s too young to be the father (and not a cattle dealer) and unlikely to be a brother unless there was a strict following of naming conventions.

Edward is proving trickier to pinpoint as he’s there between the censuses. I see him at 73 Roxburgh Street 1884-1886, 1887 House 2 Winchester Row. Then there is an Edward Hogg at 20 Wood Market 1903-1905.

The Valuation Rolls have been really useful here. I also found out William Hogg - part of the land he’s farming - the proprietor is listed as ‘The trustees of the late John Waldie, per Robson & Smith Solicitors, Kelso’. It’s always been a bit of mystery how from 1871 - 1881 he goes from a ‘gardener’ to a ‘farmer, farming 40 acres’ so that entry has proved incredibly informative and something I need to investigate further.

Online DudelsackHogg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Confusion! Possible Name Change - Hogg - Davidson.
« Reply #55 on: Friday 27 August 21 09:28 BST (UK) »
A rather significant breakthrough.

I got an email this morning to say my Ancestry DNA test had been evaluated and is ready.

I am still looking at the results and trying to get my head around all the matches and how it all works.
BUT!! I do have a match.

I match to a Mr Davidson who’s Great-grandfather is recorded as William Waldie Davidson. The match is 43cM / 1 segment. Still figuring out the cM rating. I would love to get my Dad tested and see where that leads.

Assuming he has the correct information on his tree, then I think I can be fairly confident in saying that Newcastle John is indeed the son of William Hogg and Mary Waldie.

Now trying to find a connection to New York.