Author Topic: help please with deciphering Register of Seamen's Record, BT 112  (Read 675 times)

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
help please with deciphering Register of Seamen's Record, BT 112
« on: Tuesday 10 August 21 21:44 BST (UK) »
Please can anyone help?
I'm attaching the Register of Seamen's Record, BT 112, for Thomas Powditch. I know that the name of his ship was "Eliza", but would welcome any help with deciphering the rest of this record, especially his rank.

Many thanks,

Kit

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: help please with deciphering Register of Seamen's Record, BT 112
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 23:02 BST (UK) »
It looks like the months that he sailed on the Eliza are written above the ships name,  I can make out, June 36, Dec 35,  May, August, December and January. I don't know what the rest means but someone might.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 08:26 BST (UK) »
Looking at the national archives guide, 99/16 are the port numbers so that means Wells to Bridlington. Every port has a different number.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 12:36 BST (UK) »
His rank was C cook. I note his age was 68. Cook was probably the only berth he could get.
The numbers 99/16.
99 refers to the port where the ship was registered. In this case Wells. This would make sense as he was born in Wells
16 is the ships port rotation number.

I looked at Lloyd's Register for 1836 No mention of a ship with the name ELIZA registered in Wells. Wells is a relatively small port mainly concerned with fishing.
Suggest you contact Norfolk Archives for more info.

https://www.archives.norfolk.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/maritime-and-overseas/seamen-and-shipping/registry-of-seamen-and-shipping
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 21:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your very kind and extremely helpful replies - BRILLIANT! As usual, your expertise and knowledge has been invaluable.

Thanks again,

Kit