Author Topic: John Francis Lassiter AKA James Francis Wall or Rupert Henry  (Read 1123 times)

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
  • Australian Heritage - why did my ancestors leave?
    • View Profile
Re: John Francis Lassiter AKA James Francis Wall or Rupert Henry
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 10:09 BST (UK) »
Well!

I have only read through that once so far, but will do so again.

But the thing that occurred to me from your first post was to wonder how likely it would be for Rupert Henry (a Clerk normally dressed in a navy suit) to become a seaman and then a steel worker. (as per Lassiter) And I see nothing at first read to make me un-wonder that.

The weight of evidence as you have outlined it does seem to be on your side rather than Eddy's. BUT, the other thing about your story is that - wasn't James Francis WALL born about 1910? To leave an orphanage just before he turned 18, then turn up to marry in 1933 only leaves a 5 year gap. and he wold only be 23.  That seems rather unlikely too!

I might have mis-understood - will post this anyway and consider.

You have a major grasp on the situation!
Its that 5 years I cannot trace either of them. Rupert went missing in 1929 and is 10years older. James ran from the orphange and reappeared with tales of adventure.
I didn;t make myself clear at one point so sorry.
Rupert was a friend of a famous fiction writer at the time who wrote books (Zane Grey? not sure) of a Jack Lassiter who had the self-same adventures.

Eddy thinks Rupert skulked off to Tasmania which is where John Lassiter claims he was born.

It is unlikley that Rupert is an interloper into my family. I am sure the Wall brothers would have known him to be an imposter!

But... Rupert's family and friends have ties with Gosford where John Lassiter's wife was born.

My James as far as I know has none.

Gladys Dillon lived in Sydney. At one stage I suggested she knew Rupert who came from money, met my James and they bumped him off! Eddy actually thought it was feasable ;D

Perhaps they went to sea together, travelled to America, and or panned for Gold in New Guinea and one was left behind?

Fordham, Armstrong, Blanch, Baker, Jackson, Clarke, Moffat, Wall, Heaney, Caples, Callinan, Hennessy

Medieval: Browne, Cooke, Scot, Bridgwood, Mee

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 10:12 BST (UK) »
May I ask if you have sought out the actual image of the church register?  It should have the signatures of the bride and the groom.   You have uploaded the Official Transcription and the Official copy of the Civil Certificate of registration of the marriage,  but not an image of the actual Church Record.   

Fingers crossed that will help you a tad further.

JM

I believe that is the original. I have tried to find any other copies but nothing for St Philips & 1933, there are other yrs. I’ll keep trying, I might send it to SAG in Sydney, they may know why it’s signed by the minister.
Fordham, Armstrong, Blanch, Baker, Jackson, Clarke, Moffat, Wall, Heaney, Caples, Callinan, Hennessy

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 10:18 BST (UK) »
I will leave majm to respond to that last. But I think she means the Church Register will be another document altogether.

meanwhile you said

They have matched his life story to James Wall's after he left the orphanage. The going to sea, Cairns, America and gold panning in New Guinea.

Where did they get that information from?

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 10:20 BST (UK) »
The wedding of Robert Henry sounds very grand. Does Eddy have photographs? How does he compare in those to the photo you have?

added - oh, is that the other photograph that has just shown up on reply #6?

Yes. Sorry. I forgot to attach it. Yes he was monied and so was she.

I made a comparison photo. should have attached it in the first place.

I don't think they are the same person but its difficult to tell as 'Jim' (John Lassiter) is portly and 20yrs older than Rupert on his wedding day

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 10:24 BST (UK) »
I didn't make myself clear at one point so sorry.
Rupert was a friend of a famous fiction writer at the time who wrote books (Zane Grey? not sure) of a Jack Lassiter who had the self-same adventures.

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 10:44 BST (UK) »
Well!

I have only read through that once so far, but will do so again.

But the thing that occurred to me from your first post was to wonder how likely it would be for Rupert Henry (a Clerk normally dressed in a navy suit) to become a seaman and then a steel worker. (as per Lassiter) And I see nothing at first read to make me un-wonder that.

The weight of evidence as you have outlined it does seem to be on your side rather than Eddy's. BUT, the other thing about your story is that - wasn't James Francis WALL born about 1910? To leave an orphanage just before he turned 18, then turn up to marry in 1933 only leaves a 5 year gap. and he wold only be 23.  That seems rather unlikely too!

this is the conundrum

Rupert born in Cowra 1900
James Wall born in Narrabri 1910
John Lassiter born in 1900 Tasmania

Yes ...why would a 23yr old want to marry a woman 11yrs his senior and change his whole identity and yet reconnect and maintain a relationship with his lost brothers as well as another fact I have not yet mentioned.

John Lassiter bought 2 houses in Shortland, helped his brother who now only has one leg set up a grocery store, owned a grocery store himself and then went to work at Lysaght's. He also allowed my grandparents to live in one of the houses in Shortland where my father grew up until he was about 10.

So where did the money come from?

His brothers had none. One sister, Margaret, may have helped out. She married a dog trainer as in greyhounds and it just so happens she lived near Gladys' family at Randwick. Maybe John Lassiter did a dodgy in the racing world?

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 11:03 BST (UK) »
What have you been told about the marriage certificate for Myrene Vesta’s second marriage?
Ie did she divorce Rupert in Absentia?  Or have him declared dead?  What?

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 11:08 BST (UK) »
From the photographs. I don’t think they are the same man. Their lips are completely different even allowing for say having full dentures in the second photo his lips would still look the same.
Ruperts lips are very thin. Where as Jim has much more fleshy ones.

Offline kdsoph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 11:17 BST (UK) »
Agree on the photos. I am sure the ears are different.

Will need to contact Eddy re the marriage certificate.
I shall return but need to wait for a reply.

Thank you for helping. You rock