Author Topic: John Daniels m. 20 Oct 1861  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: John Daniels m. 20 Oct 1861
« Reply #18 on: Friday 20 August 21 13:37 BST (UK) »
Has anyone looked at the John Daniel with him mum and stepfather in Pancras on the 1861 census https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7RZ-7YY (search Dinah Hill bn 1815).

Dinah A Henderson married William Daniels on 15th Feb 1829 at St Giles Cripplegate - can only see transcript at the moment, so cant check for myself.

First son, William Henry Daniels was baptised 14th March 1838 at St Leonard, Shoreditch.  William gives his profession as watch maker which I know is different to what John says on his marriage cert, but William senior looks to be dead by the 1851 census https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGXR-WLM so perhaps John didn't really know what his dad did.

I realise that there are several points which don't match - birth location (Southwark versus Clerkenwell) but it was the first William Daniel(s) with son John that I had managed to find!

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 20 August 21 22:46 BST (UK) »
Another one to consider:
There is John Daniell born 17 July 1842, & baptised at St Martin in the Fields 15 April 1845.
Father is Ebenizer (occupation - smith) and mother Jane. Address Russell Crt.
- father's occupation fits, although name does not.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline baileyscusa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 17:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Spidermonkey and Neale1961 for the replies - I'll check out both those leads.

The John Daniels I am searching for had several sons, the second of which was also named William H, possibly after his older brother.

Thanks again for the help!
Meek : Essex, West Lothian
Terris : West Lothian
Daniels : Surrey
Blow : Middlesex
Ayres : Staffordshire, Lancashire
Fairhurst : Lancashire
Miller : Lancashire
Weston : Lancashire

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 22:29 BST (UK) »
A couple of other thoughts
First: There are gaps in the 1861 census for Middlesex, which may explain why your John Daniels cannot be found there.

Second: There is a chance that John was born with a different surname (under his mother’s name, or a different father, and when his mother married or remarried, he then became Daniels after his step-father.

With this I mind, I found …..
John William Daniels (occupation smith or silversmith) born abt.1788 Finsbury, Middlesex, died abt 1876 Hackney.
He is living in the Hackney area in census 1851, 61 and 71.
- 1st marriage 1809 Islington to Catherine McEVEN or EBURN
- 2nd marriage 1849 Lambeth to widow Hannah /Anna Rebecca Stair (nee Randell) – b. abt 1795
It might be worth investigating this family more, in case your John was Hannah Stair’s son, or even an illegitimate grandson to John William Daniels the silversmith.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 25 August 21 03:55 BST (UK) »
Another avenue to look at is the relationship to the witnesses at John’s marriage, as the favour (for witness Susan at least) is returned less than a month later…

20 Oct 1861 Holy Trinity Newington,
John Daniels boiler maker married Susan Prole
Witnessed by Charles Peterkin and Susan Stevens

18 Nov 1861 St Mary Lambeth
Charles James Peterkin, boiler maker  married Susan Stevens
Witnessed by John Daniels and Susan Daniels.

But the CP who witnessed John’s marriage has a completely different signature to the CJP that married SS? CJP is the son of James Peterkin, also a boiler maker.

There is a Charles Peterkin, a Cooper, born 1825 Westminster, and his signature is the same as the CP who witnessed John’s marriage.

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.