Author Topic: French to English Translation Required  (Read 891 times)

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
French to English Translation Required
« on: Sunday 15 August 21 10:30 BST (UK) »
I'd appreciate help with this record of an infant death. The mother died within a few days -- on or before 2 April.

Parents: William Francis Cardwell, and his wife, Emily (Moyers), were from Ireland. Not sure why they were in Paris. Maybe the translation will shed light.

Thank you so much!
j
ARMSTRONG: Ireland, Canada, USA  BUCKLEY: Ireland, Canada  DONOVAN: Ireland, London, USA, Australia  DOOLEY: Ireland  DOWNEY: Ireland  ECKERSALL: England, Penang  HAMILTON: Tyrone, Armagh, Penang, England, Wales, Australia, Canada  HAMPTON: England, Wales  MACKEY: Ireland, Canada, USA  McINTYRE: England, Penang  REID: Ireland, Canada  REID: Ireland, Canada  SAWYER: England, Canada  STEWART: Penang, Ireland, USA  TODD: Ireland  TOOLSERAM: Penang, Australia  WATTS: England  WILSON: England

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: FRENCH to ENGLISH TRANSLATION REQUIRED
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 August 21 13:32 BST (UK) »
Nothing helpful I think.

This 28th day of March in the year 1864 at 11 in the morning was presented to me the body of an infant without life, of female sex, born from her mother the 25th of this month at 4 in the morning, at Paris, rue neuve des Capuchines 5, daughter of William Francis Cardwell, landlord and of Amélie Moyers his wife, no profession, of the above residence.
First witness Louis Hauser, hotelier, age 30, resident of the aforesaid rue neuve des Capuchines 5,
Second witness William Francis Cardwell, age 33, father of the deceased, profession and residence as above,
Who have after the reading of this act signed below ...

[added] "landlord" may not be right.  "rentier" seems to be the equivalent of "independent means" or someone who lives off investments etc. Just a placeholder for occupation.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 August 21 16:04 BST (UK) »
Yes the online dictionaries suggest "annuitant" or "person of private means/person of independent means" for rentier
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 August 21 17:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the translation!

I'm not sure why there would be a difference in dates from the 25th to the 28th if the infant was born without life. But I suppose the 28th was when the death was registered or buried, not of the death itself. The translation does provide an address -- every clue helps.

Source: "Paris, France, Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1792-1902 for Enfant Sans Vie Cardwell" on Ancestry.

Curious, would the profession, landlord, be used in the case of someone on a short stay i.e, renting for a visit/holiday? As far as I know, William was a grain and flour merchant in Armagh and Tullyelmer, Co Armagh, Ireland. No records of him being a landlord or remaining in Paris.

I'm still looking for the death record for the mother, Emily [Amelie] Moyers Cardwell.

J
ARMSTRONG: Ireland, Canada, USA  BUCKLEY: Ireland, Canada  DONOVAN: Ireland, London, USA, Australia  DOOLEY: Ireland  DOWNEY: Ireland  ECKERSALL: England, Penang  HAMILTON: Tyrone, Armagh, Penang, England, Wales, Australia, Canada  HAMPTON: England, Wales  MACKEY: Ireland, Canada, USA  McINTYRE: England, Penang  REID: Ireland, Canada  REID: Ireland, Canada  SAWYER: England, Canada  STEWART: Penang, Ireland, USA  TODD: Ireland  TOOLSERAM: Penang, Australia  WATTS: England  WILSON: England

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 August 21 17:48 BST (UK) »
This is their wedding in London in case you did not have it.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NK5Y-1YD

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 August 21 17:52 BST (UK) »
I have just found Emily's death record. I would appreciate help translating it as well. I've attached that image.

Source: Paris, France, Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1792-1902

Thank you!
J

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 August 21 17:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, Kloumann. I do already have that.

J

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 August 21 17:57 BST (UK) »

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile