Author Topic: French to English Translation Required  (Read 890 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FRENCH to ENGLISH TRANSLATION REQUIRED
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 August 21 18:32 BST (UK) »
Curious, would the profession, landlord, be used in the case of someone on a short stay i.e, renting for a visit/holiday?

"Landlord" isn't right.  As mentioned previously, rentier translates as "annuitant" or "person of private means/person of independent means"
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 August 21 18:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the clarification re landlord, that makes more sense. I'd read it but accidentally associated it with the witness. Duh....

J
ARMSTRONG: Ireland, Canada, USA  BUCKLEY: Ireland, Canada  DONOVAN: Ireland, London, USA, Australia  DOOLEY: Ireland  DOWNEY: Ireland  ECKERSALL: England, Penang  HAMILTON: Tyrone, Armagh, Penang, England, Wales, Australia, Canada  HAMPTON: England, Wales  MACKEY: Ireland, Canada, USA  McINTYRE: England, Penang  REID: Ireland, Canada  REID: Ireland, Canada  SAWYER: England, Canada  STEWART: Penang, Ireland, USA  TODD: Ireland  TOOLSERAM: Penang, Australia  WATTS: England  WILSON: England

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 August 21 19:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the probates, Kloumann! I had only seen the probate indexes. Do you have to manually scroll through the associated images? Are they always alphabetical? I'm not having much luck. Any tricks you can suggest?

I am looking for Emily's father, William Moyer's will which I can't seem to find. He died 25 Nov 1860 in Rathmines, Dublin. I've done a quick look through the images 1860-1865 without any success.

Thanks, J
ARMSTRONG: Ireland, Canada, USA  BUCKLEY: Ireland, Canada  DONOVAN: Ireland, London, USA, Australia  DOOLEY: Ireland  DOWNEY: Ireland  ECKERSALL: England, Penang  HAMILTON: Tyrone, Armagh, Penang, England, Wales, Australia, Canada  HAMPTON: England, Wales  MACKEY: Ireland, Canada, USA  McINTYRE: England, Penang  REID: Ireland, Canada  REID: Ireland, Canada  SAWYER: England, Canada  STEWART: Penang, Ireland, USA  TODD: Ireland  TOOLSERAM: Penang, Australia  WATTS: England  WILSON: England

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 August 21 19:44 BST (UK) »
This is the website but no details of the will

http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/home.jsp

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 August 21 19:53 BST (UK) »
This 28th day of March in the year 1864 at 11 in the morning was presented to me the body of an infant without life, of female sex, born from her mother the 25th of this month at 4 in the morning,
I'm not sure why there would be a difference in dates from the 25th to the 28th if the infant was born without life. But I suppose the 28th was when the death was registered or buried, not of the death itself.
I read it that the body was presented without life on the 28th, having been born on the 25th - ie lived 2 - 3 days.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 August 21 19:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Josey, that makes more sense.

J

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 August 21 11:14 BST (UK) »
Death record
On 2nd April 1864 at 2 in the afternoon.
Record of death of Emilie Moyers, no profession, aged 21, born in Ireland, deceased today in Paris, at 3 in the morning at rue neuve-des-Capuchines 5 the place of her residence, the wife of William Francis Cardwell, "rentier", same address; daughter of William Moyers deceased, architect, and Marguerite Sutton, no profession, resident of Ireland.  The death confirmed according to law.
First witness: William Francis Cardwell, 33, profession and residence as above, husband of the deceased.
Second witness: Louis Hauser, 31 hotelier, resident at the aforesaid rue neuve-des-Capuchines 5.

Who after this being read signed together with me.
This record was made by me Auguste Espereau, knight of the Légion d'Honneur, assistant to the Mayor of the 1st arrondissement of Paris, official of the state who has signed below.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 16 August 21 11:47 BST (UK) »
There are newspaper snippets, June 1864 re a court case/dispute between William Cardwell and George Moyers.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 16 August 21 13:58 BST (UK) »
Curious, would the profession, landlord, be used in the case of someone on a short stay i.e, renting for a visit/holiday?

"Landlord" isn't right.  As mentioned previously, rentier translates as "annuitant" or "person of private means/person of independent means"

His occupation was "Gentleman" in the probate register for his wife.(Reply #7) his designation was "Esquire". It seems like he wasn't working for a living at the time of his wife's death.
Ancestors of mine in England, father & son, gave their occupations as "gentleman" in 1830s. Father had retired from a successful business; he and some of his 10 adult children were living on the profits while 4 elder sons were running their own businesses. By 1841 the "gentleman" youngest son was a shopkeeper and his brothers had also come down in the world due to financial and business failures. 
Cowban