Author Topic: Robert Ainsworth. When/how did he get to Australia?  (Read 1118 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Ainsworth. When/how did he get to Australia?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 August 21 02:56 BST (UK) »
The Robert AINSWORTH who arrived per the Duke of Buccleuch into Brisbane, Queensland September 1885, was recorded on the passenger list as aged 17, and a Farm Labourer, and his native place was Berwick.  He could read and write and was a Protestant.  He was part of a Bounty scheme.    On that same voyage and also alighting at Brisbane was a William T AINSWORTH, aged 20, also a Farm Labourer, Read & Write and Protestant.  He was from York.

https://www.data.qld.gov.au/dataset/assisted-immigration-1848-to-1912

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 August 21 03:24 BST (UK) »
There's a further record of R Ainsworth on the Victorian inward passenger lists for March 1889 onboard the Australasian.
As far as I can see the ship "Australasian" came from London (therefore NOT passengers within Australia), and arrived March 1889 at ports Melbourne and Sydney. Onboard in steerage was 22 yr old R. Ainsworth from London - "a gent".
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 August 21 04:34 BST (UK) »
A family in the 1871 Census RG10/4899

Ingle by Berwick, Yorkshire, England.

AINSWORTH all born Yorkshire.  :)
William, head, 42, married, aug. labourer,
Margaret, wife, 42, married
Joseph, son, 14, scholar
Sarah, daughter, 12, scholar
Bessy, daughter, 9 scholar
William T, son, 5, scholar
Robert, son, 2   -,  (born Ingleby Berwick).

That's a long way from West Ham. 

ADD  in 1881 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27B-GVHX  has Robert still with his parents, plus a younger sister, and two nephews, family group at : Kirkby Fleetham, Yorkshire, Yorkshire North Riding, England

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 August 21 05:04 BST (UK) »
Here is a live link to a NSW State Archives index entry for the Deceased Estate file for a Robert AINSWORTH, who died in NSW in 1929.  https://search.records.nsw.gov.au/permalink/f/1ebnd1l/INDEX971782

A public tree at Ancestry has this chap as arriving per the Duke of Buccleuch in Sept 1885.   

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 August 21 05:18 BST (UK) »
1930 Tenterfield Pastures Protection Board  (Bolivia is in that district).
R AINSWORTH, Bolivia, 300 acres,  5 horses, 28 cattle,
R AINSWORTH, jnr, Bolivia, 600 acres, 6 horses, 25 cattle.

1902 NSW Electoral Roll RICHMOND, polling at Bolivia  (females eligible to enrol for first time)
AINSWORTH:
John, Bolivia, farm labourer
Joseph, Bolivia, farmer
Louisa, Bolivia, domestic duties
Robert, Bolivia, farmer
Sarah, Bolivia, domestic duties

Weemalla, are you looking for the chap born West Ham, or the chap who arrived per the Duke of Buccleuch,  I suggest they are two separate chaps...

JM

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 August 21 08:33 BST (UK) »
As a point to assist with the timing of the arrival of the Robert AINSWORTH who married LOWE in Victoria

This link from the Old Bailey where Robert AINSWORTH in Feb 1885 was a witness to family violence.

Selina AINSWORTH
https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=def1-442-18850323&div=t18850323-442#highlight

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline weemalla

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 August 21 11:51 BST (UK) »
I'm actually looking for the arrival of the Robert Ainsworth born West Ham.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 August 21 22:05 BST (UK) »
There is a section on the Vic BDM document where the informant's response to a family history question can be recorded.   That question basically seeks to know how long the deceased has lived in Australia, and in which states..

JM

I'm actually looking for the arrival of the Robert Ainsworth born West Ham.

The Vic BDM historic image for his death registration can be downloaded via your plastic card, 

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 17 August 21 23:32 BST (UK) »
The Vic BDM online INDEX gives the following summary for the death registration for Robert AINSWORTH:
Mother: Selina DAVEY;  Father: William AINSWORTH;  Birthplace: Westham, England; Place of death: Coburg; Age: 74; Registration number (including year)  497/1943   

https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/research-and-family-history/search-your-family-history

There is a marriage also at Vic BDM giving the year as 1899 for Robt AINSWORTH and Ann Mary LOUE or LOWE with Reg No. 305/1899.

I'm trying to find when/how Robert Ainsworth arrived in Australia. What i know is that he was born 1868 West Ham, England, married 1899 Mary Ann Lowe in Victoria, and died 1943 in Victoria. His parents as listed in Vic BDM Historical on-line are William and Selina Reed Davey. Haven't been able to find any clues on how he arrived so any help is appreciated.

Which Vic BDM Historical on-line gives you 'Reed' as one of the names of his mother?    

JM