Author Topic: Diary > Summary - Week ending 22nd August  (Read 4282 times)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Summary - Week ending 22nd August
« on: Monday 16 August 21 09:42 BST (UK) »
Looking forward to hearing news from everyone from Monday 16th August. Life seems to be getting busier for a lot of people, hope there are more enjoyable events to report this week.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Summary - Week ending 22nd August
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 August 21 12:35 BST (UK) »
Yes Roobarb people  are  venturing  out more, I  heard  someone recently  say  she   hasn't  been out  for the  whole  duration and was  going to give  everything  up  because  she  couldn't  be  bothered, I  can understand  that  as  we  have  found  comfort  in  our own surroundings  but  what  a shame ?, we have  to start  to get  back to doing what  we enjoyed, with  me  it  was  not  seeing my  friends,  2 in particular which  I would  go walking with, I  haven't  done  anywhere  near  the  amount of walking    I did before lockdown but  must  get  back to it soon when we can meet up.

Don't  let  Covid  win!.

Louisa  Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 August 21 17:31 BST (UK) »
Frustrating time. Not really very important in the great scheme of things, but the switch in the very useful table lamp usually by my sofa went wrong. Said lamp - ceramic base, and switch actually in the lampholder area, gave up the ghost. OH says he thinks it can't be fixed ... after much argument, as it is the second of a pair, and I really liked them both, we popped out today, to try to buy another base, so I can see comfortably to read whilst he watches Television in same area..... but bases are not available without a shade, it seems.
So bought a complete lamp we both quite liked the base of, prepared to discard the shade and replace with shade from one of the original pair of lamps (I almost never throw things away, still hoping to get a repair done).
Got home, unwrapped the lamp, removed the shade, put old shade on .... yes, it looks better with that on .... go to put a bulb in..... what? Edison screw fitment??? Whatever's that?
Back to shop, purchase fourpack of correct edison screw fitting bulbs, home and .... well, it works, but not as brightly as the original.
So after most of a day spent fiddling, arguing, shopping, returning, more shopping ......what a waste!
-And if I could I'd still like a replacement that just pushed into the hole at the top of the ceramic base, letting the wire out at the bottom as originally, but apparently "you can't get the parts"!!!!

Tomorrow is another day (thank goodness)
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 August 21 17:48 BST (UK) »
It is a shame LM, perhaps the person in question said that to cover up a lack of confidence. Personally I've found it very difficult. Around this time last year I'd just gained a little confidence to start going out when my area went into level 4 and then lockdown again. We came out of that and after I'd had my vaccinations I felt a little more confident and started carefully widening my horizons until I was unfortunate enough to catch the virus. Now I have to start all over again and am finding the thought of it rather difficult. I won't let Covid win but it's not an easy battle.

I hope you can get back to walking with your friends, that's one thing that's definitely helped me.

TY, I feel your pain, it's such a carry on these days with the variety of light bulbs available. I have a pack of screw in ones in the cupboard that I bought in error.  ::)
And three of my lamps still have those curly energy saving bulbs in them. ;D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 August 21 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hello All

Louisa, we never stopped going out food shopping throughout (except when we had cold like symptoms or when I had a 2 degrees fever, which I seemed to acquire during one of several trips to the NHS Dental Surgeon, end of last year).

Regarding fatigue, it can be a sign of an overactive immune response
https://www.moleculeralabs.com/chronic-fatigue-immune-dysfunction-syndrome/

Neuroimmune Basis of Fatigue (US)
Amended: More up to date articles available
 ----------
Roobarb, regarding my no added sugar, low fat fruit yoghurt, I like the fruit taste. When feeling nauseous with hunger pains the fruit Yoghurt slips down nicely.

I send best wishes to all those who are unwell, Mark

Added: I am sorry, there are far better more up to date articles around 2018 onward (than the US one) that deal with the overactive immune response / exaggerated immune response and fatigue.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 August 21 19:42 BST (UK) »
Frustrating time. Not really very important in the great scheme of things, but the switch in the very useful table lamp usually by my sofa went wrong. Said lamp - ceramic base, and switch actually in the lampholder area, gave up the ghost
-And if I could I'd still like a replacement that just pushed into the hole at the top of the ceramic base, letting the wire out at the bottom as originally, but apparently "you can't get the parts"!!!!

Tomorrow is another day (thank goodness)
TY

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Switched-Lampholder---White/p/712981

This what you want?

Mike

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 August 21 20:15 BST (UK) »
Evening all
We had the grandchildren today - age 8 months, 3 and then the 4 year old pick up from nursery so a busy day. Mum had to go into work . I’ve just cut the grass.
I feel like I’ve lost a lot of my confidence and get quite ‘ nervy ‘ about things in a way I never used to. Also not used to having conversations as most of them have been with my husband over this last year plus.
However tomorrow I’m meeting a friend for a walk at the coast. First time since pre covid.
As I said in a previous post, husband and I might go to a pub for a meal sometime this week.
At nursery, I was the only grown up picking up a child wearing a mask. Nursery are still encouraging mask wearing for pick ups etc.
North East of England

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 August 21 16:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Mazi - looks to me as if it might work, but OH says it wouldn't hold in place against the ceramic base???
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 August 21 16:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Mazi - looks to me as if it might work, but OH says it wouldn't hold in place against the ceramic base???
TY

Although it’s described as “pendant” it has a screw thread inside to allow it to screw to the base,  alternatively you can unscrew the innards leaving the existing small white base bit in place and screw the new one into that.

You have nowt to loose except a couple of quid, try it and see ;D ;D ;D

Or post it to me and I’ll do it ;) :)

I’m editing this, we have a ceramic table lamp in the spare bedroom and it’s lamp holder is not quite the same, however this site

https://www.lampspares.co.uk/lampholders/?sort=featured&page=2

Has lots of pictures

Mike