Author Topic: Diary > Summary - Week ending 22nd August  (Read 4277 times)

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Summary - Week ending 22nd August
« Reply #36 on: Friday 20 August 21 21:53 BST (UK) »
Always an interesting read from you viktoria.

Last weekend while waiting for a shop to open, I said to the person next to me, I wouldn't be surprised if this all comes back to bite us again.  I think you are right Carol80, we might be in for a long haul.  My week starting on Monday is full. One is for a hospital appointment to travel to. Yesterday afternoon, I got a text to say that it was cancelled for the day, but the day before has been scheduled for an telephone appointment instead. 

KHP

PS.  Think the hospital was working on the eventuality of having to reschedule/cancel  appointments before last nights announcement of the extension.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 21 August 21 12:28 BST (UK) »
I hope all are well or making improvement.

The weather was pleasant and warm yesterday (hot weather seems to have gone), but got a bit of exercise in locally, fortunately little traffic, quite surprising really, as most driveways have 2-3 cars, some up to 5 cars. Some newish cars stand idle most of time.

I must be the odd one out, I did drive and ride a motobike but had to return my Licence due to a brain condition which is a bit similar to absences and falling asleep (epilepsy was ruled out), so no car here.

Been researching those present at Marriages and feel that someone I believed to be an ancestor in the same town actually is. Trouble is with nonconformism and Mariners, they didn't always bother to baptise their children! There is some other evidence in a tree I have put together from the Census, Civil Certificates, Parish Registers, scans of property registrations, Muster Rolls, newspapers, Family Deeds held by a Solicior and Wills showing a link and also showing my known family were present at the marriages of the descendants of the suspected family, with matching signatures. But extensive tracing and forensic comparing signatures.

It gets my family back to a Marriage of 1731, ties in with information from my late Grandmother and with their ages on the Licence to a birth of about 1707. There is another name on the Marriage Bond and Allegation, but it could be his Brother or Father.

Mrs P and my daughter had to call the breakdown as the car suddenly wouldn't turn over and start, the chap in the tow truck got it going immediately with a mobile pack  :) . New battery fitted now, so let us hope the battery was the problem.

We went food shopping last Monday (England) and everyone in the supermarket (except for one unknown person) had their masks back on again.

My Stepdaughter lives in NZ and we heard NZ were having a 'circuit break' lockdown for a few days originally due to one case. Although NZ cases have since increased and their lockdown lengthened.

Just to show the difference to those in NZ, the UK had over 37,300 new daily infections and 114 deaths in the last 24 hours (announced Friday).

All the best, Mark

Online carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 21 August 21 21:18 BST (UK) »
BushInn; You're right. We are in lockdown till 11.59pm Tuesday. (the whole Country.)
51 Cases total and 10,000 close contacts have been contacted. There have been breaches but nothing like New South Wales. We know what we have to do and most of us are doing it.
50,000 Covid jabs done on Saturday.

Stay Safe
Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 22 August 21 23:49 BST (UK) »
Sorry to hear of the new cases, where ever they may be.
Well Christmas dinner today , lovely , all the trimmings too!
No Pud though, instead cinnamon buns ,warm with brandy cream .
I jokingly said we needed crackers ,and lo and behold there were some !
F.H. was as pleased as I was, he was given the little nickknacks from them but gave me a little notepad and pen from one ,!
He loves a game of giant “ spillikins “ pulling blocks of wood from a precarious tower ,then crash!
Off to grand daughter’s little house tomorrow, for a garden visit if fine otherwise just a chat there,
Have done our home testing kit Covid tests ,negative ,
so at least all OK on that front.
Thinking up names for the new baby when she arrives.
FH likes Elsie, because he has a little friend of that name at the stables ,they play together.
Lois, Lucy.Evie, Athena ,Alice, all liked.
Need to check if work on the line is complete for travel home on Wednesday ,if not will need to book for another day.
Hard to believe FH will be in Year 1, in September.
Hope everyone is alright, those we know who have had bad health and any
new people suffering.
Get well soon.

Cheerio for now ,and thanks for the news that keeps coming to us.
Viktoria.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 23 August 21 08:30 BST (UK) »
Great to read everyone’s news from last week…

My week was certainly a busy one!
On Monday my daughter arrived with the boys to stay for a few days… as always they were full of beans..
On their first full day with us we went to the golf driving range for them to have a go at real golf… 150 balls were sent every where you can imagine some scuttling along the ground others high into the air and some distance…. We then went for a walk around the lake that is part of the natural area around our newish shopping centre… lots of carved wooden animals and birds along the way. Next was a game of crazy golf inside the complex with a dinosaur theme … great fun had by all.

Day two was a requested return visit to Shuttleworth to once again view all the old planes and cars… not many planes coming and going which was disappointing for them and the old open top buses weren’t out to take a ride in as before… it was actually much less busy than our last visit but still enjoyed by the boys.

Day three they wanted to go to Rock Up which is an indoor climbing facility with a wide variety of walls to climb, harnessed on to a wire and was enjoyed by them both especially when reaching the tops! After lunch they left us and once again it took me most of the afternoon to clear up!
Friday was a quiet day!
Saturday morning we drive to Brighton for OH’s nieces wedding… terrible journey saw three accidents, on the opposite carriage ways… couldn’t believe the amount of traffic!
The wedding was delightful and so nice to get dressed up and see family not seen since 2019 when we were there over Christmas!
We’d all been asked to take a test before hand and there were only 54 people in total… reception held at The Grand in a large room well spaced out… once again we saw our daughter, husband and the boys who looked very smart with shirts, ties and jackets! It was a whole new experience for them and everything was taken in! The band who played with guitar players were eagerly watched as they both play the guitar.
Sunday was a family bbq at SiLaws and then return home much better journey!

That’s the sum total of my week…

Oh and the good news is our son has sold his house ( Brisbane) and thinks they could be moved in about 30 days! They had open house with around 100 people viewing it … can’t imagine that number tramping through the house let alone in a couple of hours! Still pleased for them although they’re leaving a beautiful house for a smaller one but with 4 acres of land in which they’ll be able to extend the existing house!

Keep safe and well everyone…. Hope those downunder can get out of their lockdowns soon… you’re numbers are still way less than ours in UK!
Let’s hope we have a later summer of some good weather before plunging into autumn/winter in UK!

Caroline

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 23 August 21 13:22 BST (UK) »
Lovely to hear everyone's news, Viktoria and Caroline you have certainly been having a busy time, sounds very enjoyable. That's apart of course from your dreadful journey to Brighton Caroline, glad to hear the wedding went well and the return journey was much less eventful.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 23 August 21 14:09 BST (UK) »
Yes, good to hear about what everyone's been up to.

Highlight of the week for me was my b-in-l's 70th birthday on the 15th - family meal at a poplular hostelry nearby and all 9 of their grandchildren (my gt. nieces/nephews) together.  A lovely afternoon and one photo in particular shows them together.  Since this is so special to me (and during these gloomy times) have decided to post this.   I did PM Trystan beforehand to see if it's allowed for me to post and he's pointed out some possible repercussions but at the end of the day it's my choice should I wish to do so - after long deliberation decided I will - 3 oldies and the 9 young ones (8 months to 17).

Aside from that lovely get together it's been a pretty gloomy week weatherwise and my only other trip out was to the hairdresser on Wednesday followed by a quick visit to my sisters.   Needed to scan a certificate to email to Australia and my scanner refused to work for some reason.  Now all sorted and certificate sent.

Keep waiting for the return of the warmer weather predicted earlier this month but seems that's not going to happen now.   Typical.   Long to be able to just sit outside again in the sunshine.

Read this morning that over half of all new COVID cases are teens/20's - hardly a surprise with so many just going back to their 'normal' life pre-pandemic now that certain restrictions have been lifted.   I guess at the end of the day we have just got to learn to live with it and personally keep ourselves as safe as possible.

Take care everyone.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 23 August 21 14:16 BST (UK) »
What a lovely photo Annette, I can certainly see a family resemblance amongst the girls. Pleased to hear you had a lovely time.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 23 August 21 14:45 BST (UK) »
Now  we  have  to  do the guessing game,which one  is  you?..?

What  a Iovely  family  group
LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London